Author Topic: Quiet vac/blower suggestions..  (Read 2402 times)

Offline starchild

Quiet vac/blower suggestions..
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
Hey guys, I need some suggestions for a quiet blower for my vastex vac pallet.. I was considering the ms8 from air control industries http://www.aircontrolindustries.com/uk/products-centrifugal/195/multi-stage (but that's like $600) any suggestions for a more affordable pump but runs quietly with sufficient suction for regular transfer paper?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: Quiet vac/blower suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »
AWT makes good ones, but they aren't cheap either. We're putting in a used central vac system  I picked up for $50. It's not quiet but the noise gets moved outside. Just be sure to put in a vacuum dump so you don't over-rev it too much from completely blocking the vacuum line.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
I seem to remember someone once talking about using his small air-brush compressor's intake port.
(Mine doesn't have anything accessible to test)

Next time I put together a vacuum table, I have the vacuum unit from my old Agfa camera.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline starchild

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »
I seem to remember someone once talking about using his small air-brush compressor's intake port.

Next time I put together a vacuum table, I have the vacuum unit from my old Agfa camera.

What amount of cfm would an air brush compressor take in and would that be enough to hold the paper down?

The agfa camera vacuum pump sounds interesting, I googled it but don't know what I should be looking for or at.. More info please Mr frog..

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
You could pick up a squirrel cage blower and hook the inlet to the pallet. It will be quiet and depending on the size should be strong enough to work.

Or pick up one of those dust collectors at Harbor Freight for under $200, throw the bags out and use the blower part

What you are looking for is a regenerative blower. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:03:43 PM by Binkspot »

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
You could pick up a squirrel cage blower and hook the inlet to the pallet. It will be quiet and depending on the size should be strong enough to work.

Or pick up one of those dust collectors at Harbor Freight for under $200, throw the bags out and use the blower part

What you are looking for is a regenerative blower.

Yes.. A regenerative blower.. AWT sells these but I'm totally apprehensive about requesting the price from them.. It's a shame how we look outside of our industry for solutions first.. Where's the trust?

I'll check out the dust collectors as well..

Fein shop vacs are rated at 60-57db

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

What amount of cfm would an air brush compressor take in and would that be enough to hold the paper down?

The agfa camera vacuum pump sounds interesting, I googled it but don't know what I should be looking for or at.. More info please Mr frog..

Well a few years ago, just about everyone was throwing or giving their graphic cameras away.
Mine is still sitting in the back of my closet, and I keep promising the ol' lady that I will haul it out and re-claim some significant space.
Its various hunks of glass, lenses, and small detached vacuum pump will remain my guests though.

As for the compressor, I have no idea on specifics, as this was just something that I read on a forum. When I look at my little compressor, it has no specific accessible inlet port , so I can't even feel the suction.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline starchild

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »
Just posting an update on what I now understand and appreciate about using shop vacs for vacuum pallet duties..

If you spend your money on an industrial grade shop vac you won't have to experience the 80db+ noise pollution. These brand name vacs operate at or below conversation levels (57db-60db at maximum output)

Fein, Alto, Attix and even the Makita VC.. (name drop)

The dust collectors mentioned in a previous post operates at around 75db, so does the regenerative pump with a noise level around 76db. The ms8 centrifugal I was looking at is in the 60s..

Ok so I've decided to go for one of the shop vacs over a pump or dust collector for the secondary reason that it can do multiple things around my studio.. I hope this informs others that are trying to rid themselves of this particular noise pollution..