Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 35723 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
I was looking at a Kel-Tec.  There goes that...I know they are more of a price point gun, so much for that.

I've read a lot of good things about them, before and after so I don't think you should totally discount them.  My brother has put a few hundred rounds through it and he said it hasn't jammed on him at all.  I will say that shooting it against the other pistols I've shot recently, it is very harsh, very innacurate, kicks like a freaking mule and overall is not pleasant to shoot for fun.  That was the little 9mm, maybe their other pistols are better but that little bastard feels like it's going to fly out of your hand when it fires.  I hate to dog the pistol so much but comparing it to 3 other pistols that I shoot regularly, it's not fun to shoot.  And the thing that dissapointed me the most was it's accuracy.  I missed a standard 18"x24" target completely from 15 yards the first time I shot it, scary.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
My dad picked up a Hungarian PPK knockoff that's a great little pistol.  I think I might lean toward something like that.  I like the size of the PPK for carrying...but the Walthers are just too damn expensive

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
I agree the XD's are nice pistols.  But they are not really cheap.  For what they are they are well priced... but you can pick up cheaper guns that are pretty much as good.  That FNX-40 is an example.

Things I liked about the XDm were that it was a beautifully crafted machine.  It did what it was supposed to and did it well.  It felt great to shoot and was accurate.  It was a pleasurable gun to shoot and own.

Things I didn't like, Though it has lots of "safety features" such as backstrap safety and trigger safety, I really wished it had at least a decocker.  Being striker fire there was only one way to take the pistol out of Condition 0 (A round is in the chamber, hammer cocked, and the safety is off.) Besides dropping the mag and cycling the slide (and double checking via standard manual safety checks).

Personally I prefer to carry my gun in what I call Condition 1.5 (Where the hammer is down (in a double action/single action gun) and the manual safety is on).

I have a two year old and a down syndrome brother-in-law... and though both are pretty smart for their "condition" I'd rather be as safe as possible.  Example, I stow the gun away and "hidden" as much as I can when I go swimming at the in-laws... but by chance my bro-in-law comes across it and is having one of his "head up his ass" moments I want to make sure he likely can't do anything with it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
My dad picked up a Hungarian PPK knockoff that's a great little pistol.  I think I might lean toward something like that.  I like the size of the PPK for carrying...but the Walthers are just too damn expensive

watch out, PPK bites!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
FALSE!  if the PPK was a bad gun James Bond wouldn't carry one.  True story.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
FALSE!  if the PPK was a bad gun James Bond wouldn't carry one.  True story.

I think that Q modified his or gave him a teflon coated glove to use while shooting!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
the xd s are great pistols although I believe the M series are the only ones that don't require a dry fire to strip.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:57 AM »
the xd s are great pistols although I believe the M series are the only ones that don't require a dry fire to strip.

Springfield XDM's are great guns. I have shot 500 rounds and not one problem with my 5.25, 40cal. I just wish the ammo was a little cheaper. $5.00 of ammo per clip adds up fast. I got a Sig 1911, 22cal about 2 weeks ago. Its a fun little gun. 500 rounds is only $20. I have shot 750 rounds with it so far. It has had a few issues. Maybe 10 stove pipes, 30-40 times it didn't load the next round and 2 or 3 other strange things. I guess 50 issues out of 750 rounds is not that bad for a new 22 auto. I have a few upgrade parts ordered for it. we will see if they fix the issues. Still a really fun gun to shoot.

Its cool we have so many shooters on here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:37:57 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of the Sig Mosquito to play around with.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

Guess I'll have to look that one up
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
They have a anodized Pink and black one that is kind of an "electric pink" and I don't care who you are... it's actually a pretty cool looking gun.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »

I almost got the Mosquito. It has tons of bad reviews. It jams a lot. I read that if you polish the feed ramp that it will work fine. The guy I buy my guns from said if I got one to shoot a few hundred rounds with it then call sig and tell them it jams too much and they will have you send it back to them and they will fix it. He said after they fix them they shoot perfectly. 22s are a lot of fun for the money.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
SIG is a few towns over (20 minute drive) and i have yet to visit...

Ive been tempted to take some of the SIG academy classes - but at $200 each, it gets a bit pricey.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 02:23:09 AM »

looks rad. if you shoot a lot why not do it with affordable rounds right?  my friend just got a 1911 of the same variety.  nice gun but it ejected some hot shrapnel in my eye when I shot it, not a fan of that business

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
The sig mosquito Is fun to shoot but if you are looking for something that has a lot less issues check out the S&W M&P 22.  It is more of a full size frame and near identical in feel and function as it's 9mm and .40 cal counterparts.  I like having the ability to do training and weapons handling drills with something that is similar to my everyday carry weapon but is a fraction of a cost to shoot.