Author Topic: Isn't there a free ink mixing software online?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

Isn't there a free ink mixing software online?
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:58:37 AM »
I thought I seen long ago from a screen printing ink web site that had a free download that would tell you the percent make up of ink colors. Does anyone have a link or point me in the right direction? I have a logo I need to mix some ink on and need to know the color breakdown percentages. I am doing a web search but can't seem to find it just yet.
Mark

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Isn't there a free ink mixing software online?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
Most major ink manufactures of textile inks offer their formulas for Pantones

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
Yes Mark, this can only work within a specific mixing system.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:21 AM »
as Frog already said, you have to have inks designed for mixing. Regular off the shelf stuff will not work. Navy for example has a lot of black in it and if you add white it will turn gray rather than royal.
what color are you looking for and how much do you need? Somebody here might be able to help.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
For eyeball mixes, I have a pantone book. It will give the formula for mixing offset inks. It gives you a good starting point for eyeball mixes. There's usually a small amount of a color thrown in that you wouldn't expect and it helps give you a good gauge for what percentages of colors make up the mix. Of course you are usually using colors that are a little different to the mixing colors in the recipe, so it will take a little tweaking in the end. I make sure the customer knows that it will not be exact but usually pretty close. And also make sure they know if they order again, and we make another eyeball mix the shades will more than likely be a little different.

If it is going to be a repeat order I will recommend them paying a PMS charge and I will order a gallon of the color to keep on hand for their future orders.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »
Not exactly true Shan. Those recipies are for the Pantone colors used in their top secret propietary printing plant where they have a specialy designed printing press and proprietary inks to print the books, chips, etc. You will notice they use warm red, reflex blue, trans white, etc. These are not offset inks. But yes if you have a good eye for color it can aid you. Others will be baffled by it. What is the opacity of their trans white? Only they know.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Not exactly true Shan. Those recipies are for the Pantone colors used in their top secret propietary printing plant where they have a specialy designed printing press and proprietary inks to print the books, chips, etc. You will notice they use warm red, reflex blue, trans white, etc. These are not offset inks. But yes if you have a good eye for color it can aid you. Others will be baffled by it. What is the opacity of their trans white? Only they know.

I just use it as a guide to point me in the right direction.

I worked at a paper company who did special mix inks for the paper printing world, you'd be amazed at how low tech the process was.