Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 38012 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Sam. Question. I'm looking to buy a gun for my home. What are your suggestions ? Something my wife can fire as well. Just something for home defense. Don't plan on doing a ton of shooting.
I was thinking a revolver

.357 revolver! My first gun was a Taurus .357. Easy to use, easy to clean and will get the job done. You can go to the range and practice with .38 specials and have .357 for home defense.
For my hand, medium size frame is the way to go (model 66).  They should be in the $400 range based on the following review (mine is a '94 model):
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95599

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
I looked for a long time till I found one that appealed to me.  Now my tastes are changing a little bit since borrowing a badass 1911 for a while.  I love the short barrel of my XD40 sub and it's extremely accurate for such a short barrel, but the longer barrel pistols, 5" or so is really something I'm looking at getting just to have.  The XD sub is always going to be my carry piece since it's packing quite a punch in a very maneagible package, it will fit in most of my pockets but it's heavy as hell with the big clip fully loaded.  For some reason the Glocks never appealed to me, Baretta...meh, but the Springfields just did and so when I had the look I wanted, then I started researching reliability and quality and the XD line was the winner for me.  Oh yeah, price was a concern obviously so some of the sweet custom pieces were out of the question so I needed to stick with the XD, Glock, Baretta, Taurus, S&W, etc.

It may not be important to some but the two big safety features of the XD were very important to me.  The trigger safety and the grip safety will probably be on every pistol I own from now on.  It's just one of those things I "think" I have to have and it makes the wife feel a little bit safer with them in the house.  I've heard some people talk negatively about the dual safeties on pistols but I personally don't think you need to be firing a pistol without being gripped properly and that's what it makes sure you're doing before it will fire, I think it's genius.  Sure, accidents can still happen, but it makes it way more unlikely.  I've read that it's just a false sense of security and the opposite, that it could hinder your chance of protecting yourself in a quick thought situation but I'm not buying that.

This was the first part of my research, then I got into what really matters in a personal piece.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS299US300&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pistols+springfield&oq=pistols+springfield&gs_l=img.12..0i24.20130.27909.0.31596.22.12.2.8.8.0.153.1212.5j7.12.0...0.0...1c.1.ngPIg-QcJ50

My dad has the XDM45 and a SW M&P40 and the SW isn't near as accurate as my XD and it doesn't feel as if it is as quality of a piece as the XD, even though I know it is.  I actually dislike the M&P when shooting it next to the XD and XDM, but I'd take one if someone gave it to me.  The XDM45 is the second finest pistol I've shot, behind an SVI Infinity 45.  It wasnt' as accurate as the SVI but it was pretty close, and I doubt anything is going to feel as effortless and smooth as the SVI, it is truly a luxury ride compared to the other pistols I've shot. But it's not really fair to compare the SVI to a gun you can buy in a case at the sporting goods store, it's in a completely different league.

I am going to have to throw this out . . .
Yes, I believe the SVI to be the best gun money can buy (happen to have one as mentioned on the first page of this thread), but more importantly, XDm is designed and made in Croatia! As some here know, while born here in USA, I am of Croatian descent and have lived there for a very long time (17 years).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
And you don't own a XD? Shame on you  ;D

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
And you don't own a XD? Shame on you  ;D

I know!  :-[
This thread has me seriously thinking about getting one!

pierre

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2012, 11:19:33 AM »
I just contacted a bunch of local shops and there is very slim pickings in the 4-600 dollar price range.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »
Im on a gun craze now. Picked up a xd9 sub compact. Sweet gun. Also picked up a little Mossberg 715T tactical 22lr, fun to shoot as well. Looking for a 12 gauge shotgun next or an ar15 or ak47.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
I have an AK. Registered legally here in Cali as a pistol so they cannot take it away. Wanna do some trading or you can buy it.... ;)
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
LOL  Nice!

I have an $1,800 credit with one of the local gun shops for printing shirts for them.  Just waiting for them to get the pieces we want!  I have a nice wish list and more shirts to print soon I hope!

Also trying to work out a deal with another gun shop in central Louisiana as well! :)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
LOL  Nice!

I have an $1,800 credit with one of the local gun shops for printing shirts for them.  Just waiting for them to get the pieces we want!  I have a nice wish list and more shirts to print soon I hope!

Also trying to work out a deal with another gun shop in central Louisiana as well! :)

Bought it from a Homicide Investigator too. Legally. It is actually legal to own it here. Crazy state I live in....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
I have an AK. Registered legally here in Cali as a pistol so they cannot take it away. Wanna do some trading or you can buy it.... ;)
I have nothing to trade yet lol. What would you want fir it?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 06:49:29 PM »
you will like this

Underwater Bullets at 27,000fps - The Slow Mo Guys

Funny how the "air" displacement happens and then goes way with no trace or bubbles...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:56:58 PM by Jon »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
Funny you posted this up again.  I just came fro my truck and something reminded me of a time back when I lived in PA.  While driving to work in the am, on a semi country road. Two beautiful large dogs ran out in front of a truck in front of me. One right after the other playing chase. well, they both got hit. Both wee still alive and now laying, barley yelping in some lady's yard. She came out, I stopped and the guy that hit them kept driving. The owner of the dogs happened to be now driving off to work and saw the commotion and realized they were his dogs.

They lay there, bloody, broken bones, alive but still seizing. The owner takes a gun out of his truck and shoots one in the head while bellowing out cries of sorry. The other lay in misery with obviously no way to recover, but the guy had only one bullet. He asked me if he can use mine. I didn't have one on me.

The lady that owns the yard they lay in, says hold on, you can use mine. So she goes in and comes right back out as if it were near the door. She lets him use her gun on the last one and that was that. He picked them both up, laid them in the truck and that was that.

Don't know why, but I happened to be thinking of that in my truck while out on a run and just came back in.

Just goes to show tho, that most everyone in Pa has one ready for at least one shot. Even the ladies.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
Dan what does your story have to do with the video of guys shooting guns under water. That is the saddest story I have heard for a while.

Why have a gun with one bullet? Was it Barney Fife?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:01:12 PM by Jon »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »

Dan what does your story have to do with the video of guys shooting guns under water. That is the saddest story I have head for a while.

Why have a gun with one bullet? Was it Barney Fife?

Well, the original post was pertaining to 1911's so we have been way off topic to that specific original post to begin with. So, it's not you're thread to get riled over. :0

My post was a continuation of various gun stories that have transpired along the way. It was a gun related story. It was sad. Just something I happened to be remembering and the point was, I was surprised to actually see a women that had her own gun and very near by and ready if needed. Where I grew up, It was talked about, but I never saw a women have one so it was something that sparked a memory. And I wouldn't call that guy a barney Fife. He was pretty burley. Might have been that he had just shot off a few the night before and didn't re-load. Who knows.

Pardon me for not replying to your specific post. Since this is up to 8 pages, I'm sure it may not be the last that does not specifically pertain. It was not intended to lessen your post.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
Dan,

I understand your point. I was not "riled". Your post made me think someone posted the under water video already.

"And I wouldn't call that guy a barney Fife. He was pretty burley."

Didn't call him a barney fife for the way he looked. In the show Andy only let barney Fife have one bullet. I honesty think he was a bigger man then me.