Author Topic: T-Shirt Email Scam  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Boldline

T-Shirt Email Scam
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I just got an sketchy email from someone requesting shirts to be printed. As I read it a second time over it became clear it was like a poorly written form letter. Instead of replying back I researched the names included and sections of text and found others got similar emails with different names and dates but identical copy otherwise. So I wanted to share it with the group in case someone emails you. Beware because the scammers are attempting to add credibility with what appear to be verifiable details!

"Hello Owner/General Manager

Greetings how are you doing? My name is Larry Cole, I'm sending you this mail because i will be needing your service. I have a seminar coming up  on 10th of October by 3pm.I hope you do screen printing on T-shirts and accept all major credit cards as method of payment! if yes, I have some T-shirts I need you to do Screen Printing on T-shirts. there are a total of 35dozens of T-shirts, all white in color, and i'll like to put at the front of the T-shirts (ARISE AND SHINE), you move down lower and put (ISIAH 60:1)
I need a perfect job on the T-shirts. the total of the T-shirts are 420pcs, sizes are M=74cm 140pcs, XL=78cm 140pcs and XXL=80cm 140pcs.
I will have a private carrier that will have the T-shirts delivered to your shop so you can start the work on them as soon as possible. so kindly get back to me with the requested information below..

Full Name:
Shop Address:
Cell phone and Business phone number:
Types of credit card you accept:
Total cost of your service:

Thanks
Best regards
Rev. Larry"
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: T-Shirt Email Scam
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
Mat, you're lucky. It took a while for this guy to find you. Some of us get these weekly.
I got two requests for huge orders for blanks last week. Eventually, you'll have a special section in your email for these jokers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »
And they always spell"ISIAH" wrong but they want a perfect job.

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:10:04 PM »
I've had a few phone calls like this requesting blanks lately.  Multiple phone calls all coming from different states. Crazy talking to the guy that is trying to bend you over

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Have them deliver the shirts, then keep them.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »
Well played Brandt!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »
Well played Brandt!

I mean seriously one of you guys should really try this. 

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
What is the underlying scam here?

I mean...I could see if it was something like, "I'll pay you more to cover the freight costs and you just cut the freight people a check when they get there."

But what do they gain out of this, some messed up shirts?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
They use stolen credit cards and you are left holding the bag once someone figures out their card was used.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
They use stolen credit cards and you are left holding the bag once someone figures out their card was used.

I get that...but what is in it for them? Usually these scams involve some sort of cash back to a 3rd party for "services" aka freight...that's the scam.

This one...why would they even supply you with the shirts if they're just using a stolen cc?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
I believe they use a stolen credit card to purchase the shirts from another shop, which is why many of us get asked if we will sell them blank shirts (separate scam).  They then ship these shirts to your shop using whatever freight company is in on the scam, and I believe typically they DO ask to be paid by you for the freight just as you described.  I think they show up and basically unload the shirts then say they were shorted on the shipping or whatever and need payment for the difference.

I have been getting word for word the same emails for YEARS and I doubt there is a huge market for shitty white shirts with the same text on them, so even if they are selling them at some flea market or whatever, the main scam is related to the freight.  I doubt they would leave the shirts with you without getting some kind of payment for the freight.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
Maybe that's the deal.

Sadly enough, I know someone who got duped. It was a different industry all together, hose reels, but anyway they got stuck for about 6k if I remember right.

As long as it keeps working, they'll keep trying.

It's just like some of those other emails we get a lot...UPS is NOT emailing you to let you know they couldn't deliver a package and you have to open a zip file to see the details. DON'T OPEN IT. LOL

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »

Tried it.  Shirts never showed up.  I strung this guy along as long as I could and I thought I was playing dumb enough but no shirts were ever delivered here.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:30:38 AM »

Tried it.  Shirts never showed up.  I strung this guy along as long as I could and I thought I was playing dumb enough but no shirts were ever delivered here.

That would have been awesome though if it worked out.  He probably got you on the hook then couldn't get anyone hooked to buy the shirts.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
Good ol' "RISE AND SHINE" email :)