Author Topic: teflon treated aprons  (Read 1710 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
teflon treated aprons
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
We are going to print some ...does the teflon treatment change anything for typical plastisol ink?
Thanks
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: teflon treated aprons
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
YES. if you are printing multicolor you MUST flash between EVERY color. Because the ink doesnt absorb, wet ink will pull off almost entirely and smear badly if you step on it with another screen. I had a 6-color print that I had to do on these once, and had to setup the revolver to run the aprons around all six times. Didnt get much done that day.

Once all was said and done, I dont recall having any issues with final cure, but you may wanna do a wash test first. The company I worked for at the time wasnt very diligent in this aspect, so I dont know if any issues arose.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
That's good to know, as I have printed these many times, with no special care or procedures but, and it's a big but...never multi color.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
From personal experience and those I talked with over the course of 5 plus years at QCM.

Be ready for the apron to not want to stick to your platen once it gets warm.  The Teflon coating will allow the apron to move a little to a LOT during printing.  Be very aware of how well it is adhering to your board!

Depending on the amount of coating, you May or May NOT, have adhesion issues.  This will vary from batch to batch and brand to brand.  Same thing that happens with jacket printing... every now and then you get a batch that has to much waterproofing and nothing will stay.

If you get a chance, print one, cure it, and wash test it as well as give it an abrasion test.  You may or may not want to add a small amount of jacket adhesive to your ink after you see the results.

Happy Printing!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the guidance guys, didn't think about the teflon not sticking to the pallet, two color job with flash so definitely going to be an issue.
Respectfully
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.