Author Topic: Do you read the trade magazines?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Do you read the trade magazines?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
I skip thru the pages myself sometimes, use to read Thomas Trimmingham articles, still some pretty good stuff in there.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
In all the years we have got them we never had to pay for them, that's just crazy. Suppose it's kinda like the $50 or whatever admission price to get into one of the trade shows :D

We also get the mag "Screen Printing" but that is totally useless, NOTHING to do with garment screen printing.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
I go through the e-version. I like to find out if there are anything new out there.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:25:54 PM »
I skim through them as well but look for every month. I have to point out that when you are young or new to this, you have the opportunity to increase your potential. if you suck up as much as you can of these mags/articles they are a gold mine. Originally, when I started out in this industry, knowledge was scares and I can tell you it's still the case today. It's out there in the mags and on forums, but not everyone in this industry takes advantage of it. I still see it today. Even those in charge may not be (as savvy) as one might think. Mags give you a better understanding of what you're not doing or never heard of.

Back when I started reading them, I picked up on things that our people who had been in this business for 5,10 and 15 years had never considered or thought was for other shops. This is what helped me get where I am. I'm proud of what I know today even if I'm not making the big bucks but just an employee making a good living. I'm able to assure myself that i'll always have a job due to the skills I've picked up on just by reading the mags. I know more than some people who have been production managers and printers and screen room managers yet I've never held some of these positions. For employees, it's a way up if you have the drive to learn and soak this stuff up. I'm not saying I'm a guru or an expert, but knowledgeable enough in many areas to know how to help someone who might make 300-3000.00 profit on a job with that added knowledge. So, I can see where $48 or 50.00 can be well worth the money to anyone picking up on something that might save them some cash.

Just today, I was told of a story where someone was promoted simply because he was the only one that knew how to get them out of a jam even tho he was young and knew while working under the one that got them in the jam. This was a $28000.00 jam. He was making slightly more than minimum wage at the time and quickly moved up.  HE DID THIS BY READING THE TRADE MAGS. Reading is fundamental. ;)

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
Dido to that

Murphy37

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
Stopped reading them about a year ago. Simply lost interest in the same recycled self promotions over and over.

"No man is an island"

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
Yep but my impressions stopped coming need to reup

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 10:04:45 AM »
Stopped reading them about a year ago. Simply lost interest in the same recycled self promotions over and over.
Same. Started with the Lon and Don show. I realize its important for new people but I often find mis statements and tendencies to lead people down curious paths. To be fair, perhaps I had done so in the past.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
Same. Started with the Lon and Don show. I realize its important for new people but I often find mis statements and tendencies to lead people down curious paths. To be fair, perhaps I had done so in the past.

I count that Tony.

I refer more towards articles such as "How To successfully heat press" And naturally the author of the article is some one from Stahls and everything in the article points towards Stahls equipment. Not saying there is anything wrong with that approach but it would be nice to read articles from real every day users and shops versus the manufacturers. Tony you fall in to that category which is great but there is very few of you still contributing to the trade mags.

The Lon and Don articles were interesting but I got tired of a long detailed article on the process they used to print a job and never showing the actual print. Occasionally they did have a print example but more times not.
"No man is an island"

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
I just read Tony's articles :D
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
For the newer folks, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! Be voracious, you'd be surprised as to what can inspire you to do better work, or think differently. When I started, the internet was science fiction, so the trades were all we had. I read Screenprinting, and learned to adjust/apply knowledge from other types of screenprinting. When we opened our doors in '90 (nights only at first) we printed everything we could get ink on and get paid for. Impressions or Printwear would have told us nothing about bumper stickers, buying a UV dryer, blah, blah, blah.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
I just read Tony's articles :D

This.

But I do like hearing from Lon & Don from time to time just wish they put some others out there too. As a lot of us here I am a  bit of a nerd when it comes to printing. So all info is good but knowing what to do with it is key. ( especially if it points you in the wrong direction)

Murphy37

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
Lotsa' good stuff for me in the old days, especially in the graphics department. I found myself tearing out and keeping articles that I would eventually use when I finally updated my software, and got on board with Photoshop (5 or 6)!, lol! Still have many things from ten years ago in a binder.

Gotta admit though, that I was a little shocked when I was asked to do an article, merely on the grounds of a correction I had made, pointing out an error in another article about whether to peel hot or cold with some laser copier transfer material.

I don't even remember which mag, but the guy who asked me, didn't know me or my knowledge level.
I know that we here at TSB are pretty hungry for content, and apparently that's really the case with the trade mags.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline phillipwardlaw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
Are there any magazines out for someone just begining?Thinking of starting a t shirt brand?

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 05:11:07 AM »
I'd love to read trade mags on screen printing. Over here in NZ I've never come across them. Screen supply companies here are mainly focusing on digital and sign. I'd be happy to pay for them. Any chance in a international subscription? Or online versions.
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!