Author Topic: film problems  (Read 3348 times)

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
film problems
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Ok so I ordered some film from Stuff for print. I decided to go with the non waterproof for the one timers I do. Well I am getting like it is too much ink on the film like the ink is smearing a little on the letters like it has little spikes coming off them. I called thier R&D and have not got a response yet. I was just wondering if anyone here may chime in.
Epson 3000
And it printed great on the waterproof film that I was already using.
I cleaned the head.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: film problems
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:19 PM »
That's what I'm seeing with a similar non-waterproof film. The ink sits on top too much.
Prints perfect on the waterproof, but after exposure the film is useless.

I can't recall what I used to do with the non-wp film, but I used to get
perfect films that were completely archival quality.

Offline squeezee

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
'Waterproof' films are just so much better than (basically) OHP film.  It's pennies difference to produce.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
Ok so I ordered some film from Stuff for print. I decided to go with the non waterproof for the one timers I do. Well I am getting like it is too much ink on the film like the ink is smearing a little on the letters like it has little spikes coming off them. I called thier R&D and have not got a response yet. I was just wondering if anyone here may chime in.
Epson 3000
And it printed great on the waterproof film that I was already using.
I cleaned the head.

I have a roll of it in my 4000 right now. So far I have not had any issues and I left my ink density the same in the rip. Maybe you need to have the printer lay down less ink? As for it being a one time use mine are holding up perfectly after burning. What issues are you having that you are calling it a one time use?

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »
Gawd, WP films suck.  I am sorry, they just do.  The reason is they are more forgiving..the ink spreads.  If you have banding on NWP film, it's because you have a clogged head.  WP film will wick some of the ink and fill those in.  It also causes more dot gain.  I am sorry, I hate WP film.  NWP film with the right ink lasts just as long.  I've tested both with a densitometer, so I know my results to be accurate.  I get better films and better results on the NWP from spotcolorsupply.com

Also, WP filsm block too much UV for me.  I like the crystal clear-ness of the NWP film.

Get the hybrid ink from inkjetcarts.com and be done with it...you will not find a better ink for films..period.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
Inkworks I was referring to storing the film in X-Ray folders for later use, seem to stick together worse than WP film. My storage is in a non climate control area that may be why. May need to find out how to change density in rip

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:54 PM »
Switch your inks to the hybrid inks, they don't get sticky over time.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
MK went to the website but not see  a "hybrid" ink, can you give a little more imformation ?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
Inkworks I was referring to storing the film in X-Ray folders for later use, seem to stick together worse than WP film. My storage is in a non climate control area that may be why. May need to find out how to change density in rip
Ok I have not had mine in there too long. J. Sheridon has used these for a while also maybe he will chime in.  Jon sent me some in the mail and when I pulled them out they were not stuck together. Like mk162 I love the clarity of the film and lack of haze. 
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »
Probably an insultingly dumb suggestion but are you printing on the correct side?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
I use non water proof film, this stuff is old stock and comes in rolls, the first yard for whatever reason pools the ink but after that the rest of roll prints just fine. may not help but try further in the roll? Unlike NWP film the image can be scratched. I love NWP film but it just too damn pricey even the "cheap" house brand stuff.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
Probably an insultingly dumb suggestion but are you printing on the correct side?
Not insulting, but yes it was on the correct side.... Hoping the R&D will call today.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »
Not insulting, but yes it was on the correct side.... Hoping the R&D will call today.

I've had the same problem with it and only going to WP film solved it. Let me know if you figure out what is the issue.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline stuff4print

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
Hey SportsShoppe, it was great to talk to you the other day, sorry I was not of much help, as I explained the way FastRIP is setup it lays down way too much ink for this ink & film combination. The reason why you can use waterproof film is because it's coating is designed to absorb far more ink than non-waterproof. If anybody on this forum know how to change the ink density settings in FastRIP, that is the answer you and others (myself included) are looking for.

Stuff4Print sells a great deal of non-water proof film to many customer's, but all have RIP's with good density control, and all use a good quality UV blocking dyebased black ink.

If there is anything more I can do to help you, please do not hesitate to call me back.

Regards, Liam :-)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:29:14 PM by stuff4print »