Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 37851 times)

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
Anyone do IDPA shoots?

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
The Sig is definitely a good gun.  The wife wants the rainbow 380 for carry but I can't see spending that much money on a 380. LOL

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
The problem im finding is that the selection for 9mm guns is very limited due to people buying them up and also the California compliance makes for a slim supply.

Your in California. You can't have more than 10 round mags there right? My gun case said right on it not to be sold in California. My XDM mags hold 16 rounds I think. I never load more than 10 at the range. Good luck picking. I did a ton of research also. If I was going to get a carry gun I would get a SIG SAUER’s P238. A client of mine came in a showed me his and it was really nice. Its what he carry's. He has over 50 guns so he knows a little or is just a collector.

I've had the Sig P239 for over 10 years.  I think it's just right.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »
I carry a ruger LCP 380 most of the time  love it

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
I'm really liking the compact 9mm right now but the full size Berreta 92fs and Taurus 92 are bad ass.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
Agreed... I do think a Berreta 92fs is sexy.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
I think I'll buy the compact first and then a full size down the road for fun.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »
Agreed... I do think a Berreta 92fs is sexy.

I've got the Taurus knock-off of the 92 in black.  I do DISlike that piece immensely.  Sure wish I'd have spent the extra $ for the genuine article, but that's been 15+ years ago.  Taurus makes better stuff now. I've been sporting a 9X19 pocket piece for a couple of years now and I'm pretty happy with it.  Kahr PM 9 in black and stainless with a Crimson Trace.  Fine weapon, but I was doing it over, I'd have a serious talk with my Ruger Salesman about an LC9.  I you can handle and pocket a sub compact 9 with your particular build, habits, and temperament, it is a reasonable compromise between concealability and that elusive One Shop-Stopability of heavier equipment. 

The best gun you'll ever use for self defense, is the one you actually HAVE! when Mr. Turdhead shows up. What you really WANT is a shotgun.... with 3 or 4 rounds of 00 buck and a place to duck from the splatter. 

But if all you'll actually carry and practice with is a diminutive 380 Seecamp then that is what you'll have to go with. That trumps a breathless one-liner hurredly whispered to The Deity. (Which isn't a bad idea either. Probably automatic anyhow...)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
Yeah, I've thought long and hard about the Taurus "knock off"... but if I get a 92 model vs a 100 model then I might as well get the "real deal" as it would be more for "collecting" vs purpose as I just love the look.

Plus if I keep this Glock 19 then I'll have a 9mm in the bunch anyway which I was going to avoid and buy all 40's... but can't beat the price for the glock 19. (essentially free to me)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
I don't own a 40. And I'll bet I'm the only printer on this board who's had a loaded Glock 19 stolen out of his tunnel dryer...during business hours.

A bewildering scenario, (and a mistake on my part) I kept a loaded 9X19 Glock with one in the pipe, hidden but accessible in a spot mostly known only to me, or so I thought...in my tunnel dryer. We print in a tough part of the city actually, and in the warm months, the back door is often open from my print floor--into an alley. The dregs of society meander through the alley nightly, just trying doors, to see what might pop up....

On our about Oct 1st 2011 at quitting time I suppose...., somebody apparently wandered in that must have known about this weapon, while I was elsewhere in the building,  snatched that sucker and made off with it. Our screenprinting operation is mostly a one man show, and it was I crime of opportunity. I do have a suspect or two, but I'm doubtful either of them would have done this to me, even if certain they'd get away with it.

I'm smarter now. And the police know about it, so when the human turd that took it, or his business associates... eventually gets caught with it in the commission of a felony, I'm not going to jail. The handcuffs kinda hurt my aging shoulders.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:52:23 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
When I was in a warehouse, I had to leave the rollup door open cause it was hotter than hell. No back door. In the early evening my shop was the only business still operating in the industrial park, and there were some "apartments" just up the street. It wasn't unusual for slow roll-by's through the parking lot in the evening, so I kept my pistol loaded. Black and silver. My squeegees are silver and dark blue, so I'd leave the gun behind me on the shelf with the squeegees. It was virtually invisible, but within a step or two if someone came in looking to do some uninvited after-hours "shopping", and I had no way to get out but through them.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
I wish I could carry a 12 gauge. I think things are getting worse in the cities.

"Shopping" is an appropriate term for what happens nearly every night where our shop is located.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:32:05 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
I looked for a long time till I found one that appealed to me.  Now my tastes are changing a little bit since borrowing a badass 1911 for a while.  I love the short barrel of my XD40 sub and it's extremely accurate for such a short barrel, but the longer barrel pistols, 5" or so is really something I'm looking at getting just to have.  The XD sub is always going to be my carry piece since it's packing quite a punch in a very maneagible package, it will fit in most of my pockets but it's heavy as hell with the big clip fully loaded.  For some reason the Glocks never appealed to me, Baretta...meh, but the Springfields just did and so when I had the look I wanted, then I started researching reliability and quality and the XD line was the winner for me.  Oh yeah, price was a concern obviously so some of the sweet custom pieces were out of the question so I needed to stick with the XD, Glock, Baretta, Taurus, S&W, etc.

It may not be important to some but the two big safety features of the XD were very important to me.  The trigger safety and the grip safety will probably be on every pistol I own from now on.  It's just one of those things I "think" I have to have and it makes the wife feel a little bit safer with them in the house.  I've heard some people talk negatively about the dual safeties on pistols but I personally don't think you need to be firing a pistol without being gripped properly and that's what it makes sure you're doing before it will fire, I think it's genius.  Sure, accidents can still happen, but it makes it way more unlikely.  I've read that it's just a false sense of security and the opposite, that it could hinder your chance of protecting yourself in a quick thought situation but I'm not buying that.

This was the first part of my research, then I got into what really matters in a personal piece.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enUS299US300&biw=1280&bih=610&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pistols+springfield&oq=pistols+springfield&gs_l=img.12..0i24.20130.27909.0.31596.22.12.2.8.8.0.153.1212.5j7.12.0...0.0...1c.1.ngPIg-QcJ50

My dad has the XDM45 and a SW M&P40 and the SW isn't near as accurate as my XD and it doesn't feel as if it is as quality of a piece as the XD, even though I know it is.  I actually dislike the M&P when shooting it next to the XD and XDM, but I'd take one if someone gave it to me.  The XDM45 is the second finest pistol I've shot, behind an SVI Infinity 45.  It wasnt' as accurate as the SVI but it was pretty close, and I doubt anything is going to feel as effortless and smooth as the SVI, it is truly a luxury ride compared to the other pistols I've shot. But it's not really fair to compare the SVI to a gun you can buy in a case at the sporting goods store, it's in a completely different league.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2012, 08:01:29 AM »
I shoot IDPA and am a safety officer for the organization...I am shooting the Indoor Nationals at Smith and Wesson in Feb....so excited, this is my 3rd year doing the indoor nationals...talk about a set up...wow...

sam

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
Sam. Question. I'm looking to buy a gun for my home. What are your suggestions ? Something my wife can fire as well. Just something for home defense. Don't plan on doing a ton of shooting.
I was thinking a revolver
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com