Author Topic: Adobe Creative Cloud...  (Read 14100 times)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Adobe Creative Cloud...
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
I have CS5 and now am starting to have trouble opening files.  Can someone treat me like kid and explain to me the pros and cons of this cloud garbage?  Looks like we don't have a choose anyway.  Thanks in advance for the help.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Croft

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
kind of think its a rip at $50.00 month Forever!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:49:15 PM »
Biggest downside to me is that "forever" part.

You create all this artwork and one day decide... I'm not paying you anymore... well now you just lost all of your artwork.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
pros: newest version, better font management, some fun scaling tools

cons: expensive, adobe just got hacked (lol)

related to the hacking incident, a friend of mines shop lost a significant amount of money due to not being able to access their stuff while adobe cleaned up the mess.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »

You create all this artwork and one day decide... I'm not paying you anymore... well now you just lost all of your artwork.

your artwork stays with you, it is not in the cloud unless you chose to have a copy on there too!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
CS6 is still available and is a viable option. We only received one CC file so far.

We have a full version of CS6 and a monthly subscription to the cloud, but did not upgrade as we would be running two different versions in the shop if we did. So CS6 it is for now. Then eventually it will be $100/month to keep going.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »

your artwork stays with you, it is not in the cloud unless you chose to have a copy on there too!

pierre

Right, but how do you open it?

When you BUY CS6, you have it to install FOREVER.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Artwork requirement: Please save back to CS5.
Tell that to your customers.

If you still get a CC file, the TSB is here. Ask someone to save back.
I have CC at work (Full time job). We got only one copy for the files that come in as a CC so we could save back and work on CS6.

Done

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
CC will automatically save down to the last 'grounded' version you still actually *have* on your computer so you can still use it.  ;) 

(Just kidding, they'd NEVER do that--at least by default.)

I'm sure they're working on rolling out new nifty 'effects' that can't be saved to older versions as we type...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:40:11 PM by ScreenFoo »

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
what a scam!  Corel should step up their game and get people to switch.  We probably never would, but if they did it right, some would.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
Honestly, I have little use for any of the new features in PS or AI, heck I could run PS 7 and be just fine. Presuming clients are asked to save back, and barring any nefarious blocking of this ability by Adobe, couldn't you just keep using CS5 until it stops running on the latest OS?  And even after that you could run it in a VM.

I think Corel looks great overall.  Some of it's vector features are inferior to AI, but probably not enough to be a deal breaker.  But no Mac = no bueno for a lot of shops.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
Honestly, I have little use for any of the new features in PS or AI, heck I could run PS 7 and be just fine. Presuming clients are asked to save back, and barring any nefarious blocking of this ability by Adobe, couldn't you just keep using CS5 until it stops running on the latest OS?  And even after that you could run it in a VM.

I think Corel looks great overall.  Some of it's vector features are inferior to AI, but probably not enough to be a deal breaker.  But no Mac = no bueno for a lot of shops.

CS6 vector engine is worth the price alone! If you are still trying to vectorize in CS5, you are missing out big time. We used to send art out almost every week, now it's a click of a button and it's done. We send out maybe once a quarter now.

pierre

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
I suspect some influence on this was due to the program being stolen so much.  Probably easier to control this way.  Sure people can still steal the old versions and maybe someone will get a work around for the cloud stuff to, but at some point that will not make sense of people that are ACTUALLY making money with this software.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Pierre
How does 6 help with better w/ vector?
Thx

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »
I think he was talking about "Live Trace"... CS6 really stepped up their game for Live Trace.

BTW, CS6 is also 64 bit in Illustrator... BIG deal if you want to utilize more than 4 gigs of ram.