Author Topic: How can I make the Epson 7890 printer darker?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Kevbeck

• Verified/Junior
How can I make the Epson 7890 printer darker?
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »
Hi guys.

After taking your advice about film storage.

My next mission is printing film positives.

We print via a 1400 epson, which is fine but its on its last legs.

We print them also on a 7890, 9 colour machine. It doesn't print as dark as the 1400, so we have to double up the films.

But as we are trying to produce better designs, any film with half tones its not ideal doing it this way.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get a darker print using this printer?

Thanks kev

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How can I make the Epson 7890 printer darker?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
Buy FilmMaker (has free trial) or use GhostScript. You need a RIP of some sort
to get really dense films.

Offline Matsui (PVC Free Inks)

• Verified/Junior
  • "Leaders in PVC Free Inks"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
Hi guys.

After taking your advice about film storage.

My next mission is printing film positives.

We print via a 1400 epson, which is fine but its on its last legs.

We print them also on a 7890, 9 colour machine. It doesn't print as dark as the 1400, so we have to double up the films.

But as we are trying to produce better designs, any film with half tones its not ideal doing it this way.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get a darker print using this printer?

Thanks kev

Kev,

If you are using original Epson inks then it will be necessary to print at a higher resolution, but it is still very important to have a Rip software to have more density controls available to you.

The best solution is to flush your current ink system and replace with dye black inks.  This can be easily done by purchasing refillable ink cartridges and a Rip software like FilmMaker from www.filmoutputsolutions.com.  They can help you with the conversion and help you make your printer a true film output solution.
Jesse Martinez
Matsui International Company, Inc.
www.matsui-color.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:08 PM »
That is pretty accurate info from Jesse Martinez.   I'd also mention that just going to a higher rez may improve density, but there are a few other options as well. Doing this should improve the density no matter the rip used (I would imagine) but I hear that FM does have some features or the ability to produce darker output.
[/size]
[/size]You can also use multi direction HIGH or low pass versus  UNI LOW. One gives better dot quality at the cost of ink coverage and speed.

D
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Matsui (PVC Free Inks)

• Verified/Junior
  • "Leaders in PVC Free Inks"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »
That is pretty accurate info from Jesse Martinez.   I'd also mention that just going to a higher rez may improve density, but there are a few other options as well. Doing this should improve the density no matter the rip used (I would imagine) but I hear that FM does have some features or the ability to produce darker output.
[/size]
[/size]You can also use multi direction HIGH or low pass versus  UNI LOW. One gives better dot quality at the cost of ink coverage and speed.

D

Thank you!  Great to see you are on this forum as well.  Looking forward to help as much as my travels allows me and also learn more.  :)
Jesse Martinez
Matsui International Company, Inc.
www.matsui-color.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
Other option if you want to keep your color capability, switch to Epson's matte black instead of photo black. Much MUCH denser films are possible on decent waterproof film.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Kevbeck

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys.... Here's the problem we have

We print va Shiraz rip, tbh I don't know if that's suitable, we originally bought the printer to print canvases. That side has dropped off a little hense wanting to use it for something else( we have a Mimaki) we can use anyway.

I tried to swop over to aftermarket carts and inks as a full set of inks is £1000. The printer will except the left bank of aftermarket carts, but totally rejects the right hand side, we've stopped the chips over a dozen times, but nothing works, so at the moment it runs aftermarket left hand side and original right hand side, so I can't really swop over to all black ink as suggested. The ink and arts are from a top supplier, he's been very patient with me over this but is totally stumped.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
The rip you are using has a different purpose than screen printing film output RIP. Try printing without it for starters and see how dark are your films then. In the end, you'll probably need accurip or filmmaker. Both are available as free trial.
On the subject of cartridges, all you need is one. In a similar setup, we use one AccuInk black and rest are filled with clear flushing solution.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I have been using Accurip for a few years with a 4880.      I use a all black system with bulk UV blocking ink and bulk casettes.
Not only does it give great results, a really dark black but I save a ton of money by keeping away from Epson cassettes.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
If it is a decent RIP, even though it's not made for screen printing, there should be a way to increase the density of ink. Usually, it's something where you can choose the total volume percentage and the individual density. You should also be able to change the way that it prints black as well so that it will only use the specified black instead of a rich black.

I just glanced at it, but this is basically what I mean, http://www.imaging-expert.co.uk/New/KB-05-Shiraz-Rip-ColorModule.html