Author Topic: Epson 4880 films not ligning up  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Epson 4880 films not ligning up
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
This is one thing I really can`t figure out. When we print a set of let`s say 4 or 5 films for a job it`s normally the first film that does not line up 100% to the other films. It`s off by up to 0.5mm-1mm in one corner, it`s too long on one side. All other films are spot on. So what we normally have to do then is to reprint the first film. It then matches all the other positives.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: Epson 4880 films not ligning up
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
I'd say the printer isn't warmed up, try running a few 1 color films first if possible, then run the multi-color stuff.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
What I have found is if you print 1 horizontal and the other vertical you will have problem sometimes. M ake sure print all films for a job multi-color one way either all vertical or horizontal.
Shane

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
What I have found is if you print 1 horizontal and the other vertical you will have problem sometimes. M ake sure print all films for a job multi-color one way either all vertical or horizontal.
Shane
We never do that. All multi color jobs run at exactly at the same position. This is something we have learned early on.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
Yea, most printing devices are not 100% true in measurement.  Small images, yes, they can be more accurate. The smaller, the more correct it is. The larger you go, the more it might be off.

Draw a 14"x16" box with an outline stroke of .5" and print it.  You may find that neither side is truly and exact 14x16" and more likely also find that the length will be off more so than the width will be. I don't know if this comes from the program used or the printer used or both. So making a few seps horizontal and another few vertical is not going to work out well in most cases considering you are more likely doing that for size reasons.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
I'd say the printer isn't warmed up, try running a few 1 color films first if possible, then run the multi-color stuff.

I'd agree (especially) if this is a thermal device. It seems you always have to print something else first in the am, before getting them to line up. Even for regular Epson inkjet printers might need to do this if the first job out is a sim process or something with tight registration.  The one color jobs area good suggestion.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
My shop is chilly, so i actually heat up the old Epson 3000 a bit with a hair dryer before printing off tight regi jobs. It makes a lot of difference for us.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
Are you running your Epson off of a PC or a Mac? What version of operating system if on PC?

I have a 3000 that I'd like to get going, (never ran it yet) and it only runs off of Windows (something more previous than 7). But I'm hearing that I can download an old windows operating system on my old Mac Mini somehow and maybe run in in a separate patrician" or something similar".

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
Windoze 7 PC. There are drivers for it available, but they aren't as user friendly as old XP drivers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:54:57 PM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'