Author Topic: shop layout suggestions wanted  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
shop layout suggestions wanted
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Hey gang,

I'm moving my shop this month. It's just down the hall. Space is slightly larger and has some better perks to it. I'm probably most excited for the opportunity to completely rearrange/reorganize everything.

It's an open floor, 40' deep, 60' wide, with an open floor plan (no walls). Anyone on an open floor plan with some good suggestions or pics to share?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: shop layout suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
We are completely open with a rectangle shape like yours.  We are 50' and 110-120'ish for the production area and have built out a dark room and engraving department on the north end of the space but for the rest of it it's completely open with no obstructions at all.  I can whip something up in illy (well, my artist can tomorrow) and I'll post how ours is layed out.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »
i would love a square...rectangles suck for screen printing shops.

nothing beats starting with a clean slate.  I love cleaning rooms out around here and getting to redo them from scratch.  i found so much stuff i forgot about last time i did that.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
I have a good lay out for you....it looks just like mine!

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »
That would be awesome Alan! I'm trying to come up with a good, economical, way of building some kind of a wash out room.

I'm also trying to figure out a good way to make the area you immediately walk into the customer service/office area. I'm currently in a 40'x50' space now, so a similar layout. I want to make it where customers can not walk into the production area. I like them being able to see it, just not roam freely.

Brad, I think that is what I'm most excited about. I like the clean slate start.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
I have a good lay out for you....it looks just like mine!

:-*

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
then at the entrance to the production area, have 2 turret mounted .50-cals .  that usually says "do not enter" pretty well....
Wayne's World 2 (8/10) Movie CLIP - Del's Plan for Waynestock (1993) HD

or you can take the easier route and build a half wall with a an opening that has a door mounted on double action spring hinges.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of possibly doing a half wall. I like the idea that they see the shop. Most customers seem to be surprised/impressed. I think they are expecting a big ink jet printer and a heat press.

Although, the 2 turrets sound much more appealing.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
We were going to have a 50-75' half wall at my wife's business between the "play area" and the regular area.  In the end, we pulled enough existing cabinets to create this half wall with cabinets (upper and lower).  Serves multiple purposes as not only is it a wall but it gives you a lot of storage for the toys on one side with the upper cabinets (removed the doors and made them selves) and the the lower cabinets face outwards and are used as is to store lots of stuff.

As an extra bonus we were able to use doors from the upper cabinets as tops to the bases that had sinks and such in them and to give it all a uniform look.

Basically a free half wall, just had to put in a bit of minor carpentry to them and build door hinges and latches.

Not sure if that is any help to you at all... but something to consider vs just trying to anchor in a half wall.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
That is really smart gilly.  It gives you a nice counter space on either side you choose.  Shane could do that on the showroom side for samples and use the cabinets for catalog storage and such.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
We ain't no dummies!

It was really a no brainer, we were taking down a bunch of cabinets as we were demoing several exam rooms and workstation spaces.  We were going to have a bunch of nice cabinets with nothing to do with them.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
We ain't no dummies!

It was really a no brainer, we were taking down a bunch of cabinets as we were demoing several exam rooms and workstation spaces.  We were going to have a bunch of nice cabinets with nothing to do with them.

Wow! you must be a fancy big city printer! We don't have even one exam room.... :P
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
We don't have any anymore.  We also repurposed the X-Ray room as well.  :p

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
Yet another "home made" exposure unit I imagine ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I'm going to check out Ikea and some places like that to see if I can find some nice looking stuff that will look clean and professional to the customers eye. If it gets too expensive, I may look into framing it and putting a roof/ceiling on it and using the top as a loft type storage space.

Anyone have any idea how cheap used pallet rack/shelving is?

I think I may have a basic layout in my mind.

Let's see some pics guys!