Author Topic: M&R Platen Resurfacing  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Admiral

M&R Platen Resurfacing
« on: February 03, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »
So the 14 pallets we received with the CH3 we just bought are in rough shape.  They have had millions of prints on them and look a lot worse than our pallets.  We need to at least resurface them.  The aluminum is a bit banged up even and pretty dirty so it will take awhile to clean up.  A couple of them even are burnt a bit (hopefully not warped).

So I plan on buying the rubber and 3M adhesive from M&R or Action Engineering but is there anything I should be concerned with?  Should I load up each one individually on the same arm on a press and check flatness with a floodbar to make sure all of the pallets are good?

Would it be a better idea to buy 14 new pallets and sell these ones?  I wanted to exchange them for new ones but M&R doesn't play that game. 

I only want to pursue redoing all of them if they will end up working fine and save us some money.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: M&R Platen Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
If it were me I would buy new.  The time and frustration to refurb these obviously well used platens just does not justify itself.  Action Engineering would be my goto guy.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
So the 14 pallets we received with the CH3 we just bought are in rough shape.  They have had millions of prints on them and look a lot worse than our pallets.  We need to at least resurface them.  The aluminum is a bit banged up even and pretty dirty so it will take awhile to clean up.  A couple of them even are burnt a bit (hopefully not warped).

So I plan on buying the rubber and 3M adhesive from M&R or Action Engineering but is there anything I should be concerned with?  Should I load up each one individually on the same arm on a press and check flatness with a floodbar to make sure all of the pallets are good?

Would it be a better idea to buy 14 new pallets and sell these ones?  I wanted to exchange them for new ones but M&R doesn't play that game. 

I only want to pursue redoing all of them if they will end up working fine and save us some money.
You can send them back for resurfacing here if they are origional M&R units. The cost is about $15.00 per pallet over the cost of the rubber. If made by someone else we will not resurface.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
Having both removed and applied new rubber, SPEND THE $15!!!

I would check the metal itself first though, no point in refurbing warped pallets.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
Having both removed and applied new rubber, SPEND THE $15!!!

I would check the metal itself first though, no point in refurbing warped pallets.
If the aluminum is ours we put it through a machine to address any warp before re-laminating.
Rich Hoffman

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Putting new rubber down not that hard, order it getthe glue and a heatgun to help loosen front the board, do all of them , re glue and compress with bricks, Something, etcc let sit over night, done.
I have done a couple of mine no biggie.
Shane

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
Don't forget freight in and out to M&R. If you go the Action way I suggest the "new" self adhering rubber. Pricey but easy and probably cheaper than the M$R method. Remember its $15 rubberplus the cost of rubber   and again the freight. You check for leveling by carefully placing the on the exposure unit glass surface.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
What is the benefit of the rubber top?
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
having just started printing on the rubber topped pallets after using mdf for years, I would never go back...

Prints are definitely smoother for whatever reason, and it seems like my glue is lasting longer and gripping better as well, probably because you can really press the garment into the glue better with each stroke.  I think for some one color jobs you could almost go without glue and there wouldnt be any issues.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
I was told they were definitely the pallets from the CH3 we bought which should be original M&R.  Only way to know for sure is probably look up the S/N and see if it was bought with the pallets.  I don't see why these wouldn't have been M&R.  Close to 5mil prints on them though.

I will check them out tonight to make sure they are all flat then see if shipping them to M&R and having them resurface will be the best route.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
On the bottom of them will part number with M&R Sticker if they are.
Usually. My Gauntlet 2 have them.
Shane

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
What is the benefit of the rubber top?
Print deposit will be better with rubber coated pallets and your flash time will be faster.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »
If the shipping doesn't kill the deal, I would def send those suckers to M&R.  $15 is a screaming deal to have all that done for you. 

It's not hard to do in the shop, you roll the glue on and work quick, kinda stressful and can be a distraction but not too horrible.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:17 AM »
Remember its $15 over the cost of the rubber. My guess is its closer to $40 total plus freight

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 06:51:35 AM »
New rubber is kinda a regular thing if you like high maintained equipment. I am a scrounger and built our pallet sets out of used, and most needed rubber. And Ickes stickee and some emery on the edges. As long as you use right adhesive it is just not hard. We work in a warm area, gut to size, acetone the surface, apply, weight it. Wait a day. Done. Make sure you have a flat surface for adhering and cure time.