Author Topic: Cotton White  (Read 6877 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Cotton White
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
we use the warrior white, and it prints pretty nice. can leave something to be desired in the boldness though, sometimes.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
We have unfortunately seen ghosting here before. The problems were as Rick lays out. Pigment dye...%100 cotton shirts...LB ink ( when not needed )...high speed production...hot stacking.

It was a bit strange at first, but a few changes & not a problem anymore.

Warrior white does have a really nice price point. Seems to print the same as Quick.

Murphy37

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
On the cotton white. We like a soft cotton white for %100 cotton shirts if we can use it for the project, helps keep a soft hand.

Murphy37

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
to be desired in the boldness though, sometimes.

This reads like one of Tony's engrish descriptions of a white ink.

We have unfortunately seen ghosting here before. The problems were as Rick lays out. Pigment dye...%100 cotton shirts...LB ink ( when not needed )...high speed production...hot stacking.

Do you happen to recall the garments/ink by any chance? Not to put a specific brand on blast, but these things are good to know.

I realized that the reason we probably haven't seen ghosting is that we rarely print straight plastisol white on cotton garments anymore.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
to be desired in the boldness though, sometimes.

This reads like one of Tony's engrish descriptions of a white ink.

Do you happen to recall the garments/ink by any chance? Not to put a specific brand on blast, but these things are good to know.

I realized that the reason we probably haven't seen ghosting is that we rarely print straight plastisol white on cotton garments anymore.
It was on an American Apparel, custom pigment bye. Ink was a mix using Wilflex Xtreme White ( when not needed ).

Murphy37

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Ha, well there's your problem- American Apparel.   There's still a lot of Hth Cranberry BB401s out there with black dyed poly thread that bleeds like nothing I've ever seen and is going to ruin somebody's day if they are putting plastisol on it. 

I think Quick actually has a pretty nice hand when printed correctly on a good shirt.  I like it's matte-satin finish.   

Like ebscreen, we almost never print plasti white on cottons, that is DC/WB or HSA these days.  I was inspired to look into this by just one retail print which we're seeing reorders in the 1000s now but it was "inherited" from a prior shop and client did not want anything changed on the method despite my efforts to get them on a DC print. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
here is the thing regarding cost of ink....I DON'T CARE!!!

I buy ink based on what it costs to run, not what it costs to buy.  I can run ink that is $100 per 5, but if it flashes like crap and the whites aren't white, well, is it worth it?  No.

$335 vs $305 is almost nothing when it comes to per print cost.  I like a fast flashing ink that prints great...I can print faster with less power running the flash unit...it ends up being way cheaper per gallon.

I try never to look at what something costs to buy but rather what it costs to run...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
here is the thing regarding cost of ink....I DON'T CARE!!!

I buy ink based on what it costs to run, not what it costs to buy.  I can run ink that is $100 per 5, but if it flashes like crap and the whites aren't white, well, is it worth it?  No.

$335 vs $305 is almost nothing when it comes to per print cost.  I like a fast flashing ink that prints great...I can print faster with less power running the flash unit...it ends up being way cheaper per gallon.

I try never to look at what something costs to buy but rather what it costs to run...

Amen and 100% agree.

I'm near to the point of trying to experiment to find 'better' as well... nearly every experiment since the Quick White has ended in disaster for us...
be it crappy prints on the sample, to inconsistent batches of ink after the first bucket worked well.

Screw it.. we're done messing around...

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
Yes, $30 dollar difference in price is nothing in per print costs for 5 gallons. I was not comparing apples to oranges, check the print parameter specs in the PIB's. There is a one point difference in the flash properties between Sprint/Quick and the Warrior. The Warrior is $134 cheaper than Quick, that's a very substantial amount, especially to a high volume shop.
Dale Hoyal

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 05:28:45 PM »
We quit the Streetfighter series because we couldn't keep it flooded. Quick stays flooded
out of the bucket but...... it flashes slower than the SF, noticeably so, despite the name.
A tradeoff like everything, but this one errs on the side of speed, which is fine by me.

Price doesn't mean anything, but availability (and even who we have to order from) does.
Could have the best white in the world but if I have to chase it down from Rancho Cucamonga*
every time it ain't gonna work.

(one of our suppliers actually is in Rancho Cucamonga)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 07:26:23 AM »
our wilflex dealer is 2 doors down...so I tend to prefer wilflex products.

Honestly, the best inks i've used come from OneStroke...their hybrid red PFP's on black fleece like a white UB.  And EJ Special is a great ink as well...the downside is waiting 2 days...the ink is worth the $450 for a 5er.

Again, cost to purchase should matter less at high volume shops.  high volume means you can't spend an extra 2 seconds per print waiting on flashing, or fighting with inks from batch to batch.

That being said, cutting costs isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't change anything else.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
I would look at Amazing white instead if Warrior. Only slightly more expensive and much better.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com