Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 37512 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
Just build my first AR lower from scratch, only took 40 minutes now what upper to get????
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2012, 11:50:01 PM »

Brandt, this is probably a dumb question but... do you like your FNP-40?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a FNX-40 for the bedside.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 12:48:33 AM »
And as far as 1911's go... this Kimber is the one that I drool over from time to time.

Offline Northland

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
Good info..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:34:09 PM by Northland »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »

Brandt, this is probably a dumb question but... do you like your FNP-40?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a FNX-40 for the bedside.

Yes sir.  Can't complaint bit about it!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
Just out of curiosity what do these guns typically sell for?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »
Gerry that is a very broad question.

The 1911's usually start a little over 1k and easily creep up to 2k.

The FNX-40 should be about $550... you can get a decent 40 for as low as $400.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Don't you just love broad questions! How much do you charge to print on shirts? Lol. I just want a cheap home defense gun.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Just like anything, you get what you pay for (to a degree).

I still stand by my previous recommendation for an FNX-40 (or the FNP-40, like Brandts... almost identical).  Do some searches you will see that it is hard to find a bad thing about these guns and they are a great value.

Plus they have the manual safety + decocker.  Meaning you can have one in the chamber ready to go but with a manual safety on as well as a 10lb trigger pull.  That's pretty much as safe as it's gonna get if you have one in the chamber.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
nice pistols fellas
this my main gun when i go south of the border
Scarface - Say Hello To My Little Friend

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
Don't you just love broad questions! How much do you charge to print on shirts? Lol. I just want a cheap home defense gun.

in my opinion, revolvers and even better, shotguns are a better choice for home defense. Shotguns make it easy to hit stuff and just cycling and loading a round might be enough to get the perp out of the house. I like revolvers as they are less complicated then autos and thus easier to use under pressure. For somebody who shoots on regular bases, semis become second nature and the added advantages of more rounds and semi-auto operation are worth the little extra complication involved in operating and maintaining. Revolvers are much simpler by design and under pressure will be easier to use. Another very slight benefit is that if the round misfires, you can just squeeze the trigger and the next one will go off. With semis you will have to fumble with the slide and clear the jammed round. Chances of this are pretty slim, but still the simplicity and reliability are a better choice for many users.

Good quality revolver and shotgun will cost about the same and you should be able to get them for a little less than a semi. I would guess a 12 gauge for shotgun (somebody correct me here if I am wrong), and a .357 for a revolver. The .357 will also shoot .38 special which is cheaper and has less kick. You can go to the range and use the 38 rounds to get going and once proficient, move to the .357.

Something else to consider for home defense is what's behind the walls where you will have the gun and should the rounds go through them. Some are designed to penetrate and some to tumble and stay inside. If your kids are in the next room, you might want them to stop inside the wall, but there are advantages to being able to shoot through them too.

If I needed something for home protection, I would be buying a shotgun though. I have a closet full of guns (several revolvers, semis and a rifle), but would still go and buy a 12 gauge for home protection rather than use what I have.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
My 83 year old stepdad tells a WWII story about dropping his M1 on the beach and grabbing a 12 gauge shotgun off a fellow soldier that didnt make it up the beach.  he claims the shotgun saved his and his buddies life as the buckshot works better in close quarters. 

my first pistol was a 1960 Smith and Wesson model 19, my second is a stainless Beretta 92FS.

i prefer the .38s in the smith - its an older gun and dosent need the stress of a .357 round.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
there is no better home security system than the sound of a twelve gauge loading a round, it's the universal sound for "get the eff out of here" 

my buddy has his grand daddy's m1 and we used to go clack out original era rounds with it. great, accurate gun imho.

these are fun too...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Gerry, check out the Springfield Armory lineup.  I shopped for a year before I "pulled the trigger" and out of all the major brands, they just appealed to me more.  The Glocks', S&W, Browning, Colt, Sig-Sauer were ALL nice, beretta's too, I really would have taken any of them, but there was something that drew me to the SA XD line of pistols, and it didn't hurt that they were priced right.  I was prepared to pay over a grand for a good pistol but you really don't have to come close to that.

I bought a smaller, more conceileable 9mm Kel-Tec and that thing jammed up on me the first time I shot it.  I don't want to say it was all the gun's fault, the ammo I used could have played a HUGE role but I dropped it off at a local gunsmith and asked them to fix it and then I gave it to my brother.

Totally agree with Pierre, but pistols are cooler :) and more fun to shoot recreationally.  We bought my mom a revolver because of the reasons Pierre listed, and she couldn't pull the slide back on my xd-40.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 01:10:34 PM »
I was looking at a Kel-Tec.  There goes that...I know they are more of a price point gun, so much for that.