Author Topic: Blank, un-tagged, un-labeled, not tearaway, just blank blank blank shirt blanks?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Ok, I am pretty sure that we already know the answer, but I know many of you guys run shops, or have worked at shops that do a lot of clothing line printing and have encountered this, and possibly found the answer. One of our clients is growing and wanting us to buy their shirt blanks, "completely blank". Hanes just told us that is impossible due to Federal regulations not allow a shirt manufacturer to sell and ship shirt blanks without it's pertinent information tagged or printed on each individual shirt.  Has anyone found a blank supplier or manufacturer that will actually sell you blanks with zero tags printed or stitched in them? We currently cut the original tag out after printing the info in the shirts and will keep doing that, but this customer wants to push the envelope as to not having to have us cut the original tags out by having no tag to start with. I appreciate anyone's input!!

Thanks guys!

Mike
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
You may be able to find someone more local that will do that but I would think that would pretty hard. Regulations what they are my guess at the bare minimum you would at least need a RN number on them somewhere.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
somewhere they need to tell country of manufacture and fabric content, I believe.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What are they replacing the tag with?.....

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Why not just use a tear tag shirt? You can tear 12 tags while stacking pretty quickly.  Like others have said, unless they are doing the cut/sew themselves and adding the tag, you aren't going to find a shirt without a tag.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We tear/cut the tags out currently and print a custom tag. The question is basically to put a disagreement with our customer to rest on whether or not any of the big brands "actually" sell shops tee's with no tag, printed or sewn in. Like I stated someone from Delta, trying to sell to my customer direct, told him that they would sell him shirt blanks boxed by size, no tags sewn or printed on the shirts for custom tag printing without having to remove like we do now, but when we talk with Delta they say they don't do that. I just wanted to see if anyone has ever gotten no label blanks. Think the dude is also getting cheap on us getting tons of bait and switch shops trying to underbid the work we've been doing for the last few years, this is one way. Sorry, I can't see having to cut out tags on shirts for, "FREE", you have to factor in some sort of cost when we are already doing a wholesale deal on the print and purchasing. I guess it would be nice if Gildan, AA, Delta, Hanes ect offered that, maybe they do in enormous quantity, but all of the distributors we deal with said impossible. Just curious if anyone has ever been able to get blanks like that.

Offline Nick Bane

having printed thousands of tags and shirts getting tagged later, ive never seen or found a shirt available with no tag at all.  major clothing companies and all brands and types of shirts from heavy to near throw away quality and they all have a tag of some sort or an already printed size and care info "tag".

I dont think you will find one without any kind of tag like you are asking.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I talked to three smaller blank manufacturers that will deliver with or without tag at the Long Beach show. Some even charge extra to have a tag put in!

The info is buried somewhere and it would take a bit to find it, but if you really need it I can look next week (after the AC show).

Hanes is right that there are certain requirements as far as labeling, but as long as the info is there in the end, you should be OK (just my thoughts). Size, RN, material and care most likely have to go on.

You cna apply for your own RN number so the shirts can't be traced back to the original manufacturer.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
<Posted by: Nick Bane
« on: Today at 07:16:07 PM » Insert Quote
having printed thousands of tags and shirts getting tagged later, ive never seen or found a shirt available with no tag at all.  major clothing companies and all brands and types of shirts from heavy to near throw away quality and they all have a tag of some sort or an already printed size and care info "tag".

I dont think you will find one without any kind of tag like you are asking.>

Thanks Nick! You know how it is, you never want to argue with a customer, but if you do, you want to make sure you are basing it on confirmed information. I appreciate your reply!!

<I talked to three smaller blank manufacturers that will deliver with or without tag at the Long Beach show. Some even charge extra to have a tag put in!

The info is buried somewhere and it would take a bit to find it, but if you really need it I can look next week (after the AC show).

Hanes is right that there are certain requirements as far as labeling, but as long as the info is there in the end, you should be OK (just my thoughts). Size, RN, material and care most likely have to go on.

You cna apply for your own RN number so the shirts can't be traced back to the original manufacturer.

pierre>

Thanks Pierre! We have a meeting tomorrow, will discuss all of this, especially now that everything has been specifically printed on Gildan and Hanes, I want to make sure that they would even think of entertaining the thought of another brand before asking you to take any of your time to search. If you happen to bump into the info, please pass it on, but I'll pm you if it looks like a serious inquiry. Thanks so much for the info!!

Mike

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
you should figure out these will be more expensive than Gildans or Hanes. These guys make somewhat smaller batches and usually are much higher quality. I would say at least a buck if not two (or more) than what you are paying now.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Nick Bane

no problem, i do know how it is haha, and yeah all you can do is tell them what youve found.  and i wasnt trying to say they dont exist, just that in all the tags ive printed and cut, it would make things muuch easier if they were more common, but all ive done, ive never seen any available without tags.  and has been pointed out, the added cost would more than likely make them more expensive than tear away tags, or even ripping stitches and resewing the seam.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Underbase37

We get some from AA that have them sewn in at the bottom side, but we ask for them that way to safe guard ourselves. I do think they have a minimum on that & we custom dye this stuff. We do work with a few brands that actually prefer we print our own.

Murphy37

Offline Get Shirts

We too have had AA sew the tag in the side instead if the neck, and it was a tear away. 

I'm not sure if I would want boxes of shirts showing up with no tags at all.  Regardless of how on point my staff is, what happens if a stack of shirts gets unboxed and then prematurely shuffled around the shop.. How would you know what size you're working with?  Of course you would figure it out, but at what point?

I think the time it takes to remove a tear away label is worth the peace of mind.

Offline Underbase37

Yep, it is protocol to check at least one shirt in each stack of a dozen when laying out the job to make sure to keep this to a minimum. ( if at all :) )
Happened once before we started protocol

Murphy37

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We too have had AA sew the tag in the side instead if the neck, and it was a tear away. 

I'm not sure if I would want boxes of shirts showing up with no tags at all.  Regardless of how on point my staff is, what happens if a stack of shirts gets unboxed and then prematurely shuffled around the shop.. How would you know what size you're working with?  Of course you would figure it out, but at what point?

I think the time it takes to remove a tear away label is worth the peace of mind.

I know someone who did that.  He said he let his customer come in with some of their friends to remove their tags, problem was, the friends that helped them out were just piling hoodie on top of hoodie all botched up. Good thing he let the customer do it and not his own staff, then those jokers had to go back through and lay out and figure what was what. I'da had a stroke.

Thanks for the input. I think we are going to see about steering them toward AA. Now when you say, AA, you do you mean, Allstyle Apparel, or American Apparel?

Thanks

Mike