Author Topic: sublimation equipment  (Read 4207 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
sublimation equipment
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:06 AM »
We are just delving into the world of dye sublimation, and i was wondering what equipment you all are using?

Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: sublimation equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
Epson Inkjet 13" wide max  :(, Ink from Cobra Ink Systems, a few mug wraps and a mug press (we do a fair number of mugs) and Hotronix Air-Swinger for the garments. We can't do all over stuff.

We do various pads, coasters, flip-flops (I grew up calling them "thongs" but have been chastised and corrected--threatened really...) and other assorted "trash and trinkets"

There is a learning curve, so take time to "play" BEFORE deadlines loom.

On the printer. They all just seem pretty fiddly to me....just shy of a Genuine Nuisance. I've read about Color Laser Printers and dye sub, but I've not done much more than read. No real inquiries of people I trust. You might call Conde (or others) and see what they say on the topic. I'm tired of having to stop printing a tee shirt job to go to the front to jack around with fussy printers and their equally fussy operators.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »
Ricoh 7100 printer, No-Name mug press, and Hotronix Fusion for garments and other stuff.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
The danger in doing short run sublimation is the amount of time it takes....There is a local print shop that keeps busy doing stuff like this but I doubt they generate much revenue....So important to be mindful that you are not using up time that could be better used elsewhere....I like that sometimes the local folks seem so busy dong this unproductive work that they do not get out selling and quoting......

PS....I am not saying it is not worthwhile, I am just saying you have to be mindful.....

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
We use a Ricoh GX7000 with Cobra refillable ink carts, Geo Knight heat press and several different mug presses.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »
I went from 4880 plugged head to gx7700 from conde with bypass tray, super fast, gel inks. Love it for small up to 13x19 items.
Shane

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
The danger in doing short run sublimation is the amount of time it takes....There is a local print shop that keeps busy doing stuff like this but I doubt they generate much revenue....So important to be mindful that you are not using up time that could be better used elsewhere....I like that sometimes the local folks seem so busy dong this unproductive work that they do not get out selling and quoting......

PS....I am not saying it is not worthwhile, I am just saying you have to be mindful.....

Man, this is SOOO right!

If you are going into this, Royster's warning is on the mark. You have to watch your pricing and scheduling or it won't make you enough to get out of the soup line.  We use dye sub better now, but in the beginning we didn't charge enough. It's a time suck...or can be

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »

Man, this is SOOO right!

If you are going into this, Royster's warning is on the mark. You have to watch your pricing and scheduling or it won't make you enough to get out of the soup line.  We use dye sub better now, but in the beginning we didn't charge enough. It's a time suck...or can be

can you elaborate? is it just getting the color profiles in order?
Night Owls

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
can you elaborate? is it just getting the color profiles in order?

If you get Ricoh from Conde, you will have the profile ready and they will set-it up for you.
My set-up was paid off in 2-3 months, with a few sizeable shirt orders, now is a bit slower, but still has some business coming in.

I'm glad I got the set-up.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
The problem is mostly small orders from individuals that know nothing about art.....Can be very time consuming.....But 6 or 12 of the same design for a business should give you a better return on your time......It is also necessary to buy blanks well....One of the locals that seems to do okay buys skids of mugs....His cost is 1/2 what buying in small lots costs....

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »
ahhhhh ok. we'd be using this for trucker caps, and small jersey orders
Night Owls

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 01:06:30 PM »
Remember sublimation only works on polyester and light preferably white colors. We have rarely had anyone want white polyester shirts or hats. We primarily use it for mugs and mouse pads.  We spend more on ink keeping the heads alive than we do printing items. Most people turn away when you tell them the price including artwork. I find it like promotional products, you need to buy the blanks by the truck load to get the price cheap enough to compete with the big guys.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:11 PM »
Remember sublimation only works on polyester and light preferably white colors. We have rarely had anyone want white polyester shirts or hats. We primarily use it for mugs and mouse pads.  We spend more on ink keeping the heads alive than we do printing items. Most people turn away when you tell them the price including artwork. I find it like promotional products, you need to buy the blanks by the truck load to get the price cheap enough to compete with the big guys.

we do tons of transfers on light jerseys and on trucker caps (which the front part is polyester foam). but yeah that's something to think about too
Night Owls

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
If you can track your actual time, (or pretty close....) and adjust your pricing, you can make some money.

But WOW, I've watched the gals up front spend 15 minutes on one mug, fiddling with art, and charge 10 or 12 bucks.

That's one thing if you are courting a new custy and want to "gift" him a mug in the top of the box of hoodies that you made money on...as a promotional item. It's entirely another if you are trying to make your dye sub time stand on its own, which of course is the goal.

For the right customer, even paying too much for your blanks might work. Usually not.... Just be careful with your time.

Same exact thing with Cad Cut Vinyl. Watch the clock. Any kind of "one-offs" are expensive.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:55 PM »
If you can track your actual time, (or pretty close....) and adjust your pricing, you can make some money.

But WOW, I've watched the gals up front spend 15 minutes on one mug, fiddling with art, and charge 10 or 12 bucks.

Same exact thing with Cad Cut Vinyl. Watch the clock. Any kind of "one-offs" are expensive.

Yes.....