Author Topic: guns, guns and more guns . . .  (Read 37848 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: guns, guns and more guns . . .
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
that is what the training is for.  even in a crisis, following your training will help you stay calm because you know what to do.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
D....coming for a guy who has had many many years of training both on handguns and long rifles...training is the key....if you have the proper training..I do not care what they throw at you, you will go back to your training...you mention driving a car...people do not train to drive in a car regularly...they drive them but they are not training...they are just driving...even now I continue to train with the weapons I own....that is the key...keep training...

sam

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
I train for other things all the time, on the rare occasion it happens..that's why I take long showers. ;)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
I train for other things all the time, on the rare occasion it happens..that's why I take long showers. ;)

Don't wanna be caught with your pants down . . . or maybe you do . . .  :P
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

I don't get it...wait....that is awesome. I feel sorry for you but that is awesome...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
D....coming for a guy who has had many many years of training both on handguns and long rifles...training is the key....if you have the proper training..I do not care what they throw at you, you will go back to your training...you mention driving a car...people do not train to drive in a car regularly...they drive them but they are not training...they are just driving...even now I continue to train with the weapons I own....that is the key...keep training...

sam

Sam is right... More to the point ppl drive regularly every day... How much easier is it to drive now vs when you started driving at 15?  That is semi-training for basic driving. Now if you we're able to practice emergency procedures regularly you would be better ready if the need arises.

I'm much better at watching for other ppl while driving because I rode a motorcycle for so many years and you HAVE to watch for other ppl then... Training in a form.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
I've read remarks that everyone should have to ride a motorcycle before getting a license to drive a car. I can say that after 30 years on two wheels, you're senses are heightened. Lots of idiots out there, some of them on motorcycles, too. I rode the Tail of the Dragon one Fourth of July, and coming around a curve, if I'd been in a car instead of on the scooter, the rider coming the other direction would've been a stain.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
Ok I've been getting convinced by a number of gun enthusiasts around me to go with a Glock. I'm liking the baby Glock26. Anyone here have one? It states that it has a state of the art safety system which doesn't seem state of the art. Its just a trigger safety.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »
You will find some that love em and some that don't. 

Personally, I do not like them.  For the reasons you mentioned.  No safety and......when disassembling for cleaning, you have to pull the trigger as part of the process.  Oh and be sure you kicked the live shell out of the chamber when you dropped the clip....hint...hint.

I have a Sig 9mm. for conceal carry.

Glock has a Polymer frame (fancy plastic)

Cleaning instructions on the Glock ------
Cleaning the Glock Series
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:50:39 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
I know own that Glock 19 that my buddy let me borrow (well, soon after I embroidery about 15 articles of clothing for him).  I still don't like it.

Like said... no safety.  I personally practice a high amount of awareness and safety when dealing with it.  But it NEVER comes out the holster that requires pressing the button to get it out.  Even that isn't enough once the baby gets a bit older, but that is when a LOT of discussions will take place teaching her of the dangers of it.  Right now, we just keep it out of reach or on my hip.  As time goes on "out of reach" won't be practical.  This is where safeties and double action come into play... at least to me and the wife.

The Glock will find a home somewhere... just not sure where yet.

FNX-40 will be bed side, Taurus PT740 will be my carry (I hope I can mod the grip to be something I love... or I just come to terms with I hope to never have to really hold that grip and just deal with it.)

On the plus side... a Glock is a fine shooting gun that you CAN'T mess up.  That thing can come out of a week in the mud and fire without an issue.  I just personally don't like it and the wife HATES them (she thinks their "ugly" ;)  ).

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »
I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 bitone over 1200 rounds and not one mess up. They are almost exactly like a Glock. I liked the glock but didn't like that everyone had them and they have a ghetto vibe to them. Don't get me wrong they are the most reliable gun on the market something like only 30 parts. The XDM is the same plastic handle and the same reliability (maybe not as good, some say). I got the XDM for 2 reasons like you I wanted a gun with more safety features and it was a step up from the ghetto gun. The XDM has a palm safety like a 1911 and the trigger safety like the Glock. No hard safety but with both of those you have to be holding the gun tight to shoot it. I keep it very far away from anyone. Its for target shooting not so much protection. If some one did Break in my house it would take me about 2 mins to get it. Not really protection but an option. The other part that made me get an XDM over the Glock is you can reload the brass with the XDM. The glock will egg shape the brass. This makes it harder to reload and shoot. I was told it is possible but you need the right loading equipment. Not a deal breaker for me since I don't have time to deal with that but maybe some day. I keep all my brass just in case. Good luck. Don't put to much pressure on your first gun. You will be getting your second gun in just a few weeks after your first. That is what I did.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:45 AM »
Great stuff Jon. Someone else actually gave me that same advice. Just get one.. The problem with me is im a research guy and the more I research the more options I have and the longer it will take to make a decision.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
The problem im finding is that the selection for 9mm guns is very limited due to people buying them up and also the California compliance makes for a slim supply.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
I was unaware the brass from the Springfield was less deformed. I sometimes pick up range brass, and you can kind of tell the "Glocked" brass is more distorted than my Kahr or my Taurus. Not a huge difference though. I save my spent cases, if I can find them also.

Saving brass is sure easier with a wheelgun.

I load "light" recipes for practice loads anyhow with 9X19. And for protection, I've read you don't want to shoot reloads, for legal purposes, as well as consistency. I think the danger of a split case from over worked brass is way less a concern than lead buildup  with cast boolits in a polygonal rifled barrel. My 357 gets some near true Magnum loadings from time to time. Never a problem, and I shoot hard cast lead sometimes.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
The problem im finding is that the selection for 9mm guns is very limited due to people buying them up and also the California compliance makes for a slim supply.

Your in California. You can't have more than 10 round mags there right? My gun case said right on it not to be sold in California. My XDM mags hold 16 rounds I think. I never load more than 10 at the range. Good luck picking. I did a ton of research also. If I was going to get a carry gun I would get a SIG SAUER’s P238. A client of mine came in a showed me his and it was really nice. Its what he carry's. He has over 50 guns so he knows a little or is just a collector.