Author Topic: How cold does your shop get?  (Read 4587 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How cold does your shop get?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »
cold freaking cold, I am upstate NY about 50 miles south of lake Ontario. I have an old building that holds onto heat like a sailor on shore leave holds money........so  I do not heat over night.
It gets see your breath cold and the ink is stiff enough to walk on. My wash out room is small, and we heat it overnight to protect things like emulsion from getting too cold.
Ink we warm up over the floor registers (forced air heat) or if we are smart enough to plan place the ink for the  first job of the day in the heated room overnight.
I have often thought of building a ink warming cabinet or getting an old refrigerator and heating with 25 or 40 watt bulb controlled by a thermostat but I never seem to get there.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Our main offices and embroidery area is central heat and programmed. But our Printing area is wide open about twnety feet high and has one gas heater. We leave it set to 50 and thats that. Common inks go in the screen room which has a small space heater keeping it nice and balmy. The print area being so huge and tall never actually gets to 50 with the heater atleast not at floor level. You can just about see your breath. there is an industrial ceiling fan installed that pushes the heat down some what.

We also plastic wrap our over head door since it is the biggest area of heat loss.

This is in Connecticut BTW. And I drove into work this morning through a nice snow squall, flakes the size of half dollars.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
hahah, you guys have snow already...that's funny.

it's supposed to get into the 20's tonight, that should be fun.  of course the weather hasn't been right at all for the lows overnight.  literally at 11PM the low is listed at 44, when I wake up, it's around 36.  How can they be that far off only a few hours away?

my dad was really stingy with the heat, we didn't have gas hooked up before because the only appliance that used it was the furnace, it was $50-60 a month just to have gas, even if you didn't use a therm.  with the gas oven it made sense to hook the furnace up to it and heat the warehouse and office.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
hahah, you guys have snow already...that's funny.

it's supposed to get into the 20's tonight, that should be fun.  of course the weather hasn't been right at all for the lows overnight.  literally at 11PM the low is listed at 44, when I wake up, it's around 36.  How can they be that far off only a few hours away?

my dad was really stingy with the heat, we didn't have gas hooked up before because the only appliance that used it was the furnace, it was $50-60 a month just to have gas, even if you didn't use a therm.  with the gas oven it made sense to hook the furnace up to it and heat the warehouse and office.

I grew up in a 239 year old historical house in Hartford. My father being from Sicily was beyond stingy for heat, growing up all we had was a couple nasty smelling kerosene heaters in the massive uninsulated house. It was crazy you literally walked 3 feet away from the heater and you were in the arctic. We also had a coal furnace that my father would make me shovel coal off a truck down a coal chute, that was always fun.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
I grew up in a 239 year old historical house in Hartford. My father being from Sicily was beyond stingy for heat, growing up all we had was a couple nasty smelling kerosene heaters in the massive uninsulated house. It was crazy you literally walked 3 feet away from the heater and you were in the arctic. We also had a coal furnace that my father would make me shovel coal off a truck down a coal chute, that was always fun.

but i bet that taught you to be thankful for what you have and the value of hard work...

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 09:21:51 AM »
TCT, I'm near Buffalo NY.....once in a while, we take turns warming up in the ink room...we can handle the cold but it's the equipment that really suffers. takes a while to warm everything up for production.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
Radiant heat in the whole shop...stays at a nice 68 degrees or warmer all winter.

If the dryer is going it is almost too warm.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
Snow already, wow.  I've always wanted it to get really cold and snow here but I bet a few days of it and I'd be ready for the usual 65 in the winter.  It's been a little cooler than average here this year.  We've already had a few significant cool fronts with a big one blowing in right now.  30 mph north winds this morning and I had to drive 20 miles straight into it on my way back from the airport in a vehicle that's shaped like a box with 34" tires so I was struggling to stay at the 80mph speed limit.  I got 23 mpg on the way to the airport and 9 on the way back.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
Halfway between Boston and Worcester... 102 year old mill building, we never know what we're going to get. Some winter mornings we're below freezing, some days we get in and it's 85° and we have to open all the doors and windows...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
Yep New England weather is like a box of chocolates. Some summers we get 100 degrees easily with wicked humidity and some winters we get 4 foot snow storms. Then we get a stretch of rainy mild winters and a stretch of snowy cold as all hell winters. Its been spitting flakes for a couple days now, forecast has a possible t-shirt weather day in the future.
"No man is an island"

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
Little brisk here..we just got heat in the shop 2 years ago..we had an exhaust fan that i had to block off..since we are in an old kitchen..The old oantry is where we keep the inks and screens..have a small space heater in there..when i had only the manual the high in the shop before heat was 45 degrees in the middle of winter..I figured if i wasnt warm i wasnt working hard enough..LOL

now we just have a wall unit that keeps it around 55 at night. Now that we have the auto dryer, we turn that on for the day and its 85 in there...we wear shorts...

Albany NY

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
I'm in Massachusetts. Winter at my shop is always in the 50's.

They are just finishing installing a new heating system and I'm being told it will never be under 65. If this is true, I'm in heaven.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »
Alan you are the type I said to bite me, with your 65 degrees! :D  It was 15 degrees on my way in today, with the wind chill it was about 4 degrees. And it doesn't usually get cold here till January. 

This will be our first year with the addition added on, while it is more sq. footage it also replaced a wall that you could see daylight coming through and had newspaper and hay used for insulation. So I am almost thinking it will be a toss up. We have central heat and air for the front half- office area and what used to be the embroidery room. With that there are like 5 vents that run in back off of that but that just keeps it above freezing.

One fortunate thing for us is this building has been retro fitted so many times there are odd things everywhere. There was a whole forced air HVAC system in the ceiling above 1/3 of the space. I ripped it out when we bought the building because it was not hooked up. I left the ducting in mainly because I didn't want to rip the ceiling down to remove it. But in the winter it serves a purpose again, the main trunk used to enter the ceiling directly to the left and above of our dryer outfeed. I just affixed 2 box fans directed into it, and when it gets warm in back I turn them on. That pushed extra warm throughout the whole first floor! It is nice, but I am most concerned about the early morning hours in the printing area(mainly the white and poly inks).

I am thinking I may clear some room under the infeed for the dryer to put the whites and poly inks. I am not super excited about that idea, but if I don't install that radiant tube heater here I am thinking that under the infeed may be my best option.

Thanks guys!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
I wish it would get real cold here then we might could sell some high dollar sweats and stuff, we don't even get a call for long sleeves much, by the time we get hard cold in January its warming up.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
On days it gets real cold here, I just turn on the gas dryer about an hour before production.  It alone keeps the room at a bearable  temp.
It's not a job if you love doing it.