Author Topic: New toy!  (Read 3049 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: New toy!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
Just like a lot of things we use in this industry it was originally used for what Gilly said.  Measuring paint thickness on cars.  They can be had for really cheap or over $1,000.  I've tested mine up against a $1000 unit and it was very accurate.  Ours is a different model than Pierre's but I bet they both work equally well.  If you use the glisten method and have proper speed and pressure with the scoop coater you'll be in the right range for EOM but we still use our meter all the time.  I test our coated screens so I can see if my guy is doing them right without having to sit there and watch him.  I find screens all the time where he forgot what coat he was on and either over coated or under coated a screen and I let him know about it.  I can also tell when he's coating too fast.  The EOM meter won't necessarily make your prints better but it will help dial in a lot of variables that you may or may not be doing right.  But with it, at least you'll know where you are and what you need to do to get things to their optimum level. 

The way I look at some of these tools is whatever gets us great quality prints with the least amount of work possible is what I'll use.  Now my squeegee durometer tester doesn't do much for the overall operation but it didn't cost much so it is just a cool toy to have.  The loupe, tension meter and thickness gauge do get used quite often around here.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
Same here, different model... but repeated testing seems like it's accurate.  Mine came with calibration "stock" and they all tested within enough spec for what we are doing.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »
What's the mill range to look for in one of these?  I want one.  We're going to try switching coaters and it would be really handy. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
What's the mill range to look for in one of these?  I want one.  We're going to try switching coaters and it would be really handy.

this one is probably quite a bit more than needed, but hey if you ever decide to do 3D, this will do it for you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181249522828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

pierre

p.s. if there are more ppl interested we might be able to talk them into a lower price. . .
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Get the price down and I'd be willing to have a 2nd one/checks and balances in the shop.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
i'd be in on this
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285