Author Topic: let's talk film  (Read 6150 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: let's talk film
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
before you talk about film..

you need to know what kind of ink is in your printer.

Dye based inks = Non WP films

Pigment based inks = WP films 

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »
Chromaline AccuFast

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
we've been using Fixxons films for a couple of years! Works great!

Ditto
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
We have used Fixxon, inkjetfilm.net and goldupusa.com for they are all about the same.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
Thanks Peter. I use an Epson 1400, I can not use rolls (that I know of). Is it also available in cut sizes?

John, my ink is dye base, so I can use either. Which do you use, or suggest?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »

I landed on the non-wp with dye.
I liked that the film was clear and exposed better on weaker light sources.

just don't get it wet  ;D

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 06:25:10 AM »
Thanks Peter. I use an Epson 1400, I can not use rolls (that I know of). Is it also available in cut sizes?

Shane:  Sorry but the Nazdar ImageStar film is only available in rolls at this time.  In any case you have received some good film recommendations from the other board members that I'm sure are available in sheets.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
I notice in the discussion that some water proof films discussed can be used with pigment or dye ink, I use Fixon and it says dye ink use, and I use black max ink. I occasionally see the ink migration thing going on but it takes sometimes a few days to show up, not a big deal as i usually do the printing of a design one time.  I use an Epson 3000 and 9600 i have have the ink setting turned down as low as i can (I think) to cut down on the ink applied, BUT got to thinking what affects the chemistry of the ink on the film. #1 Humidity and this time of the year I have to fire up the de-humidifier, as my film sticks to the screens the glass etc. and this is when I see the migration the most. But it would be nice to have a film that eliminated the migration issue for one.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »

I landed on the non-wp with dye.
I liked that the film was clear and exposed better on weaker light sources.

just don't get it wet  ;D

I also prefer the non-wp for those reasons. Quicker exposure time and I feel that clear films would give you a better contrast to expose halftones and fine details easier.  (that could be an incorrect theory).

I've had no issues with getting them wet, so am not too concerned.

What brand are you using/recommend?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »
I notice in the discussion that some water proof films discussed can be used with pigment or dye ink, I use Fixon and it says dye ink use, and I use black max ink. I occasionally see the ink migration thing going on but it takes sometimes a few days to show up, not a big deal as i usually do the printing of a design one time.  I use an Epson 3000 and 9600 i have have the ink setting turned down as low as i can (I think) to cut down on the ink applied, BUT got to thinking what affects the chemistry of the ink on the film. #1 Humidity and this time of the year I have to fire up the de-humidifier, as my film sticks to the screens the glass etc. and this is when I see the migration the most. But it would be nice to have a film that eliminated the migration issue for one.

When I was using waterproof (Fixxons) I would rub a light amount of baby powder on the back of the screen before setting the film to it. This solved the sticking issues. In New England and an old mill building it can get pretty humid.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
I also prefer the non-wp for those reasons. Quicker exposure time and I feel that clear films would give you a better contrast to expose halftones and fine details easier.  (that could be an incorrect theory).

I've had no issues with getting them wet, so am not too concerned.

What brand are you using/recommend?

I was able to image and expose a 3% dot on my higher mesh screens using blacklight bulbs with dye and non-wp films.
When using the same art on wp film, i was not able to hold less than a 5% dot.

I was using stuff4printers Winsor film which is pretty much the same as the fixxons film.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
This is what you were using John?

http://stuff4print.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=43_28

Also, does anyone have any experience with Acorn (waterproof) film? If so how does that rank against other films?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »

Also, does anyone have any experience with Acorn (waterproof) film? If so how does that rank against other films?

Acorn is our go to film for the high end prints.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

pierre

Very good to know Pierre! I know you did a lot of research on film a while back. I ordered in a box to hold me over the other day. Do you not use these as your everyday film for cost savings on the less detailed work?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »

pierre

Very good to know Pierre! I know you did a lot of research on film a while back. I ordered in a box to hold me over the other day. Do you not use these as your everyday film for cost savings on the less detailed work?

we pay $80 or so for a 13x100 compared to $59 for 17x100. Acorn gains a little less, but the cost savings is justified with Nazdar's film. We use the Acorn when we run out to tie us over and when doing high level sim process. Our RIP has multiple queues and one is set/linearized up for each type of work we do (film and resolution choices).

what are you paying for the Acorn film? Can you get me the pricing?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!