Author Topic: Hey Epson... are you listening?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Hey Epson... are you listening?
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
Here's the thing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd thought of it - what if we all petitioned Epson to make a screen printing specific film output machine?

They are the industry standard film printer (sorry bubblejet users, it's just a fact) but every one of the inkjet machines in use for film was made for color photos. EVERY shop that uses one is essentially hacking the things to do what they need them to do, and often with third party software and accessories. Think of the money that Epson is leaving on the table here. If you added up the added costs of all-black systems and third party RIPs, that is money that I'm sure most printers wouldn't mind spending in one purchase for one dedicated, integrated system that is purpose-built and works well. Make a machine with an integrated hardware RIP and you've hit it out of the park.

So Epson... what's up?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Hey Epson... are you listening?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
Major agree and LIKE!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »
Of course... how about just an affordable dts...  it really can't be that hard to make one.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
Dito- must be not being able to sell a million units.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »
Of course... how about just an affordable dts...  it really can't be that hard to make one.

While that makes sense, and there are some that are even epson based, I would imagine rejiggiing the ink system on a printer would be easier for an oem than putting a flatbed type arrangement in place of a paper/film feed. They did recently come out with a large format dye sub printer, so maybe there's some hope.

I like my printer and I originally got it because I dearly wanted a 44" photo printer since I was doing a lot of inkjet ready design, but I have only run a few full color prints through it in the last year or so. I would be curious to see a grand format DTS.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:59:43 PM »

Or a dedicated black-only film output unit, with heads that are optimized for it, that can have an optional DTS system that you can add on later.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »
Could you hack together a DIY DTS the way you can hack together a DIY DTG?  I've seen some of those that actually work alright and cost barely anything to make:
diyts $150 T-shirt Printer www.diydtg.com

Not something I've had the time to do myself, but its seems like a pretty straightforward project.  I would think a company that actually makes printers could cobble together a nicer looking and no hassle working version for under $1000 with a niche market...

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »
Could you hack together a DIY DTS the way you can hack together a DIY DTG?  I've seen some of those that actually work alright and cost barely anything to make

I was SOOOOOOOO thinking about that a few months ago. There was some sales rep that came in that was pushing a yellow(can't remember the name) CTS and the design if that particular one did not do a good job of disguising the Epson based printer. I flat out asked the guy what model Epson that was they were using and he actually told me! I want to say it was a 7800 or something.

But until I can master the "8 day week" I don't have the time to Mrs around with trying.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
yea it is a project that I have been following on tshirtforums for probably 3 years off and on.  They have a whole subforum devoted to it, and some of them seem to work fine, even printing white underbases, but there are lots of potential headaches.  Just building and testing, even based on the plans provided by people who have running machines, takes quite a bit of time.

I would think for DTS there would actually be fewer variables though as it would just be a black printer.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
I built one of the first models they had plans for, that must of been like 4 or 5 years ago. That is one of the reasons I thought it would be "doable"....
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:27:59 AM »
That's crossed my mind as well.  I'm wondering if the same ink that we use to print films would adhere to the emulsions we use.  Also I'm sure that adjusting the height of the printhead in relationship to the screen would be quite a task but doable.  I wish I had the time and a spare printer laying around to try it.  A printer I didn't care about in case I screwed it up.
It's not a job if you love doing it.