Author Topic: hxt not working  (Read 2752 times)

Offline noortrd

hxt not working
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »
CCi hxt not working on water based with hardener. Can we check with diazo for water based?.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: hxt not working
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
How many prints until it breaks down?  My initial guess is always under exposure but there could be any number of things that cause it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
Murakami HVP with 8gs of diazo, harden with MS Hardener.
Dry and expose completely, post expose, dry well, Apply MS hardener throw in sun for an hour.
Impervious to wb and discharge.

Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
Ive stated this a million times,  you haaaaaaaaaaave to give this emulsion a long exposure, Not just the the ole, no slime good to go. We print discharge almost every day with this and NEVER break down, NEVER use diazo, and NEVER need hardener. Again, with out 3k trilight, we are at anywhere from 400-600 LU depending on mesh count, color, 2x2 coating round edge, we are aslo using a DTS, so no glass or film in the way of the light, so these light units are around 4-7 minutes roughly. You have to expose this stuff at the beginning properly or like any emulsion, it won't work. Norrtd, what type of exposure unit are you using, how long is your exposing time right now, how are you coating, are you making sure that you have your humidity in your screen room below 40%, THE HUMIDITY PLAYS A BIG ROLL WITH THIS EMULSION. Above 50% and you might not have that emulsion dry enough for proper cross link. Are you giving the screens 24 hours to dry? If you miss any of this stuff, you will have issues. If not, you should be on point. We never have issues with HXT and discharge printing. Also, how are you taping your screens? are you allowing a "shingling" of your tape so that your squeegee chops down up top of your image on the tape, rather than on the emulsion? That will keep that area from prematurely breaking down. Are you "shingling" your tape on the sides, so that the outside edges of your squeegee ride on the tape rather than the emulsion? This helps too. This emulsion might not be the right one for you.

Some guys swear by murikami hvp, for us, it was theeeee worst emulsion we tried in our system. Others love CP tex, didn't work for us either.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:49:39 PM by screenprintguy »
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Admiral

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Murakami HVP with 8gs of diazo, harden with MS Hardener.
Dry and expose completely, post expose, dry well, Apply MS hardener throw in sun for an hour.
Impervious to wb and discharge.

Or SP-1400 exposed for the proper duration, MS hardener, air dry.  No post expose needed.  Can last thousands of prints easily.  Pure diazo emulsions don't really benefit from post exposure, they need the proper exposure the first time around.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
A question to noortd, that I have asked many times to many posters "how did you determine your exposure time"?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
Ive stated this a million times,  you haaaaaaaaaaave to give this emulsion a long exposure, Not just the the ole, no slim good to go.

Well said, again.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »

Some guys swear by murikami hvp, for us, it was theeeee worst emulsion we tried in our system. Others love CP tex, didn't work for us either.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear your experience with Aquasol HVP Screen Print Guy.  I'm here anytime you have issues with our emulsions.  You mention a 2:2 coat, way to much for HVP.  1:1 coating with dull edge will give you 10-12% EOM, as well as 55 23x31 screens vs. 45 -50 that you would get with 1:2 or 2:2 coating.  The other major difference is the tonal values you can hold.  HVP is capable of imaging down to 4% with a print shoulder that is the sharpest I have ever seen under a microscope.  Calling it theeeee worst however tells me it didn't work for you , but I've printed Non-stop for weeks on one design with discharge for Disney on one set of screens back in the days of The Little Mermaid.  Nothing else comes close for me in production, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'll send you a sample again and dial it in over the phone. 

To answer Frog while I am it here is a step test procedure to try:
http://murakamiscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Step-Test-Instructions.pdf

Al
Murakami Screen.
Alan Buffington
www.murakamiscreen.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Al
Murakami Screen.

Thanks for the Step Test Instructions.
I'm specifically curious as to noortd's method of determination of the exposure time which apparently failed.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »
HV was my go to for years. Never had a failure on super long discharge runs.

That said, dual cures are easier for us to deal with in terms of developing fine details.
We tested the SP-1400 this week, and while I like the emulsion, and it's price, I found that
while it will hold super fine dots, they are harder to develop than with a dual cure.

CCI WR14 is the winner so far.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »

Sorry to hear your experience with Aquasol HVP Screen Print Guy.  I'm here anytime you have issues with our emulsions.  You mention a 2:2 coat, way to much for HVP.  1:1 coating with dull edge will give you 10-12% EOM, as well as 55 23x31 screens vs. 45 -50 that you would get with 1:2 or 2:2 coating.  The other major difference is the tonal values you can hold.  HVP is capable of imaging down to 4% with a print shoulder that is the sharpest I have ever seen under a microscope.  Calling it theeeee worst however tells me it didn't work for you , but I've printed Non-stop for weeks on one design with discharge for Disney on one set of screens back in the days of The Little Mermaid.  Nothing else comes close for me in production, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'll send you a sample again and dial it in over the phone. 

Al
Murakami Screen.
[/quote]

Al, I truly appreciate your reply! We went through 3 gallons of HVP with diazo, trying many different coating techniques, exposure settings, obviously, 3 gallons is a ton of screens. It just didn't work for us. The other issue was that it didn't mix well with the use of our I-Image DTS. Actually isn't the only emulsion that the inkjet had issues with. We tested close to a dozen different emulsions to narrow down the flawless imaging, then from there, "for water based printing", we found that not only did the HXT image flawless, we did not need to use diazo or hardener, and in a year and 4 months of use, have only had 3 failed screens. Later on, I have been told that our exposure system isn't strong enough for HVP. That being said, you know how it goes, you keep trying a product until it works. I don't mean for the comment, theee worst to be rude, it's just plain and honest from our testing, it broke down every time. Another water based printers within an hour drive from me switched emulsions as they were the big push for us to try the hvp. I'm sure it's a great product and that some, maybe many have had success with it. It just didn't work for us following every step we were instructed from multiple users, not to mention dealers. Basically, if you were offended by my comment, I do apologize. I just know what it's like to go through buying a new product based on someone's testimony and it doesn't live up to expectations. Like anything in our industry, there are so many variables, one point out of line and we are back at square one. At any rate, thanks again for jumping on the topic, and just know, when we were trying to get hvp to work for us, we tried everything that could have been tried with the tools we had available to us.

Mike

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
Thanks Mike for the reply.  From a tech support standpoint I would agree on the light.  How old is the bulb?  We expose on a 6k tri-light and like Douthitt and Olec lamps as well, so that does help a lot.  I have other emulsions that may be of interest to your process, PM me if you would like to test.  I can't write up the specifics yet until we release it to the public, but we are in test phase and I'd like your evaluation if you would like to test, especially the imaging properties.

Al
abuffington@murakamiscreen.com
Alan Buffington
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
Sounds good Al! I will email you.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

Offline noortrd

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »
on 3k unit we exposure in 3 minute .Sorry not idea of LU.

Offline noortrd

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
I asked many times bcs we have 30 bucket in stock.