Author Topic: Where to put ink..?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Where to put ink..?
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:30 AM »
Not sure if correct topic placement but oh well..lol

So we are moving to another location.  Question about storage of inks:

At our current location we have the inks in our dark/screen room. Its a small pantry. We keep a heater on in there during the winter. For help drying the screens and what not. So we keep our inks in there because there is shelving and it make its easier to pull the inks out in the morning and we can print right away instead of waiting for them to warm up from being stiff and cold.

So for the new space at first i was thinking of putting them out on the shop floor. Just makes it easier. But then i got to thinking, well now that i will have to pay for heat (lol) that i may keep it pretty cool at night, and being the inks out on the shop floor they will be stiff and cold.

Since I have to make some sort of dark room anyway should we incorporate ink storage in there? Or will it be fine out on the shop floor in the winter?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Where to put ink..?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
rob, draw up a floor plan / layout of your new place so we can see what it looks like. Landlord should have a blueprint for you with dimensions too...We had to build an ink room to keep them warm like you're saying and it keeps the inks cleaner without all the air contaminants in them.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:42 AM »
I recently moved and have all my inks on wire shelving near the dark room area. This helps me isolate all of the messy stuff to one place. I'm on an open floor plan so the heat is the same no matter where I am. Ink for the job we are going to print is placed on a cart and wheeled near the press.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »
I have all my ink systems on rolling carts, so nice. Though, if I only used one system, it would probably be less of a benefit. The nice thing about a cart for your situation though is that you could roll it into the darkroom at the end of the day and pull it out in the morning.