Author Topic: Platten Adhesive  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Platten Adhesive
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »
Okay, the one on mine was half that size(as was the bottle). Definitively a different beast!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
we still have the hardest time doing fleece with this adhesive, but it is way cleaner than spray tak!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
we still have the hardest time doing fleece with this adhesive, but it is way cleaner than spray tak!

I do dread fleece for this reason.

I'm going to have to dust these off and give 'em another try.
http://dri-tack.com/dritack-pallet.htm
I remember that they worked better with some fleece than others, but i quit trusting them. Hoodies cost too damn much to spoil.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 09:48:10 PM »
Interesting with all the products mentioned. 

I just wet a paper towel and rub a couple of times turning the towel.  Pulls the lint and wets the glue enough that it don't grab the towel.  Lightly dry the excess water with a dry towel stopping before the glue starts grabbing again.

Oh, and I use TexTac and it does for me what everyone says Tekmar does for them, lol.  I love the stuff and have for years.  Good thing since I have a gallon.  :D

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Platten Adhesive
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »
I have a bottle of Tekmar High Tack  TB EZ that is designed for Sports Fabrics.
I want to use with cotton T shirts.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Platten Adhesive
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
How do these adhesives work with flash curing?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
I find the waterbase taks work BETTER with flash curing.  when we run 1 color jobs on lights and aren't flashing, it seems like the tackyness is less than when running a job where the platens get warm.

Edit: we use Xen-Tac here from Xenon... works great, straight out of the bottle.  (Stinks really bad on application tho, but 'burns-off' in the dryer, so the garments don't smell like it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »

Why would you want to do that?

I have to assume, since you're asking about the adhesive and curing together in the same sentence, you mean curing on the printing platen. 

Even if aluminum platen, you're running the risk of warping it.  Composite is a definite warp (from someone who knows)

If these assumptions are correct, set up a scrap piece of plywood off the press like a small table and cure on that.  Toss/replace when warped too bad.

My 2 cents.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Why would you want to do that?

I have to assume, since you're asking about the adhesive and curing together in the same sentence, you mean curing on the printing platen. 

Even if aluminum platen, you're running the risk of warping it.  Composite is a definite warp (from someone who knows)

If these assumptions are correct, set up a scrap piece of plywood off the press like a small table and cure on that.  Toss/replace when warped too bad.

My 2 cents.

If your assumptions aren't correct, he may just be wondering how this water based stickum holds up to heat, as it comes in two flavors as an aerosol. There are flash friendlier sprays, or ones that can give problems.

You may want to check out the DIY equipment section though, as someone does want to cure plastisol without a real dryer.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
When he added the curing, along with adhesive and didn't mention flash, I almost have to assume we're talking about curing on the platens.

No matter the effect of the stickiness after that, I cannot recommend that to anyone.  I know because way back when, I had been doing that and since I know how to make my own platens, had to redo all of them because they warped.  This was before my Vastex.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
When he added the curing, along with adhesive and didn't mention flash, I almost have to assume we're talking about curing on the platens.

No matter the effect of the stickiness after that, I cannot recommend that to anyone.  I know because way back when, I had been doing that and since I know how to make my own platens, had to redo all of them because they warped.  This was before my Vastex.

That's the message I imparted in the thread in DIY today, when a flash was suggested as a "get-by-for-a-while" cure solution.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Son of a gun.  Didn't know there was a DIY board.  I see you set him on the path I was talking about.   :)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Platten Adhesive
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:58 AM »
Sorry, I have to check my English, I am from South Africa.   I have these problems sometimes with my American wife.
I meant to ask if the Tekmar works well when you flash the shirt.    We obviously cure in the oven.    The sprays have a different can for flashed shirts.
How do you clean the adhesive off the aluminium platten?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Platten Adhesive
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 06:08:51 AM »
I am doing some testing, using the Tekmar TB HV, it works really well.    Alan said he can print up to 500 shirts.    What do you do then?
Re apply and wait for it to dry?       Doesn't this waste time on a automatic press.
Tekmar say that the TB HB is "ideal product for manual printers", they have a TB10 that is used with a spray applicator but is that not going to be as messy as the cans of spray?
We are applying with a small paint roller with the Tekmar diluted.     So far so good.
I have to get rid of that horrible spray that gets into every part of the machine and factory.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »

I am doing some testing, using the Tekmar TB HV, it works really well.    Alan said he can print up to 500 shirts.    What do you do then?
Re apply and wait for it to dry?       Doesn't this waste time on a automatic press.

If you spry it down with water & give it a scrub with a scrub brush the shirt lint should come off & the glue will still be sticky after. You can add glue again if needed. This really doesn't take much time & the first one is dry by the time you get done with the last. If you put a flash in while doing this they will dry faster but be careful not to burn them.