Author Topic: Clear base?  (Read 889 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Clear base?
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
I found a bucket of clear base in my garage, no idea where it came from, was wondering what you would use it for? Someone once said they use clear base for a underbase on black shirts the keep the underbase from peeking around.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Clear base?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »
that doesn't work.  don't waste your time.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Clear base does occasionally sees use as an underbase to keep the top coat smooth and on top, but is usually used as a "cut".
There are many bases out there from extenders (which do just that) to soft hand which extends and improves hand.

Clear bases can also be the medium in which metallic powders are mixed, and also many pigment based mixing systems use 'em.

Can also sometimes be used by itself for a subtle tone effect.

Where the surprise comes in is when one scoops from an unmarked bucket of puff base! LOL!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
Clear is useless.   Give it to me. I'll take it off your hands for you. :)

Like one of the several things Frog said, It's good for some subtle effects. It gives and indication of (something) on black shirts, brown shirts, (tone on tone) ghosting of sorts if used all by itself.  You can add to that by adding in a % of any pigment...and reverse that on white tees.

Print it straight on white tees, it gives a clear snot sheet to prints..like wet water.

Some people use it to add to thick inks that are generally used for spot color, low mesh...and then use clear base to thin/exntend down those inks for sim process on high mesh for example. Don't use too much. We always used 5-10% in some cases, 15%.  20% starts to break down the integrity of the ink too much. I wouldn't do that to all inks. Not on Rutland or Unions inks that are already designed for sim process on high mesh.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Inkman posted a print on navy a while back where he underbased clear and then used gold on a 305 for an incredibly tiny crest.
It was a pretty nice looking print--especially considering the technical issues.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »
I've used it that way on jobs Process on white) to fill in the shirt (and allow the inks to mix more) yet not have any pigment (as in as apposed to white ink for example) to interfere with the color of the print.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850