Author Topic: adding a manual to the auto shop, questions. . .  (Read 5059 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
adding a manual to the auto shop, questions. . .
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
So we are looking at adding a NEW manual press into rotation. Vastex is thinking they can make one that would work with our MHM screens and pre-registration system. We currently use a Rototex and need to upgrade to something better. Using the MHM screens and FPU just seems like the right way to go.

Here's the million dollar question:
-are we better off sticking with a separate set of screens for the manual though? I've heard of many shops standardizing the screens so they can throw stuff on what ever press is available if something goes wrong. Does this apply to the screens for the manual press too? (I am not sure yet on what's it going to take to make this happen and how much is it going to cost, thus the questions).
-I like the side clamps, but are they really necessary when used with pre-reg?
-am I missing something?

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: adding a manual to the auto shop, questions. . .
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »
We liked our Vastex and used it with Auto Frames (23x31's).  The press did probably need bigger shocks to hold them "best" but does work. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline prozyan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »
My Vastex could hold static frames (23x31) just fine, but it struggled with my square bar franken-frames and the cylinders wouldn't lift and hold Shurloc EZ frames (23x31), but those are some heavy suckers.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
I'm interested in both the replies, and what you end up getting for a manual to accompany the MHM.

I'm thinking it would make more sense to use the same screens on both. That way everything falls completely into the same system you are currently using. You don't have to worry about purchasing a bunch of new smaller frames. And it would probably make it easier to utilize the MHM FPU.

What (color/station) configuration are you looking to get Pierre?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
Pierre, I'm not sure if I'm answering your question or not. Our entire set up is designed so ANY job can go on ANY press, auto or manual. I won't discuss brands , but I think if you have the chance to get something that will work with your pre press system as it is now, look hard at that. Today I had to do 5 pieces that we were short on an order yesterday. We ran it on the auto yesterday, but I wasn't going to tie an auto up for five pieces. Same screens from yesterday were used. Slap 'em in the manual and go. And the side clamps...I dig 'em, with air locks of course.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
Vastex is a tank, but as you know, i like my Antec Legend.
The only issue with a Legend, that it might struggle with a heavier screens.

Vastex it might be a better option if you are to use 23x31 or maybe Sure-loc frames

Stop by if you want to see it again or play with it.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
Vastex is a tank, but as you know, i like my Antec Legend.
The only issue with a Legend, that it might struggle with a heavier screens.

Vastex it might be a better option if you are to use 23x31 or maybe Sure-loc frames

Stop by if you want to see it again or play with it.

we have a legend as well, and it most certainly struggles with roller frames that are not square bar'd
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:31:35 PM »
I lean towards having everything standard to fit on all the equipment.  I would be a little careful with the fact that someone is saying they "might" be able to build something but Vastex has their stuff together so hopefully they can fullfill that need.

One thing I like about doing manual screens for the manual and auto screens for the auto is when using an 18x20 on the manual makes a lot of things easier to manage.  I'll explain.  I only did a few jobs on the manual with our 18x20's we used to have and on the rear clamp Vastex with the square bar newmans, it was much easier to register manually.  The smaller frames were easier to handle across the board, lifting and lowering, spinning the carousel, and the job stayed in registration much better than the auto frames on the vastex and better than our side clamp press and auto frames now.  You obviously won't be able to gang images on the smaller screens very often or at all with a rear clamp press/square bar newmans but something can be said for not having to worry about ganging images and just slapping one piece of film on a screen and go.

If using 2 different frame types, you'll have some difficulty in pre-press that I can't really say if it would be worth it or not.  If you have a job that initially was going to go on the manual but something happened and it needed to go on the auto, you could be in a bind.  We would run smaller frames on our auto no problem but your situation is different.  If your rear screen holder on the E type will move to accept a smaller frame then problem solved but if it doesn't, you're reshooting screens or going on the manual.  Using the auto screens on the manual isn't as big of a deal as long as the print head will hold the screen. 

I personally like the side clamps better but I will say the jobs we did on our rear clamp press with square bar frames worked great, especially the smaller frames.  Smaller frames means smaller sweet spot, but it also means less emulsion, less time coating those screens and I'm sure a few other little things that you can think of.  Manual frames are cheaper, and although you may not be able to use them on the auto you wouldn't have to buy that many to get your manual jobs out the door.  If you use the auto frames you might not have to buy any though with your inventory as it is.

So I didn't answer anything and probably made things more confusing.  My bad.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Well our best manual is a Rototex 8 color; it holds our 23 x 31 no problem. I don't know what would be better from what I've seen; ours is a rock. Side clamps are critical to a manual as I see it. Hated the Hopkins we picked up once. I started on a Vastex way back, and have always thought they made good product, but we are really happy with the Rototex. What doesn't it do that you need it to do? By the way, we have separate frame sizes for our manual, but we started with a manual before adding our first auto, a Matex (Italian machine). I also don't see a manual that will use the MHM end cups, so I'm guessing you just need the press to be able to handle the weight...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
Our manual sits in the corner and does nothing. Lately I've been thinking about bringing it back in rotation
though as there have been a few jobs that it would have made sense to print manually.

I am all for standardizing frame size, I despised having multiple sizes. That said, nowadays I will know
long before the job hits press if it is going on the manual or not, so having a dedicated set of manual
frames should not be an issue. We use 25x36 roller frames and I doubt any manual can handle those competently,
so it's not really an option anyway.

You'd be on your own for making the MHM pins/FPU work, though it really shouldn't be that hard. Just an attachment you
put on the press in place of a pallet, install all screens and go. Thinking the pins would drop down into the holders as opposed
to locking in from front and back. Clear as mud? Good.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
I am bringing in a new ten color next week and will be replacing the current manual that is here so I can use the same reg system on both. For reasons like Bim mentions above.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
I use my manual to hold my drink and phone while I run the auto, that's about all its good for, and its new!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
Lol, sounds familiar, they make a great 6-table rotating crap holder.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
Ours is used mostly for a screen cleaning station right now.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
My $0.02:

If you are considering any real "production" on the manual, as in you might have a regular manual printer running the thing every day, then I would get at least a few sets of "manual" sized screens. They are easier to spin on a day to day basis.

If the manual machine will be playing a more supplemental role, like sampling and small runs, then by all means use the same frame size as the autos. No reason to mix things up if you don't need to.

As far as manual presses that handle auto sized frames, you HAVE to go with side clamps. Back clamps are the SUCK.

M&R Chameleon and Sidewinder handle big screens without breaking a sweat. The Chameleon has adjustable lift tension to handle lighter frames or big Newman M3's or whatever you throw at it. It's essentially a Sportsman without automation.

Vastex presses are awesome but I don't know if they have a side clamp option. That makes it a no-go in my book.

Workhorse Mach series with side clamps are nice. They are MUCH better than anything Hopkins has ever offered.

Hix makes a fine machine and side clamps are an option. They spin fast and are very well built.

Rototex machines are pure evil.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)