Author Topic: Ellipse Vrs Dot shape benefit "example attached"  (Read 26440 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Ellipse Vrs Dot shape benefit "example attached"
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »
http://www.norwb.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13.0;attach=83;image

Ok. Maybe someone can walk me through this step by step to show me the negative. I am serious when I say I am not seeing the point. I'm sure it's me. I'm slow that way.

Ok. I get that the bottom two are different and are (single line angles). I am assuming that the bottom LEFT side is showing a miss alignment...but something happens to the right. I'm assuming that the bottom left is showing how if you miss register, it shows what Yorkie is calling a strobe. Correct?

If the bottom LEFT side is showing a miss alignment, I even prefer THAT over the top two images but not the right. Of course, if that is Yorkies whole point, then just fix the registration. and you will be back to what I've been saying.

A, A single line screen just looks better.
B, You have less variables when using a single line screen.

In the end, these are all just my personal opinions. Not a proven FACT of course. ;) Use what you will.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »
I will add that we use 65 line art for our sim process. At more than 14 inches viewing distance it is hard to discern that there are dots much less a single or four angle set. I also believe at higher line counts mis-registration will be less noticeable.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
I will add that we use 65 line art for our sim process. At more than 14 inches viewing distance it is hard to discern that there are dots much less a single or four angle set.
Thats impressive.  :o

I also believe at higher line counts mis-registration will be less noticeable.

I would agree with that.  I'd love to see some of your printing some time. Images?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
OK, I have an idea. How about next time I print a simulated left chest (huh, it;s been a while since I've done that . . .) I burn the right chest with a a rosette on the same screen?

Dave, can Wasatch output a piece of film with different angles on it? Get one side to be all 22.5 and the other to be rosette? I'd like it to be on the same film so they are both equally registered. Then we are talking same film, same screen, same stroke, same registration!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
OK, I have an idea. How about next time I print a simulated left chest (huh, it;s been a while since I've done that . . .) I burn the right chest with a a rosette on the same screen?

Dave, can Wasatch output a piece of film with different angles on it? Get one side to be all 22.5 and the other to be rosette? I'd like it to be on the same film so they are both equally registered. Then we are talking same film, same screen, same stroke, same registration!

pierre

An excellent idea. In addition, It would also then benefit to not only see a comparison side by side of a good registered print...but then also have one that is miss registered to see the worse case scenario...and see how they compare.

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »
I would agree with that.  I'd love to see some of your printing some time. Images?

Here ya' go:

Dale Hoyal

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
WOW! Very cool!

Who did the art?

I can see the rosette pattern in the sail. Any chance of getting a closeup of that?

really, really nice!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2011, 11:57:43 AM »
Pierre, 
 The art and seps were done in house. If it helps you should be able to hold down "control" and click "+" or "-" to zoom in and out of a webpage.
Dale Hoyal

Offline yorkie

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 12:09:34 PM »
Let me start by saying, GREAT JOB!!! I'm not sure anything can be done to print that job any finer that what you have printed!!! Now let me get out my loupe and discuss it.

In the area encircled by the sea monster, i think i'm seeing a textile moire? What i see is rows of bands where a halftone dot appears to be missing.

Can you confirm if the bands an optical illusion of the camera, burned into the screen or a textile moire?

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
Yorkie, that is from loss of dot in the lower percentages of the white underbase. The cause was probably thread eclipse and not weak film. The screens were imaged with the I-jet. I would guess that they were 3% or lower. The white was on a 230 48 micron thread diameter. We now have some 40 micron diameter in use so hopefully that problem will go away.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Top Stuff. Looks very good.

Any small banding issue in this print is not that big of a deal. Sure, you want to fix it when you see it but it's not very common in a good shop and this looks like a good shop. You may or may not get that at any time depending.  It's just a part of the business when your teetering on the threshold of a thread blocking or not. Some times ya just need to try to hold that 3% and when you do, you have to be right on every time. The thing is, most shops (if not all) are not "right on every time". Therefore, I say it's part of the business.

Gotta work.  Bosses calling.

Edited to be more politically correct.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:00:41 AM by Dottonedan »

Offline yorkie

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
I'd of not even mentioned that banding issue Yokie pointed out.

What is the point of this thread, except for discussing specific issues like this?

Is this forum to boost blue moon's ego? or is it to improve his printing skill?

I see a moire and asked the simple question of its origins. From what i see, i'd bet that if that screen were printed on paper, the pattern would not be visible. Orion seems to be guessing that it the mesh which caused the moire, which would mean that the pattern will still be present of printed on smooth paper.

The dot looks to be darker than 3%, but then again blue moon said his 5% printed as a 17%, so it could be the dot was supposed to be a 3% and it printed as 13%.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:41:34 AM by Dottonedan »

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
I had an issue like this the other day. It was the shirt actually causing the problem. I printed it on a large piece of paper and it was clean. Weird stuff sometimes this thing we call screen printing.....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline DraginInk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »
Very nicely executed! That's a purdy shnazzy shirt for a high school band! ;)

And you're right Duke... what's the point if there's no pointing, showing and sharing.
Here we go ...again

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 01:54:23 AM »
Yorkie, that is from loss of dot in the lower percentages of the white underbase. The cause was probably thread eclipse and not weak film. The screens were imaged with the I-jet. I would guess that they were 3% or lower. The white was on a 230 48 micron thread diameter. We now have some 40 micron diameter in use so hopefully that problem will go away.

While is a none issue to me...and I know I didn't ask you to post this for a critiquing, but since it was opened up as such, I'm betting that it was mesh distortion. Tensioned mesh that is pulled more towards that bottom right corner. I had seen it befo wit mine own eyes. It seems to bend to the right and down. Thats typical of corner distortion but in this print it seems it's a bit far into the printer area.