Author Topic: Don't ya love it (a kick to the nads)  (Read 4891 times)

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
Re: Don't ya love it (a kick to the nads)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
Half a million?!? I think you're remaining a hell of a lot calmer than I would be. >:( >:( >:(
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:25:53 PM »
So the thread turned into a big game of telephone?
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:32 PM »
I hold a license in a particular field, and bootleggers stole multiple jobs from me already this year.  I complain to the powers that be, but nothing can be done.  The same group that I am licensed for will buy from unlicensed printers to save money.  How can I win?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
Don't you love it when you follow the rules, follow your ethics, and try to maintain a level playing field, and STILL get kicked in the nads? We have assorted licenses. We fought to get them and keep them. We pay the royalties. We open our books every year for audits. We bust our butts to make money doing things the right way, and strive to build the business for all parties involved. Then we hear about two UN-licensed printers selling, not only in our market, but to customers we earned and served well. Our sales all but disappeared with this customer, while someone else was selling bootleg merchandise. This wasn't a few shirt here and there. The numbers I saw from the end buyer show a retail dollar amount of just north of $495,000. Those are sales we didn't have a chance to make. But I also know we WERE selling to the retailer until our sales dropped for some reason (hmmm?) They weren't our copyrighted design, so we have no recourse. I just hope that properties goes after them for the  revenue (royalties) that they lost because of this. I'm usually not a vindictive person, but I hope someone puts the hurt on these two companies. It will do nothing to benefit us, but the knowledge that something happens would be nice. And yes, we know the two companies that sold the bootleg merchandise, and the retailer that was buying it. Well, back to making some honest money.

All I could add is that you kept to your standards, and can sleep at night. That's priceless.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »
Half a million?!? I think you're remaining a hell of a lot calmer than I would be. >:( >:( >:(

I think the price to public would be that much.  Not what he would charge the client.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Who was it? Might know of them since we are so close. We had TONS of people asking us to print Royals stuff last year during the championship, and we wouldn't do it. It's literally not worth it to get caught and loose our business.

You should at least tip off the proper licensing people to go after them.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 10:11:44 PM »
Might want to drop a dime first Dave.

Payphone reference.....???

I had a feeling it meant that but where the hell do u find a phone for a dime now?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
Don't you love it when you follow the rules, follow your ethics, and try to maintain a level playing field, and STILL get kicked in the nads? We have assorted licenses. We fought to get them and keep them. We pay the royalties. We open our books every year for audits. We bust our butts to make money doing things the right way, and strive to build the business for all parties involved. Then we hear about two UN-licensed printers selling, not only in our market, but to customers we earned and served well. Our sales all but disappeared with this customer, while someone else was selling bootleg merchandise. This wasn't a few shirt here and there. The numbers I saw from the end buyer show a retail dollar amount of just north of $495,000. Those are sales we didn't have a chance to make. But I also know we WERE selling to the retailer until our sales dropped for some reason (hmmm?) They weren't our copyrighted design, so we have no recourse. I just hope that properties goes after them for the  revenue (royalties) that they lost because of this. I'm usually not a vindictive person, but I hope someone puts the hurt on these two companies. It will do nothing to benefit us, but the knowledge that something happens would be nice. And yes, we know the two companies that sold the bootleg merchandise, and the retailer that was buying it. Well, back to making some honest money.

All I could add is that you kept to your standards, and can sleep at night. That's priceless.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but you also won't worry about ending up in court yourself.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:56 PM »
Ugh.

I would ask the licensing agent exactly what you are paying them for if clients can buy that much product from any shop willing to bootleg.  That's crazy to me that it went on so long.

Also,  the client didn't have a problem sourcing that much illegal merch? Maybe better off without them. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk