Author Topic: Employee Appreciation Day  (Read 1551 times)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Employee Appreciation Day
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
Just wrapped it up now. Everyone clocks out at 2:00 but gets paid for the whole day. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Low Country Cuisine etc. Then the speeches, awards, anniversaries (some of them been here for 20 ys) then all the carnival games we take to trade shows are brought out and we are divided by groups of ten (we are 40 strong) and the competitions began with prizes like gift cards are given out all around. I thought it was going to be a little corny but everyone had a wildly great time. Even me. I have to admit that; while this isn't the most money I've ever made, it's the best company I will probably ever work for.
Downside: It was hotter than five hells.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Employee Appreciation Day
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
Nice TP, reminds me I need to do something soon for my guys. Curious how many people are under your roof where your at?

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »
Way to go Tony. Its nice to do something for your guys, even if it feels silly. This year I am going to buy all of my guys a new car. (I work by myself)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:24:31 PM by Jon »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:38:44 PM »
Just got back from lunch with the crew myself.

Each Friday we tend to do something fun twords the end of day, team based stuff to keep moral high and fun.

Last week we cut up 54 pieces of 2x4, sanded them down and made a large size Jenga.. we made it to 35 levels before it came crashing down  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
All good stuff. I think these kinds of efforts are more arduous for smaller shops (and conversely for larger ones) for several reasons. There are a few heartwarming sidebars to today that I may or may not share. Need to sleep on it. Just pontificating a bit on how; perhaps, more attention to the human element is often overlooked here. When it does, I often see it as a negative, as in "more employees=more headaches"
I have never found this to be true, with the exception of where tech trumps humans.
While the tech issues here are well discussed and addressed I feel the human element of what we do and how to grow are grossly unattended to.
Off the SBox but if  there is interest I am willing to continue.
besttp

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »
Tony, we did something very similar last year. We always have a cook out or something when we get through crunch time. Last year we went to a park, rented a pavilion, put out a good spread. Lots of games with mostly cash prizes (who doesn't like a cash prize). We did put a little twist on the whole thing. We charged "admission". We asked everyone to bring a donation for the shelter we support. Filled up the back of my truck and a good part of another. I can't tell you how many winners we had that day.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
Just got back from lunch with the crew myself.

Each Friday we tend to do something fun twords the end of day, team based stuff to keep moral high and fun.

Last week we cut up 54 pieces of 2x4, sanded them down and made a large size Jenga.. we made it to 35 levels before it came crashing down  8)

Last summer we had a Friday team event, burger day. Beginning of the summer made a list of 18 nearby places known for a good burger, every Friday tried a new joint and eventually crowned a winner. Bobby's Burger Palace came in #1 and Five Guys took second.

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
We were going to do something similar but decided not to since my wife and I are the only employees.  No fun with just two people.   ;)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
That's awesome.

We try to bring in lunch at least once a month, often more like every 2 weeks. We all love this local pizza place so we bring that in. I will at times bring in Donuts and such like that too.  Just keeps people a little happier.  We also did the Angel Tree last year as a company together which each employee really enjoyed doing. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 11:59:27 AM »
We were going to do something similar but decided not to since my wife and I are the only employees.  No fun with just two people.   ;)

That's date night!!
It's fun and gets to happen more often!

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Plus its cheaper.