Author Topic: Discharge White [EPIC FAILURE]  (Read 6744 times)

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Discharge White [EPIC FAILURE]
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
The activator does work with the others, but when you run out, make sure and use CCI's activator. There is a difference, some folks say they are all the same, but they really aren't. Not only does it not stink as bad there is a noticeable difference in your outcome, the proof is in the pudding we did alot of testing and actually scrapped what we had left of the Matsui activator and just moved over to the one by cci.

ZFS is ZFS regardless of where you buy it or who manufactures it.

What IS different is the grind size/particle size.

The smaller the particle size, the more readily it is dispersed/absorbed by the ink.

CCI distributes a smaller grind/particle size.  It is what I use here and it is highly preferred.

You can also mix your ZFS into warm/hot water to "pre-disperse" it.  This mixes into the waterbase ink even better.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »
I usually do the warm water bit as it does make a difference, especially toward the bottom of the pail.  Good to hear the grind is finer with CCI.  I'm definitely excited for my sample to arrive.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
just brought home a quart of new ink.  No issues at all.  Something definitely happened to my ink.  At least I know I'm not crazy though...

In, and of itself, discovering some defective ink is not an accurate measure of one's mental health. Look what business you picked, and where you hang out, for instance.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:35:15 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
just brought home a quart of new ink.  No issues at all.  Something definitely happened to my ink.  At least I know I'm not crazy though...

In, and of itself, discovering some defective ink is not an accurate measure of one's mental health. Look what business you picked, and where you hang out, and for instance.

My wife would agree with you. :D

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »
I assume you are adding the water and printgen first, then after thoroughly mixing, adding the zfs last? Sometimes you will end up with an unusable mess if you toss in everything at once.

Other possibilities is your ink froze/thawed one night. That would roach a whole bucket pretty quick. How's the shop temps after hours?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:11:44 PM »
Also, it may have froze/thawed in a UPS truck somewhere on the way there...
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »
shop is insulated, but has no central air of any kind and we have had some freezes recently, BUT those were all before the last successful run I did with that bucket of ink.  I'm almost thinking I messed up putting the lid on properly, or maybe the temp fluctuations back and forth finally got it as this last week has finally warmed up to normal 50+ degree nights.  Either way the new bucket is working fine so whatever...

I can't wait to test the CCI and the Magna, even if I end up sticking with Matsui.

Offline Matsui (PVC Free Inks)

• Verified/Junior
  • "Leaders in PVC Free Inks"
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
As of today Matsui is now a part of these boards and we will do everything possible to help while answering technical questions as best we can.

For this thread I would like to request the lot number of the product in question.  The cottage cheese effect is common when the product exceeded it life.
Jesse Martinez
Matsui International Company, Inc.
www.matsui-color.com

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »
You will see a huge huge difference, even with color matching with the base. The CCI Dbase, or even Magna's base are our favorites. Both can also print, un activated as a just plane water based color. The only thing with the CCI coloring, even though their software can help you achieve and almost exact pms right out of the box, you will go through more of it than you did with the matsui pigments. The magna pigments are alot like Matsui in that they are higher in concentration so you go through less pigment to make a color, but the pricing of the CCI is very very good, and unless you are mixing gallons it's really not that bad, it's amazing how many images you can print with the CCI Dbase, so we have learned to mix more accurate amounts per job an minimize waste. CCI dialed it in very good. The only thing I wasn't too happy with Magna is that the pms software is all calibrated to Uncoated, not that huge of a deal, but you just have to go through and make sure the match will be close to coated pms swatches. I still use the matsui printgen and fixerN out of habbit and never have wash out issues, so we stick with that combo.

Have you ever tried our DSFP product?  It is by far the best in the market and known to print through very high mesh counts, which is very important in the fashion industry.  If not, we would be happy to send you a sample for you to evaluate and review.  PM me your address and will get you a sample of both the DSFP clear base and white.  We also have a mixing software online at www.matsui-color.com which has been recently updated to use fewer components and works very well when using different Matsui bases.
Jesse Martinez
www.matsui-color.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
I spoke to my supplier about lot numbers, but unfortunately I had put the ink into a new bucket and discarded the original when I purchased it.  In the future I will document the lot number when I transfer containers.  The 5 gallon buckets y'all use are horrendous when it comes to being able to re-seal the lids, so I always put them in a new bucket with a better lid.  The plastic around the lip cracks and bends easily and getting a good seal after initially opening them has been a problem on every one I have purchased so far.  I purchased both this 5 gallon of white and a 5 gallon of brite base at the same time, and the brite base is still working perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, I love your product and I am invested pretty heavily when it comes to the pigments and additives, but I am currently testing other whites.  I have been wanting to test other whites for a while and this experience basically just pushed me to finally do it.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
Have you ever tried our DSFP product?  It is by far the best in the market and known to print through very high mesh counts, which is very important in the fashion industry.  If not, we would be happy to send you a sample for you to evaluate and review.  PM me your address and will get you a sample of both the DSFP clear base and white.  We also have a mixing software online at www.matsui-color.com which has been recently updated to use fewer components and works very well when using different Matsui bases.

I was not impressed with the DSFP white when testing.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »
Thanks for signing up Matsui (is that your first or last name?)

I don't use many of your products but I do love your metallic. That stuff is the bee's knees.

Offline noortrd

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
Matsui discharge is not best.  Only cci, rutland and magna ok.  Matsui introduce new thiourea based discharge but still not good.

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Thanks for signing up Matsui (is that your first or last name?)

I don't use many of your products but I do love your metallic. That stuff is the bee's knees.

Ebscreen,

Thank you for the compliment and hope that one day you reach out to us to learn more about our other solutions.

Matsui is a family last name and the Presidents full name is Masa Matsui.  My name is Jesse Martinez.  :)

Best,
Jesse Martinez
www.matsui-color.com

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
I spoke to my supplier about lot numbers, but unfortunately I had put the ink into a new bucket and discarded the original when I purchased it.  In the future I will document the lot number when I transfer containers.  The 5 gallon buckets y'all use are horrendous when it comes to being able to re-seal the lids, so I always put them in a new bucket with a better lid.  The plastic around the lip cracks and bends easily and getting a good seal after initially opening them has been a problem on every one I have purchased so far.  I purchased both this 5 gallon of white and a 5 gallon of brite base at the same time, and the brite base is still working perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, I love your product and I am invested pretty heavily when it comes to the pigments and additives, but I am currently testing other whites.  I have been wanting to test other whites for a while and this experience basically just pushed me to finally do it.

The Bright White Discharge has a heavy load of white pigment to get the brightness which can also cause the cottage cheese look which you can try mixing very well to see if it goes back to its original body shape.  As for performance, we have customers who mix 75% Bright White Discharge with 25% Bright Base Discharge.  Have you tried this option? 

Also, I will pass on the information about the buckets and see if we can find a better solution.  We really appreciate your feedback on this matter.
Jesse Martinez
www.matsui-color.com