Author Topic: Replacing blanket on MSP 3140  (Read 3228 times)

Offline innothread

• Verified/Junior
Replacing blanket on MSP 3140
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
First time replacing it.  Anything specific I should know?  It's too busy here to screw something up, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
InnoThread Graphics
screen printing & embroidery

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Replacing blanket on MSP 3140
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:12:26 PM »
First time replacing it.  Anything specific I should know?  It's too busy here to screw something up, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

have some extra self tapping screws in size bigger than what's in there now in case you strip something (on top holding the blanket, at least on the early design)
make sure you put enough glue on it and let it sit overnight to fully set before applying vacuum.
trim after you confirm everything is working properly.
if using neoprene, make sure the side with cloth goes towards the glass.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »

pierre

I have a Workhorse Photosharp and my neoprene is fabric side up. Is the MSP 3140 top different.  I would think fabric side down would make the seal against the glass on the edges not air tight.

TIP: Keep 2 pieces of the cut off neoprene about 4 inches wide by a few inches longer then the small side of your largest frames. Then lay one on each side of your frames, before you close the top, so they cover the corners. I have been doing this with mine and the neoprene still looks new after over 6 years.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »

pierre

I have a Workhorse Photosharp and my neoprene is fabric side up. Is the MSP 3140 top different.  I would think fabric side down would make the seal against the glass on the edges not air tight.

TIP: Keep 2 pieces of the cut off neoprene about 4 inches wide by a few inches longer then the small side of your largest frames. Then lay one on each side of your frames, before you close the top, so they cover the corners. I have been doing this with mine and the neoprene still looks new after over 6 years.

we don't use the neoprene to cover the corners and when the fabric was up we ended cutting the blanket (lasted a week!). With the fabric on the frame it was not an issue any more.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline innothread

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the pointers.  Pierre, what type of glue do you use?
InnoThread Graphics
screen printing & embroidery

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the pointers.  Pierre, what type of glue do you use?

some sort of rubber cement we bought at the auto store. Just ask them for some good quality stuff and count of using a lot of it since the neoprene is porous and it will absorb it.

pierre

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
glue from a dive shop is what Ron Hopkins recommended to me.  its a bitch to change btw.  So glad i dont use vaccum anymore.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »
We do a few of these a year, feel free to give me a call with any questions. Have done all versions of the msp units.

Tony Pernicello

CGS Sales & Service
ph# 856-665-6154
email: info@screenprintsource.com

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:48 AM »
3m weather strip adhesive.  They have 3 colors yellow black and red.  I think the black is the strongest if I remember right.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 05:45:10 AM »
Any of the adheasives mentioned will work if it's a neoprene rubber,  I have used solvent based contact cement also. Follow the directions with any of the products, most you coat both surfaces and let it dry to touch before mateing the two surfaces.
Surface prep is key.
Make sure you leave enough slack in the rubber for the frames, it should not be flat.
All else fails call Tony or M&R.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
the replacements from M&R are great.  they come with great instructions and adhesive.  I would recommend this route...it's really simple.  It does cost more, but how many years did you get out of the last one?