Author Topic: So tell us about your rig?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
So tell us about your rig?
« on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:26 AM »
A lot of you are designers.  Tell us about your computer?  Here is my main computer.  This is my workhorse. 

i7 920 Quad Core w/HyperThreading / Asus P6T V2 Motherboard
12gb 1333 DDR3 RAM
120gb Intel SSD (OS/Programs)
300gb WD Velociraptor 10,000 rpm HD (scratch disk)
1tb WD Black 7,200 rpm HD (main data)
2tb WD Green HD (additional data)
1tb Maxtor One Touch (Data Backup)
Nvida EVGA 1gb DDR3 Graphics Card with Dual Dual-Link DVI's.
Cooler Master Case with 5 120mm fans, Nvida Edition / 650w Power Supply
30 inch HP 2560x1600 + 30 inch Samsung 2560x1600

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: So tell us about your rig?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »
2008 13" MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250GB Drive.
20" Apple Cinema Display, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Probably not the most robust rig, but it handled a 672 MB layered Photoshop file for a 30 x 80 show banner at 300 dpi with decent speed. I do a job like that maybe once a year. Most other Photoshop work falls within the 10 - 15 MB range at most.

The RAM is maxed out at this point.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
I have the same setup as tpitman except for the display that I use at home now that I got an Imac. Heres whats inside it Imac.

2.93  4 Core i7 processor
12 MB ram
2 TB hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB Graphics card
27" Apple LED display

This things a beast so far. I have not had any issues with it.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
2008 13" MacBook 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 250GB Drive.
20" Apple Cinema Display, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Probably not the most robust rig, but it handled a 672 MB layered Photoshop file for a 30 x 80 show banner at 300 dpi with decent speed. I do a job like that maybe once a year. Most other Photoshop work falls within the 10 - 15 MB range at most.

The RAM is maxed out at this point.

Good stuff, ya I work with files that large basically every day so I needed a pretty serious computer.  I built it over 2 years ago now. 

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
I have the same setup as tpitman except for the display that I use at home now that I got an Imac. Heres whats inside it Imac.

12 MB ram
2 TB hard drive
27" Apple LED display

Typo right? I had 12MB of ram back in 1990 and it was awesome! I could run Visi-Calc really fast!
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
Oops. You're right, it's 4GB of RAM. That's okay. Before I made the post I had that banner job at 672 GB and caught that mistake. Would've been a hell of a job running that with 4MB of RAM. My original Mac IIsi had a whopping 5 megs of RAM.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:07:59 PM »

12 MB ram
2 TB hard drive
27" Apple LED display

Typo right? I had 12MB of ram back in 1990 and it was awesome! I could run Visi-Calc really fast!

LOL yeah oops. 12 GB.  Too bad I cant implant that into my brain. ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »
Thinkstation S10
dual core Xeon 3.0Ghz
6GB ECC Ram
SATA Raid drives
Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 running dual displays
SB Live
64 bit Win 7

This is a photo/video optimized workstation designed by IBM. The bandwidth on the bus is about double the regular PC's, has more cache on the CPU and the video card has the MSRP of $2k. I've ran 1.5GB files in Illustrator (with 8-10 embedded DCS files) and you can't tell the difference from a smaller file. Everything is instant no matter what you throw at it. The sticker price on it was close to $5K when new, I bought it used for $570 two years later (through my connections from the previous business). 'had it for over a year now. . .

Dot Tone Dan was not impressed when he was here, he said it ran like his Mac workstation he had at Mickey's place (sticker of probably around $6k). I', thinking my 1/8th of that for same performance is a pretty good deal!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ErinAllenLamb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »
I read this as Ring at first and got excited...

Sorry, that is all I have to add! :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
I am building a new one fairly cheap.  It should rock pretty well.  I am not sure what specs it will have, I don't have a huge budget, so we'll see, but it should rock.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 06:53:07 AM »
We run all newer 13 inch macbooks at the shop. 2.4 core 2 duo.
4gig ram, SSD drives for OS and Apps. 7200 RPM drives for data.

We have a linux server running virtual box which hosts a WINXP virtual machine with quickbooks and fastmanager.  Another WinXP virtual machine - that acts as our network rip using accurip. So anyone can print films.

Our client folder is shared via dropbox.com between me and my wifes computer. This way we can both work on art. From either computer without being hooked up to a fileserver. It syncs stuff online and then to our computers almost instantaneously.

Also we have a VPN into the office so if we want we can connect to quickbooks and fastmanager from home. I can also print films from home to the shop so they are ready for Jen when she comes in in the morning to burn screens.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
We run all newer 13 inch macbooks at the shop. 2.4 core 2 duo.
4gig ram, SSD drives for OS and Apps. 7200 RPM drives for data.

We have a linux server running virtual box which hosts a WINXP virtual machine with quickbooks and fastmanager.  Another WinXP virtual machine - that acts as our network rip using accurip. So anyone can print films.

Our client folder is shared via dropbox.com between me and my wifes computer. This way we can both work on art. From either computer without being hooked up to a fileserver. It syncs stuff online and then to our computers almost instantaneously.

Also we have a VPN into the office so if we want we can connect to quickbooks and fastmanager from home. I can also print films from home to the shop so they are ready for Jen when she comes in in the morning to burn screens.

Good stuff, good to see someone a little techy like myself around here. 

We also have remote access to all of our computers as well as our server from home or where ever.  So if we need to work or get a file or whatever we can do that.

At home we have a 27 inch iMac with 8gb of ram.  Just a dual core, since we don't work much at home.  We also have a MacBook Pro, also just a dual core, 4gb of ram. 

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »

We also have remote access to all of our computers as well as our server from home or where ever.  So if we need to work or get a file or whatever we can do that.

At home we have a 27 inch iMac with 8gb of ram.  Just a dual core, since we don't work much at home.  We also have a MacBook Pro, also just a dual core, 4gb of ram.

I love nerding out.. Stoked you got some nice macs!
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »

I love nerding out.. Stoked you got some nice macs!

I enjoy the Macs, personally still cant bring myself to use them in the work environment though, my computers are very stable so not had a real reason to do that yet.  Maybe someday though. 

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
I just picked up a Dell refurb "work laptop", so I can manage artwork a little easier wherever I am.  I carry a portable HD with me and run sync software between machines so at any given point I should have at least 3 versions of all my important files.

Dell XPS L702X with:

Intel Core i7-2630QM processor (2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
640 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Blu-ray Disc Combo (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
17.3in FHD WLED AG (1920x1080)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus

Would have been nice to have an SSD for the OS but the Dell outlet is limited on what they have and you gotta jump quick to catch something!