Author Topic: am I really alone ?  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: am I really alone ?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »
Actually his MONTHLY amount that he quoted 562.75 does account for those... that times 60 is $33,765  That's not a bad profit for the leasing company.

You have more business than us. :)

We have one full time employee and another "office manager" who bounces between a few different businesses but is mostly focused on the t-shirt business (she's reclaiming screens right now).  My wife does some artwork and I take up space.

We have an auto, two single head embroidery units.  I will say, that the office manager is paid out of another company though and I don't really take a check either.  I keep dumping it back in.  BUT, we are certainly poised for me to start taking a check... I'll probably just bonus out the surplus to the team so they can feel better about the crap wages I pay them. :)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
I wish I could dump it all back into the business.  I would be a lot further along than I am, but having a kid is expensive as hell... :D

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »
People that hesitate about growing should consider what they could be pretty quick with some dedication.

Look how quick it happens for example in early 2011, 2 person company manual and 3 embroidery heads renting space. 2014, 10 person company, on our second auto/dts/led exposure, 22 embroidery heads, full vinyl print/plot set up and own the building.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 01:28:32 PM »
People that hesitate about growing should consider what they could be pretty quick with some dedication.

Look how quick it happens for example in early 2011, 2 person company manual and 3 embroidery heads renting space. 2014, 10 person company, on our second auto/dts/led exposure, 22 embroidery heads, full vinyl print/plot set up and own the building.

What would you say contributed to that success most of all? Obviously people didn't hear that you had an auto and started throwing business your way. Just curious as to what YOU think got you that far along?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
I'd be curious as well.  That is also almost 4 years of growth.  I have only been doing this full time since the beginning of this year, though I have been printing much longer than that of course.  It has taken off really in the last 4-5 months for me, and I am definitely not hesitating to grow.  I have already expanded twice now, from 500 sqft to 900 and now 1200, and I am finally at a point where I need very few things to do basically whatever jobs come my way (I cannot stress how exciting this is!).  Now it is all about specific upgrades to increase efficiency (like the auto and a more powerful exposure light etc.).  The actual growth when it comes to print volume and client base for me has been entirely based on word of mouth and random google searches, and has been very steadily increasing.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »

What would you say contributed to that success most of all? Obviously people didn't hear that you had an auto and started throwing business your way. Just curious as to what YOU think got you that far along?

Yellow page ad. ;)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »

We were fairly well known in a small niche of the automotive market and the options for great printers within it are limited. Most are still manual printers printing 1-2 colors of ink with really basic artwork. We did see a drastic influx (for us) in work when adding the auto and I can only imagine it's because it certainly seems like you are more serious about screen printing when you add a auto. Of course there were sources for this type of work outside the niche but often people like to keep it in the family so to speak. Interestingly we also seen a pretty large bump in business when adding the new CHIIID, no idea why but that's been the case. I think people like to buy from growing small businesses, I know I do so that could play a part.

Yellow page ad. ;)

What's that ;)

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:12 PM »
Word of mouth has been our best friend. It takes a while but it's free so ROI is infinite. Once you start knocking out medium and large runs quickly at good prices, word will spread.

An auto lets you be more competitive on price and turn time and opens up production capacity in a hurry. it saves on wear and tear on employees and lets you have 2/3 positions be fine for unskilled labor (as long as they have a bit of a brain).

Don't buy an auto suited to what you are doing today, but for what you'll be doing once you grow....because you will grow once you  have an auto! (unless you blow it, but if you're really busy with a manual, then you obviously are on the right track)

I bought used at 25% of new price, it wasn't without a few challenges, but I'm able to do my own work on it and wasn't scared of getting dirty, if that isn't you, then new is probably a better choice.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

We were fairly well known in a small niche of the automotive market and the options for great printers within it are limited. Most are still manual printers printing 1-2 colors of ink with really basic artwork. We did see a drastic influx (for us) in work when adding the auto and I can only imagine it's because it certainly seems like you are more serious about screen printing when you add a auto. Of course there were sources for this type of work outside the niche but often people like to keep it in the family so to speak. Interestingly we also seen a pretty large bump in business when adding the new CHIIID, no idea why but that's been the case. I think people like to buy from growing small businesses, I know I do so that could play a part.

Interesting...so you make it a point to tell your customers you're an auto shop? How does that come up in conversation? Fascinating thread this has turned into, for me anyway..I think I might have to take the plunge sometime next year, you guys are talking me into it.

Yellow page ad. ;)

What's that ;)

That's about what I was thinking.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:53 PM »
That was a joke based on Brandt's refusal to answer his phone.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
Interesting...so you make it a point to tell your customers you're an auto shop? How does that come up in conversation? Fascinating thread this has turned into, for me anyway..I think I might have to take the plunge sometime next year, you guys are talking me into it.

Word of mouth mostly, but yes we post on our facebook/instagram and such when we add equipment. It seems to work for us. I dunno if people would get excited knowing that X shop is the same its always been, doing nothing to improve its quality, speed, or capabilities.  I think people like to see shops that are growing, makes them feel apart of it if they are a customer, makes them want to be apart of it if they aren't. 

We don't talk to customers on the phone or in person really.  All internet/email.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »
Don't buy an auto suited to what you are doing today, but for what you'll be doing once you grow....because you will grow once you  have an auto!

Such good advice. Many people buy or hire just enough to get them through current business levels which I find only logical if you want to stay at that level. Which to me makes little sense. Remember when you get real busy you can't make a manual print faster, but that auto your running at 1/3rd speed can run faster if you get a buddy to unload for you....  Which will turn into a part time employee unloading, which will become your full time unloader, and so on.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
I wish I could dump it all back into the business.  I would be a lot further along than I am, but having a kid is expensive as hell... :D

Yeah, we are fortunate to have other business that are doing so well.  I have a 4 year old myself.

You seem like a good candidate for ReWork.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307463745/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
Don't buy an auto suited to what you are doing today, but for what you'll be doing once you grow....because you will grow once you  have an auto!

Such good advice. Many people buy or hire just enough to get them through current business levels which I find only logical if you want to stay at that level. Which to me makes little sense. Remember when you get real busy you can't make a manual print faster, but that auto your running at 1/3rd speed can run faster if you get a buddy to unload for you....  Which will turn into a part time employee unloading, which will become your full time unloader, and so on.

True, true. I'd probably look at a 10 color min.

Offline beautifulgoonet

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
I have worked for a small outfit since hs (though its been 10yrs since i printed and me and boss were the only printers.. now he has passed and an old employee bought the buisness about 5 yrs ago which he ran by himself till he found me but we are it now just refreshing with all the new tech