Author Topic: Shurloc EZ 125's taking on water  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Shurloc EZ 125's taking on water
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »
So we're trying a dozen EZ frames as a "starter" kit. I like them, ALOT.

However, it seems as if a few have gotten water-logged in the dip tank. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to call Shurloc next week and sort it our but I wanted to find out if this is a common issue or if we have a few duds.

By water-logged, I mean I can hear a bit of dip tank mixture sloshing inside the frame. It won't ever seem to come out when I leave the screen to dry vertically, propped on one corner against a wall, even for several days.

It DOES seem to leach out into the mesh a little once the frame is in the rack and seemingly ready to coat. Then it looks like emulsion cancer - fisheyes, marbling, streaks, weak spots, pinholes, etc. I can see it crop up as I'm coating. Like someone spritzed the freshly reclaimed screen with WD-40 while I wasn't looking.

Thoughts?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: Shurloc EZ 125's taking on water
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
So nobody has this issue?

???
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
I have 30 of the 125's and 40 of the 150's and haven't had that problem with any of them.  I had some conversion frames that did but that was I'm sure my fault.  Sounds like you may have a few duds.  I've had great support with them so I'm sure they will investigate that issue.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »
I have 30 of the 125's and 40 of the 150's and haven't had that problem with any of them.  I had some conversion frames that did but that was I'm sure my fault.  Sounds like you may have a few duds.  I've had great support with them so I'm sure they will investigate that issue.

Thanks. Yeah I'm hoping its a fluke thing. Are you dunking the frames, either in reclaim or development?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »
I'm just dunking them for reclaim.  I'm trying to find a large enough tub for the development end though.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
I'm just dunking them for reclaim.  I'm trying to find a large enough tub for the development end though.

We use two 37 gal Easiway tanks. One for clear water developing, one with Easistrip Supra. Great system.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
I'm going to stop at a container store the next time I go to Little Rock.  I know having a tank to dip the screens before developing would ensure that the emulsion would wash out of my image much easier.  The only thing that won't be so great about is that right now I can develop without spraying out my registration marks but I'm sure after letting them soak first that that won't be possible. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 12:23:55 AM »
I'm going to stop at a container store the next time I go to Little Rock.  I know having a tank to dip the screens before developing would ensure that the emulsion would wash out of my image much easier.  The only thing that won't be so great about is that right now I can develop without spraying out my registration marks but I'm sure after letting them soak first that that won't be possible.

LOL, yeah it will be completely impossible. The biggest benefit is time, and secondary is you use WAY less water in developing. (this is how I finally convince my boss for the second tank, as we are headed for a serious drought and jacked up water pricing soon)

With the right emulsion just a light rinse is all that's needed, and with most emulsions not much more than that. After a soak of a few minutes the emulsion just falls out.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
Definitely get back to me on the screen leak Evo... I don't think I have had a single report of any leakage so far, so you are the lucky first! Quick, go get that MegaMillions ticket! Anyways, shoot me an email or give me a call and we will get you all fixed up. Ron - ron@shurloc.com - (360) 805-4140
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
At least you're lucky enough it's not pulling the fluid back out when you draw a vacuum to expose. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
At least you're lucky enough it's not pulling the fluid back out when you draw a vacuum to expose.
That is actually the worst thing about it.

:-\

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
Definitely get back to me on the screen leak Evo... I don't think I have had a single report of any leakage so far, so you are the lucky first! Quick, go get that MegaMillions ticket! Anyways, shoot me an email or give me a call and we will get you all fixed up. Ron - ron@shurloc.com - (360) 805-4140

Thanks, I'll give you a ring once I pull all the frames out of circulation and total up how many are taking on water. It seems about half of the dozen we've started with.

Other than this, I LOVE THEM.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »
Sounds good... I was asking the production team about them and they said that some of the sealant they use doesn't always mix properly. Normally these are caught way before they go out, but it sounds like you may have a set that got missed. I'll be waiting for your call!

PS - I don't recognize your username, who are ya? :)
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »

PS - I don't recognize your username, who are ya? :)

Jason (Evo) has been with us almost from the beginning (as you have as well)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
Just to follow up, we had a rogue batch of leaky frames. Shurloc is replacing them, and that's that.

No fuss, no muss.