Author Topic: Holy Crap! What a visit!  (Read 7468 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Holy Crap! What a visit!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »
I think TwitchTV can be set up to where only paid subscribers can view both a live stream and the archive of livestreams.
"No man is an island"

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
Might be cool to have the video deal, but also have the possibility for people that could make it, to actually come to where the shindig is going down... The videos are always a nice thing to be able to go back and reference latter. But I know I personally learn waaaaaaaaaaaaay better hands on. 
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline siestasol

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »
I'm in... For whatever you guys decide is the best. I was able to talk with him a couple years ago with some "emulsion " question and was an open mind situation, and one more step on my learning curve.... I contact him through the old board and He was a nice person. He follow me for a couple days to be sure I was doing well...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
We are very lucky to have some of these guys that are so willing to see the next generation carry on the things they mastered.  I really hope to be able to somehow repay the guys that have spent their time with me on so many occasions.  There are some unbelievable printers in the world today who owe pretty much everything to guys like Joe and Richard, among a few others I could mention.  I've got a short list of "gurus" of the industry that I'm very lucky to have at least a small bit of access to and I'm greatful for every minute of conversation.  I trust their opinions and their views on anything screen printing.  If Joe was to tell me that mixing cat urine to our white ink would make our print quality go up I'd be out gathering up cats as soon as I got off the phone.  That's the amount of faith I put into suggestions that come from Richard and Joe.

I know these guys would be embarrassed if someone did this, but a Mount Rushmore of screen printing would be a fun project to do.  The guys on it wouldn't want to be there because of their humility but I'm sure they've all lived a life of taking their job very seriously but themselves, not so much.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
I agree with a video, as opposed to live online class. This way anyone can view it and there would not be any time/schedule conflicts. Plus being able to pause, rewind, etc would be great.

I like the idea of it being held at a shop, so we can see clear hands on examples of what should be done.

I also like the idea of from the basics up. I'd like to think I know the basics, but truth is I am self taught and probably do a ton of things out of the norm. It would also be great to watch certain videos with new employees as part of their training.

Depending on price, I'd prefer to do a one time payment that got me access to everything. Unless it was very expensive, in which case I'd choose which ones were most beneficial to me.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
Well........a common additive for WB inks used to be Urea which is derived from cow pee so you're not far off Alan.
(A little something even RG probably didn't know)

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
Live or webinars doesn't matter just make them all archival/recorded. So we can go back and study them. I would be will to X for the classes or the webinars. Love the idea. Seeing helps me tremendously.
Shane

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
Whatever you do, I'm in. I met Richard way back in the mid-eighties. Our shop was the first in North America to have a Matex (Italian machine, 7 colors, and had the ability to put a flash between each head if you had to.) It was the pre-cursor to most of the round machines around. Geoff Baxter from Advance (at the time) came to look at it, as did Mr. Greaves. He wanted to see how fast it would go... it was a lot faster that he was, or any of us for that matter, but it was Paul Bunyan against the Wood chopping machine; the machine was faster than humans could load and unload by far. That was about it's only real good point after owning it for a while, but he sure did agree about it's speed. It had some nice ideas that were expounded upon by the other manufacturers. Soon came the round machine from Precision, Advance came out with the Centurion and others. Back to topic, Richard wrote great articles, and it would be fabulous to have him here. I hope you can persuade him to join in.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
Remember the scene in Shreck where the princess sings and the bird explodes?  Keep that in mind while I relate this story.

This may have actually happened or I simply have combined several unique memories into one story, so be fairly warned and put on your boots!

I once was sitting at an SGIA event and around the table sat Richard Greaves, Don Newman, Joe Clark, Fred Clark, Mark Coudray, Tames Frescka and about a dozen groupies like myself who wanted to soak up sage advice.

As each related (pontificated) their opinions and theories on how we rag printers ply our trade, remember each guru was carrying on his own theology quite oblivious of the others around the table, continued I felt my head began to throb as the immense volumes of information crammed into my tiny cranium.

Slowly but surely heads all around the room began to explode from info overload just as that tiny bird did in the Shreck animated feature.

The aforementioned group of individuals shared information and thoroughly enjoyed the point/counterpoint intellectual exchange.

As I said, this may have only happened in my memory, but I really wish I could experience it again, or for the first time  ::)

Much of my current modest success is directly attributable to dozens of conversations like I described herein.

Thanks guys!

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
I know these guys would be embarrassed if someone did this, but a Mount Rushmore of screen printing would be a fun project to do.  The guys on it wouldn't want to be there because of their humility but I'm sure they've all lived a life of taking their job very seriously but themselves, not so much.
[/quote]

I'd buy the shirt, anybody out there know an artist who can do the job!

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »

I'd buy the shirt, anybody out there know an artist who can do the job!

~Kitson[/quote]

great idea, but my only request is to have Ryan in place of washington.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
We would put our guys on a webx or go to meeting. No brainer.
A little interaction for this level is better than downstream view imho.
But what do I know?

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
If I had some decent photos of each guy we could easily do the artwork and print up some shirts...... Someone would just need to supply some pics for us to use

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »
Remember the scene in Shreck where the princess sings and the bird explodes?  Keep that in mind while I relate this story.

This may have actually happened or I simply have combined several unique memories into one story, so be fairly warned and put on your boots!

I once was sitting at an SGIA event and around the table sat Richard Greaves, Don Newman, Joe Clark, Fred Clark, Mark Coudray, Tames Frescka and about a dozen groupies like myself who wanted to soak up sage advice.

As each related (pontificated) their opinions and theories on how we rag printers ply our trade, remember each guru was carrying on his own theology quite oblivious of the others around the table, continued I felt my head began to throb as the immense volumes of information crammed into my tiny cranium.

Slowly but surely heads all around the room began to explode from info overload just as that tiny bird did in the Shreck animated feature.

The aforementioned group of individuals shared information and thoroughly enjoyed the point/counterpoint intellectual exchange.

As I said, this may have only happened in my memory, but I really wish I could experience it again, or for the first time  ::)

Much of my current modest success is directly attributable to dozens of conversations like I described herein.

Thanks guys!

~Kitson

Wow, Fred Clark. What a nice gentleman. I had a half dozen conversations with him back then, he was totally free with info, and made sure you understood what he said. If I remember correctly, his seps were done with filters on a process camera, and they were spectacular. I was very sad when I learned of his passing. Looks like the only guy missing was Jeff Campos from Electronic Design Group...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
Count me in!  I think a live stream would work well if a presentation was given on a particular issue and we could be at our shop following along (even hands on with our own equipment if it was a presentation that allowed for this).  Then once the presentation was done it could be time for Q&A so that shop specific questions could be addressed.  This way the presentation is not interrupted but we could still have the opportunity to have things clarified our tailored to our own unique situations.

Subscription based or fee per session or both would work.  I think an archive of the videos for subscribers would be beneficial since it will be difficult to find a time that works for everyone.