Author Topic: Qcm bought out by Rutland?  (Read 7659 times)

Offline inkbrigade

Qcm bought out by Rutland?
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
I got an email today saying Qcm was bought out by Rutland and the Kent WA plant is being shut down.
I called the QCM number at 3pm pacific and got a message saying i called after business hours, which they are PST so they should have been open.

Does anyone know if QCM is still going to be produced?

If not we need to start the search for a new white ink again.. ugh. Colin where are you buddy?
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Qcm bought out by Rutland?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Should we stock up on stuff now or are the prices going up or is the line going away.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »
When the same thing happened with Union, the brand and line remained.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:52:00 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:51:04 AM »
Didn't Wilflex's parent company (PolyOne) purchase Rutland several years ago? You would think that the buyouts would come from PolyOne and not Rutland.

I could be wrong on PolyOne having bought Rutland. I think they also bought Nazdar 5-7 years back also.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:54:17 AM »
I think that you are thinking of the Rutland-Union marriage that I brought up.
Same owner, two distinct lines (now three?)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:03 AM »
I got an email today saying Qcm was bought out by Rutland and the Kent WA plant is being shut down.
I called the QCM number at 3pm pacific and got a message saying i called after business hours, which they are PST so they should have been open.

If not we need to start the search for a new white ink again.. ugh. Colin where are you buddy?

Hey,
Yes, QCM has been bought out. Just the ink division for screen printing. Colin is still around, just not with QCM. That dude has helped us a lot and continues to and I am sure many others. From what I hear/understand QCM's ink is not going anywhere for some time. Eventually I am sure there will be changes but it will hopefully be the combining of the best of both ink lines. We have used QCM for plastisols since day one since a lot of our larger clients require "clean" inks when using plastisol. Don't sweat it. However, it never hurts to have a back up plan!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 01:53:47 AM »

Ah, so the email has gone out.  I'll have to change my post at SPOF to reflect this.

Yes, Rutland has purchased QCM.  All production of QCM inks will be done at the Rutland facility in Pineville N.C.  They will be using the same formulas that QCM has used.  Nothing is going to change. 

Dan: If I remember right, Rutland is owned by Rutland Holdings.  And Wilflex has been for sale for several years from PolyOne.

Have a great weekend all, off to the hot tub!

edit:  Thanks for the Kudos Brandon! 
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:31:10 AM »
Hope they don't muck up the formula (except for that batch of 158 from last fall that was too stiff). Little by little I've been replacing Union inks with QCM.

It's like going to the bank. Before you know it, there will be only The Bank after all of the mergers. I guess eventually we'll be getting our ink from Ink, Inc.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Didn't Wilflex's parent company (PolyOne) purchase Rutland several years ago? You would think that the buyouts would come from PolyOne and not Rutland.

I could be wrong on PolyOne having bought Rutland. I think they also bought Nazdar 5-7 years back also.

Dan:  To the very best of my knowledge PolyOne has absolutely no ownership of Rutland, and I know with total certainty that they have Zero interest in the ownership of the Nazdar Company. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 09:56:24 AM »

Dan: If I remember right, Rutland is owned by Rutland Holdings.  And Wilflex has been for sale for several years from PolyOne.

Colin:  I don't know where you're getting your information on PolyOne, but I can tell you that the Wilflex inks division is not for sale at this time.  You can take it for a fact that I know of at least one company that has an existing and very significant relationship with Wilflex (like being their biggest distributor in the world) that would be first in line to make an acquisition of Wilflex "IF" PolyOne ever decides to spin them off.   

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
I've been talking to a few reps and my question is, what does this all mean to the price of inks? How much of an increase are we going to see? I've heard anywhere from 20-300%. Is everything being made going to be compliant with the new regulations? I was told Wilflex isn't going to make anything but the Epic series. I should probably stock up on the basics, even the economy brand inks like Triangle have a huge increase coming.

So Rutland owns Union and QCM - they should marry it and only make one brand  = Qrution
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »
is it a far fetched idea that a company buys the others and then since controls a majority decides to raise prices...

maybe like broder tried doing?

Offline Clark

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:19:01 PM »
If all the american ink companies merge and jack prices up, you can bet a company from overseas will fix that problem real quick.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
is it a far fetched idea that a company buys the others and then since controls a majority decides to raise prices...

maybe like broder tried doing?

Since we were little kids playing board games on "family night" we learned that having a Monopoly and squeezing every last penny out of everyone else's purse and pockets was the goal of all red-blooded Americans, didn't we?
You some commie creep or sumptin'?  :o

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
I've been talking to a few reps and my question is, what does this all mean to the price of inks? How much of an increase are we going to see? I've heard anywhere from 20-300%. Is everything being made going to be compliant with the new regulations? I was told Wilflex isn't going to make anything but the Epic series. I should probably stock up on the basics, even the economy brand inks like Triangle have a huge increase coming.

Homer:  All of the screen-printing ink manufacturers are experiencing unprecedented upwards pricing pressure, and limited availability for raw materials right now.  The scary thing is, that no one really knows where the ceiling is.  If you want to get a feel for what’s driving these increases I suggest that you Google “News On Titanium Dioxide” and you’ll see just how much pressure there is on white ink pricing due to cost increases and limited availability. 

You can also Google “plasticizer price increases” and be taken to a page that lists information on increases from BASF and Eastman Chemical the two primary manufacturers that control the supply of these raw materials. I can assure you that PolyOne/Wilflex and the Nazdar Company, and I expect all other manufacturers and suppliers to the screen-printing industry are doing our very best to minimize the negative impact of these increases to our customers.