Author Topic: Storage of artwork? (Morphed from film storage to digital file backup.)  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Kevbeck

• Verified/Junior
Hi all.

How do you store your positives?

We started out using filing cabinets, but now we are getting into extra large prints, which don't fit in the cabinets....

We don't have loads of space to spare, suggestions please

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:04:59 PM by Frog »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Storage of artwork?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Jalema

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
Big a$$ed HD with mirror/offsite backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »
I second Mr. Kitson!

sam

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
So, Greg and Sam, like Brad, you guys don't re-use films, thus eliminating the storage issue?

For us old timers still sitting on some actual ortho films from yesteryear, the new inkjet technology is a helluva lot cheaper and easier to consider one use only.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
NO Frog..we have direct to screen...no film anymore...so nice!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »
Please don't do what I do LOL, but I take my film and put them in a big envelope and store them in a large tote box, not the best way in the world but it works for me....

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
NO Frog..we have direct to screen...no film anymore...so nice!

Exactly, something to shoot for, but not really a solution for the problem at hand.
You may remember what happened to Marie Antoinette eventually after her suggested (though probably incorrectly attributed) solution to the peasant's problem of not having bread.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
as a former x ray tech I would go to staples dot com and get x ray folders.  then alphabetic store them

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »

What do you guys do if hit with a virus?  I ask because we where just hit with this "CryptLocker" and lost all of our art files on our HD (posted about it last week).  This is debilitating and will take us some time to bounce back from it.  We where told that even an off site back-up would not have helped us. 

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »

What do you guys do if hit with a virus?  I ask because we where just hit with this "CryptLocker" and lost all of our art files on our HD (posted about it last week).  This is debilitating and will take us some time to bounce back from it.  We where told that even an off site back-up would not have helped us.

I am not geeky enough to ansewer that question but my hope is that is why I pay Trend, Purus and Barracuda.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
Same here as Greg. We found out the hard way a few years ago that we hadn't properly been backed up. That has since changed to the best of my knowledge. (We did test it a while back) So on the flip side. What would you do if you lost all of your film, say in a flood or fire?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
Same here as Greg. We found out the hard way a few years ago that we hadn't properly been backed up. That has since changed to the best of my knowledge. (We did test it a while back) So on the flip side. What would you do if you lost all of your film, say in a flood or fire?

I have always kept files backed up on our Hard Drives (we have/had more than 1).  Well this virus has encrypted every art file rendering them useless. 

The way it works in a nutshell:
- open an email that has an infected attachment.  This email will be familiar to you and possibly one opened recently
- virus comes in to your system and encrypts every file in your system, so when you backup the files they are all encrypted.
   When your mirror HD backs up, you get a mirror (copy) of the encrypted file, same thing happens when you save it off
   site or in a cloud.
- next you will get a screen telling you to send $ to get the encryption coed to unlock your files.  this can range from $300 to
  $10s of thousands.  (we never saw this screen until it was too late) even then I was told its a crapshoot at best.

We have been in business since 1993 I have hundreds if not thousands of files of custom art and seps that I cannot begin to put a price tag on that are now useless.       

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
parker, how recent was this?