Author Topic: Everybody make it through over there on the other coast?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Everybody make it through over there on the other coast?
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
Just checking to see how all you guys on the East Coast made it through. Hopefully everyone made it through ok!
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Everybody make it through over there on the other coast?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »
We didn't see a bit of it down here, but thankfully it looks like it was pretty weak by the time it got to new york...just a ton of rain.

Everybody is talking about how overblown it was and how evacuations were overdone.  But if it had worked out the other way, the criticisms would be far worse and the loss of life would be terrible.  10 people is too many to lose in a storm, we should be thankful it wasn't much higher.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
We survived. Lots of trees down and flooding about 1/3 of the state is with out power including me. We really got lucky the storm was down graded because it rode the New Jersey coast line for so long if it maintained the cat 1 hurricane power things would have been much worse. Lots of cleaning up to do today across the state.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
The main problem with the storm was the size of it.  Yeah, it was a cat1, but that effer was HUGE.  So the winds and rain lasted much longer than a smaller storm.

Is your power back on or are you at the shop?

My in laws lost a tree in their yard, that was about it for their area(north of philly).

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
We had no issues, just some rain, we are far enough inland.  Hope everyone is doing ok.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:17:39 AM »
IN albany a lot of flooding outside in the hilltowns...The first time I don't think I lost power at the shop or my house...I was expecting it.

Vermont got hammered..

I was going to go rafting today but roads are flooded out so I can't even get my raft... :(

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »
The main problem with the storm was the size of it.  Yeah, it was a cat1, but that effer was HUGE.  So the winds and rain lasted much longer than a smaller storm.

Is your power back on or are you at the shop?

My in laws lost a tree in their yard, that was about it for their area(north of philly).

Power at work but not at home. The whole shore line is flooded and with out power and will probably be out for a week hopefully not so long for my place. Everywhere you drive there is trees down and wires hanging with yellow tape on them some places look like a disaster zone. Only thing at work is we have no phones yet the net is up and running. As of this morning only one fatality in the state related to the storm. We would have been devastated if the storm stayed off the coast and hit us as a full hurricane.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
I figured the rivers would be really well flooded.

That being said, a guy from where my wife's family lives posted pics of him hanging onto the underside of the bridge and body surfing on the high waters...that were touching the underside of the bridge.  He's lucky he didn't get killed, but I have to say, I wouldn't feel bad for him, and he compares it to skydiving and other extreme sports...you know, ones where you wear SAFETY GEAR.

Ink, I am glad you guys did OK, it's amazing the damage storms like this can cause

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:58 AM »
UPDATE: Just read that there are at least three people presumed dead but missing, one was swept away in a river and two were in a house that was swept a way on the shore line. Looks like we will have at least 4 deaths related to the storm. Anyone that says they over blew this can kiss my a$$. Imagine it came the way they were predicting even at the diminished state it killed dozens of people.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »
You ain't kidding, they were showing rescues of people that decided to stay through the mandatory evacuations.  Sorry guys, but your butt should be stuck there if you decided to stay.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
Pretty lucky, a lot of down branches and leaves blown around, a lot of cleanup, but no damage or injuries, unless no cable, internet or land line counts...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
we got nothing...just a lot of rain...some blowing wind...some small small branches down but nothing bigger than a finger in width...we did not lose power at all....so I think we were lucky....inkman if you need anything let me know...we can get some jobs in this week if need be for you...or for anyone else in the CT, NY, NJ area if needed...

Sam

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »
Sam, can you run some of our work for free?  That would be a nice gesture.  ;D

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
I bet that he has a nice gesture for you
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »
Rochester was just far away enough to just see grey skys and a some wind, not a drop of rain.