Author Topic: let's talk film  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
let's talk film
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
What's everyone using for film these days?

I've always been more partial to non-wp. Does anyone still use that, or is everyone waterproof now?

It seems non-wp is getting tougher to find. I've just about finished up using a ton of the old Fast Films I bough a while back.

What are you using and why?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: let's talk film
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

I've always been more partial to non-wp. Does anyone still use that, or is everyone waterproof now?

It seems non-wp is getting tougher to find. I've just about finished up using a ton of the old Fast Films I bough a while back.

try the Nazdar stuff, great price and pretty decent film. We use it for 95% of our stuff.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
I'm using a wp film from inkjetfilm.com had problem with one box, but nothing else since, price is pretty good too.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
We used Fixxons for a long time, but lately, I've been buying Ulano WP from Garston Sign (we negotiated a good price). I know you're somewhat in my geographical neighborhood, so get in touch with Paul Geswell there...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
We used Fixxons for a long time, but lately, I've been buying Ulano WP from Garston Sign (we negotiated a good price). I know you're somewhat in my geographical neighborhood, so get in touch with Paul Geswell there...

Steve

Ulano film tested pretty good too! (At least the stuff I checked).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »
we've been using Fixxons films for a couple of years! Works great!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »

Which Nazdar stuff? It looks like there is a few different items on their website.
try the Nazdar stuff, great price and pretty decent film. We use it for 95% of our stuff.

pierre

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »

Which Nazdar stuff? It looks like there is a few different items on their website.

pierre

$59 for a roll of 17x100
take off 2-3% in your linearisation table and you'll be golden.

pierre

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
what's the difference in quality of films?

I understand the difference between the 4mill and the 5mill stuff, especially on printers that need the extra 'thickness' to grab and not stretch the film.

but otherwise... is there a difference in dot resolution?  I know that the Fixxons that use when viewed under 200x microscope, you can see the 'spray' of the inkjet dots... but I just assumed that was part of the nature of the beast.

something else I'm missing?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »
what's the difference in quality of films?

I understand the difference between the 4mill and the 5mill stuff, especially on printers that need the extra 'thickness' to grab and not stretch the film.

but otherwise... is there a difference in dot resolution?  I know that the Fixxons that use when viewed under 200x microscope, you can see the 'spray' of the inkjet dots... but I just assumed that was part of the nature of the beast.

something else I'm missing?

as with anything else, it is easy to reach certain level, but improvements beyond it are expensive. Think this way, you can spend 20% to get 80% of the way, but you will pay 80% to get the last 20% of improvement. he closer you are to the perfection, more expensive it is to improve.

with that in mind, most any film will work fine and FIXXONS seemed OK. I printed a couple of pieces and did not see any glaring problems with it (but did not run any tests).

Better film will give you better gain control among other things. The WP layer that absorbs the ink will cause it to wick and spread out. This will also, in some cases, degrade the shape of the dot. Better film will hold the dot the size it's supposed to be rather than spreading out. I have also seen film wick and bleed over time after it's sat on the shelf for a few weeks. Trying to reproduce those halftones later is asking for trouble and you could spend time on the press trying to figure out what some dot's are now too big or they suddenly show up! Actually, the ghosting was over a point wide, which would turn your but registration into overprinting!

For any decent film the difference is pretty negligible. I doubt that the difference between my high end film and the cheaper stuff is visible in the print, but. . . at what point do you start accepting acceptable and start stacking the problems on top of each other (compounding them)???

pierre

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

pierre

Shane:  The film that Pierre is referencing is listed on the Tech Data Sheet and Screen capture attached.  $59.04 for a 17" x 100' roll.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
inkjetfilm.net $60 free shipping
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
Glad I don't have to buy that crap anymore!!!! I-Image babeeee  ;D  Sorry had to do it
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 05:17:30 PM »
inkjetfilm.net  here as well.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
me too
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?