Author Topic: Tech Issue Unrelated to Screen Printing - Reset???  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Tech Issue Unrelated to Screen Printing - Reset???
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:34:55 AM »
I've gotten fairly used to disconnecting power to my modem and router when there's problems with my Wi Fi or Cable TV.
More than once, I've reminded my wife to completely shut down her iphone or ipad to do a hard re-start when they act up. Recently needed to do something similar with my Roku stick.
Apparently, sometimes these "computery" things get a little full of themselves, and a reset clears out the clutter.
On Christmas eve, we had a bit of a dishwasher disaster. I awoke to sounds radiating through the hot water pipes, and it appeared that the fill valve was not only stuck open, but in a way that a little resistance was setting up bad vibrations through the pipes.
Shut off the water supply to at least get some peace and quiet, and save water.
Next day, turned on the water again, but now, the valve appeared to stay shut. No fill at all. (better than the way it was at least) Unit is a pretty upscale (for its time) Kenmore Elite, from 2005-ish, made, at that time, by Bosch.

Tech showed up, tried the machine, removed the bottom plate, looked around, fiddled a bit, and could only speculate a sensor or control board problem (never even mentioned the fill valve) At one point, he had me hit the circuit breaker.
Board is not available, and sensor is part of a whole temp thingie that along with labor makes the repair of a 13 year old machine impractical anyway.
I just settled up with the diagnostic charge.

Checking the machine again, damned if it didn't work! He had no explanation other than good luck, or something got shaken free.
Although he made no mention of it, could somehow, disrupting the power to the board help clear its confusion? How "computery" would the electronics of a 15 year old machine be? Is there still some sort of cache that could benefit from being cleared?
I do now see mention of resets and hard re-sets on newer machines, but wonder how far back this goes.
Trying this simple action could save a lot of folks, a lot of grief.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:15:59 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Tech Issue Unrelated to Screen Printing - Reset???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 11:51:15 AM »
Generally speaking no, machines like that don't have memory other than the program itself.
Just a microcontroller that runs and runs, and maybe stores some incidentals, IE cycles or whatever.
Not unlike the machines we know and love.

More likely is the standard electrical gremlin cure of coincidentally jostling a wire somewhere while looking
for the actual issue. Always a great feeling when the thing works again, followed by the realization that you
have no idea why.

It does bring up a good point though in that newer machines do have memories and many require internet connections to
function properly. A faucet you talk to? What could possibly go wrong?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:22:39 PM »
it is possible it was mechanical, too. the valve could have hit the resonance frequency and just would not close. if a reset of electronics without a computer fixed it, my guess it was mechanical. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »
We feel lucky at any rate, whatever the reason, for the time being. Nonetheless, we may be on borrowed time and are planning a trip to look at a likely replacement for the time if and when it becomes necessary.
Older models did not list their db output as the new ones do, and that was a deciding factor in the last choice. Our current one passed the "Wife Ear Test" at Sears where she could hear it run.  Hopefully, we can listen to the new candidates.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:48:25 PM »
Speaking of noise, we replaced our dishwasher about 5 years ago and it was super quiet back then, now it it sounds loud at certain wash cycles, so Frog noise might still be in your future at some point as it gets older ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 02:15:49 PM »
We feel lucky at any rate, whatever the reason, for the time being. Nonetheless, we may be on borrowed time and are planning a trip to look at a likely replacement for the time if and when it becomes necessary.
Older models did not list their db output as the new ones do, and that was a deciding factor in the last choice. Our current one passed the "Wife Ear Test" at Sears where she could hear it run.  Hopefully, we can listen to the new candidates.

check out the dish drawers. 'would not go back to regular dishwashers.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 02:23:02 PM »

pierre

Mrs. Frog is also especially interested in some of the newer configurations for the silverware

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »

pierre

Mrs. Frog is also especially interested in some of the newer configurations for the silverware

dunno anything about that, but I do know that with the drawers you don't have to bend down to load it, you can run very small loads and you get the second drawer for when you have ppl over or want to run two different cycles (heavy on bottom and light on top for example) at the same time.

pierre

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 02:33:22 PM »

pierre

dunno anything about that, but I do know that with the drawers you don't have to bend down to load it, you can run very small loads and you get the second drawer for when you have ppl over or want to run two different cycles (heavy on bottom and light on top for example) at the same time.

pierre

Ours already has a "Top Only" setting, but we've never used it.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 07:27:19 AM »
On a possibly connected note before you replace something broken in your world a part fix sometimes works.
For all kinds of parts from your kitchen to your pool this is a good start
https://www.partswarehouse.com/orderdetails.asp?AuthHash=080ff4a375e0c5b85cb9d1aa0f252022&OrderID=3621759

Recently my son's blower motor on his 20 year old boiler quit. HVAC guy said parts going to be impossible to get "that is a real old unit".
They left to find a replacement blower unit. Called in an hour .........found one, not in stock,  it was $685.00. No thanks......

We found one here https://electricmotorwarehouse.com got it delivered in 2 days for $350.00 and it was brand new and  an EXACT replacement  including all connections and the wiring / plug to the circuit board. Took a 1/2 hour to bolt it up & fire up ...nice
Just a related FYI.....
mooseman

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.