Author Topic: Polyken glue issues?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Polyken glue issues?
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
We've noticed some reaction with the inks and the glue on our frames.  Especially the POLY ink.  Has anyone experienced this themselves?  Ideas?

My guy is thinking about taping from the inside as well... kind of a perm block out with polyken tape.  I can't recall anyone doing this or not but I figured someone HAS to have tried it.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: Polyken glue issues?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
We've noticed some reaction with the inks and the glue on our frames.  Especially the POLY ink.  Has anyone experienced this themselves?  Ideas?

My guy is thinking about taping from the inside as well... kind of a perm block out with polyken tape.  I can't recall anyone doing this or not but I figured someone HAS to have tried it.

We tape both inside and out and it works great.  No exposed adhesive at all.  Thanks to bimridder for the tip on that.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Adhesive? I guess that means static frames. Watch out for the Roller Radicals and Newman Nazis! LOL!(note bold and enlarged LOL)
or are you talking about the tape adhesive? Bad news on ganged images from my experience. Need a good cleaning.

For as long as I can remember, I have taped the insides of my statics. It keeps ink from creeping into any splits or voids that develop.

But what kind of reaction are you seeing?
Are you sure it is from ink and not cleaning chemicals?

For those who do what Gilly is considering, how long does Polyken tape stand up to dip tanks and the cleaning process ?

btw, I tape semi-permanently on both sides with standard rubber based adhesive  tape
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:25:14 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »

We tape both inside and out and it works great.  No exposed adhesive at all.  Thanks to bimridder for the tip on that.

how can dave tape on the inside? Whenever we do that, we have such an issue getting screens in our i-image
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:31:21 PM »
Adhesive? I guess that means static frames. Watch out for the Roller Radicals and Newman Nazis! LOL!(note bold and enlarged LOL)
or are you talking about the tape adhesive? Bad news on ganged images from my experience. Need a good cleaning.

For as long as I can remember, I have taped the insides of my statics. It keeps ink from creeping into any splits or voids that develop.

But what kind of reaction are you seeing?
Are you sure it is from ink and not cleaning chemicals?

For those who do what Gilly is considering, how long does Polyken tape stand up to dip tanks and the cleaning process ?

btw, I tape semi-permanently on both sides with standard rubber based adhesive  tape

Haha no statics, I was talking about the adhesive on the Polyken tape.  If you put it on one side only, the adhesive is still there through the screen.  If there's adhesive exposed on the bottom of the screen, it can stick to the glass when exposing screens.  And if its exposed on the top, there are other issues that can pop up.  I've had no dip tank issues or otherwise since taping both sides with Polyken.  On press, I use PMI split liner on the top of the screen only.

how can dave tape on the inside? Whenever we do that, we have such an issue getting screens in our i-image

Its just a small piece sandwiched between the roller and mesh that reaches to the end of the tape on the bottom of the screen.  It isn't taped to the roller itself.  Not sure if that would make a difference on the i-image.

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »
Yeah, I assume Gilly is getting that sticky inky tapey residue.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
Correct.

It could be chemicals, it's during the reclaim procedure that it appears.

I'm guessing it's during de-inking which is why she is telling me that it's "ink balls".

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
I'm having a hard time understanding just what exactly is happening here.  Got a pic of what is going on?  But, we used to tape our EZ frames with Polyken on the inside and outside but we still had to use our usual 3" rubber based tape on the inside.  The inside Polyken didn't serve much purpose when it was all said and done but it sure looked PURDY.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »
We are using Retens (used to be Hix, now Shurlok), the tape on the shirt side (protection purposes) the glue part goes into the "exposed" mesh from the ink side.

We tape up everything during the job but then we remove all the tape and reclaim in the washout booth.  The glue will ball up.  I was told it was worse with Poly ink so that is why we assume it's ink reaction.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
Well, anyone who has ever peeled the tape to use or reuse a ganged image (that was taped on the shirt side) has experienced this.
Especially on an old screen that was left imaged and put away.

I've even heard of concern among some of re-using the ink cleaned out.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
We use old/bad/drops of film to cover the image area and tape it down.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
The old practice was to block out exposed areas, then tape up. And since we never trusted the blockout, we have a 2" brown packing tape that does not leave it's adhesive behind when stripping... so if you have a tape with a lot of adhesive on an exposed area of mesh, I could see it leaking, so to speak

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
Yes rubber tape on the inside fixes this. Needs to be removed and replaced with each imaging cycle

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
You guys don't have any issues with the blanket on the exposure unit sticking to the exposed adhesive?  Or are you taping off prior to exposing?
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
Nope, we were "given" a gallon of Chroma Blue again (we used to use it) and screens like to stick to the glass but not the blanket.  And our blanket is fairly clean.