Author Topic: Brown Firefly  (Read 9913 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Brown Firefly
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
From my standpoint.. I see it as a nice tool of not having to adjust the dryer speed or temp across the wide range of garments we now print on. It's hard enough getting the press ops to adjust the flash temps of the flash on a daily basis let alone the dryer settings.

Being that it is a brown and their history.. had this been a blue creation the drones would think it was the best thing to ever happen, let that thought sit in.

I hope they hit It outa the park with this as they need the recognition for what they accomplished.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »

From my standpoint.. I see it as a nice tool of not having to adjust the dryer speed or temp across the wide range of garments we now print on. It's hard enough getting the press ops to adjust the flash temps of the flash on a daily basis let alone the dryer settings.

Being that it is a brown and their history.. had this been a blue creation the drones would think it was the best thing to ever happen, let that thought sit in.

I hope they hit It outa the park with this as they need the recognition for what they accomplished.
That was my thought too"
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »
Are the elements running lengthwise? That would be slick to be able to turn down one side of the belt heat for poly or whatever.
Kind of like a split belt but without dealing with two belts and their associated drive mechanisms, and still having one large
belt if need be. Not sure how well it would work what with the whole oven temp but that would be cool if it worked.

The first dryer I used was a Cincinnati in which the elements ran lengthwise; as they aged, they sagged and after that they would either scorch or under cure. When we called Cincinnati about it, they sent us all new elements in reflectors that ran the other way, problem solved. Now many years later, they might be developed so that they wouldn't sag with aging, but I believe that was the reason for rods traversing the belt instead of running lengthwise. (BTW, never a fan of Brown)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »

I doubt it, the whole thing seems like a gimmick to me, we run more strange, different things down our dryer than anybody I know and I can't see a use for this unit. We now have two dryers for different things, but they don't need to constantly change as we alternate objects down the tunnel, it really makes no sense at all to me no matter who built it. Maybe if you're an extremely busy mall shop who does thousands of different items 1-off all day, but even then I don't know one of those that would be busy enough to need this.

-How is scanning a bar code faster than adjusting two knobs?
-Do you have to wait for one item clears the tunnel before putting a different item down it at a different setting?
-Has anyone addressed how this thing would be suitable for production with at best 1 belt infeed in the ideal distance from an unload station and the other two further away?
-2-3 different units would give you more flexibility due to having better positioning options of separate units.
- What sort of shop would this be suited for?

In the last little while we've heat-cured: Wine glasses, Decanters, cowbells, golfballs, umbrellas, cotton shirts, poly shirts, waterproofed cordura nylon with vinyl ink, flashlights, bike bells, transfers, metal signage with epoxy ink, alupanel signage with epoxy inks and wooden winebox lids with gp ink, and having 3 units in one would make for a crazy shop layout where everything ended up in the same space for dryer offload, I don't know how that makes any sense, 3 separate units would be so much better.

Am I missing the point of this thing? who would use it? Is it suited for mass production, or just sampling? I see where having a quartz dryer that only cures when items are in it may provide some energy savings over an oven that stays at temp all the time, but does it get into gas-dryer efficiency levels?, and the inclusion of optical heat sensors to mitigate scorch and poly-dye migration problems makes sense, but we manage that even with our 30 year old HIX with no air and no digital read-outs of temp or speed, just analogue dials with sharpie marks where they need to be set. 8 years on that dinosaur without issue, best $200 I ever spent.

had M&R built this I'd be wondering what the heck they were thinking too. Yes it includes a few neat sensors, but I think it reeks of gimmick with no real-world application, or at least none that haven't been addressed by something simpler and less cumbersome. Heck, couldn't you just have 5 programmable pre-set buttons on a dryer control panel? How does a bar code scanner make more sense than pushing a single button?

Having quartz flash-cures that auto adjust makes complete sense to me as we adjust those all the time, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why you'd want a dryer that does the same as once it's up to temp/speed, why touch it? Runs of 12 pieces where every one needs a different cure profile?

If I'm completely out to lunch, somebody let me know...
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »

john we would never build that type of dryer for multiple reasons. One to ponder is the dryer pulls 150 amps on 208 volts. Not logical for large or small shops but I could be wrong
Rich Hoffman

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 04:41:39 PM »
i for one think it's pretty neat.  It's clear there are some flaws...like that is way too much power.  But if you are running DTG machines, something like this is awesome.

Maybe too many features, and I of course prefer gas over electric.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »
Some of the specs call for 480 volts dependent upon number of lanes and lane width...

http://brownmfgdigital.com/handlers/assetdownload.ashx?id=38
Dale Hoyal

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
One to ponder is the dryer pulls 150 amps on 208 volts. Not logical for large or small shops but I could be wrong
150 amps.. wow! that I didn't know and is a major draw for any shop.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 02:16:10 PM »
once the manufacturer got involved this topic was split to make it easier to find the correct information. Rest of the thread can be viewed here:

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,14246.0.html

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline fishman08

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 01:25:34 AM »

This is my first post on the board. And I have to agree with jsheridan, If blue 244 does not produce the equipment most or blue drones do not give any other equipment company the time of day, let alone the chance to defend there product. I'm guessing blue 244 and his company have never produced a subpar product. Simply put, if blue 244 didn't build it no one can. You would think blue 244 would be the bigger person and once in a blue moon compliment another company for thinking outside the blue box. Believe it or not competition can benefit both parties. But Im just a troll as you call it and blue 244 and his sheep really do bully the hell out of this forum. M&R is gonna sell equipment either way, but you would think they would welcome another supplier to compete head to head with any of there stuff, but all I read as I troll from blue 244 is all things are not created equal, because if he didnt build it no one can.