Author Topic: Does anyone play the keyboard/piano?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Does anyone play the keyboard/piano?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 01:38:33 PM »
Well if they end up setting up home in my home then yeah its not worth it. Never lived with them and don't feel like sharing my food with them either lol.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
don't worry about used instruments; check them carefully, that's all. 90% of my instruments have been used. Truth be told, most of the finest instruments are used, think Stradivarius for a few million each. Anyway, try to get 88 keys if Piano is what you want to study. A decent work around is a used controller with weighted keys, like a Fatar SL-990, and a used piano module, probably under $500 if you shop carefully. As for learning, forget the gimmicks like lighted keys; if Ray Charles didn't need them, neither do you. I can't play my way out of a paper bag on the piano, but I have been an earnest student of the guitar since 1965, and can read, and understand basic harmony, so I understand playing music, and love to share my enthusiasm for playing. An honest half hour a day will show results like you wouldn't believe, and you'll shortly improve to the point where a half hour isn't nearly enough... just go get one, and wave your freak flag high; you can always resell it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Well if they end up setting up home in my home then yeah its not worth it. Never lived with them and don't feel like sharing my food with them either lol.

Just bring it to the shop and clean it up there.  They won't live in there long, no food or water.  So after they evacuate, then you can bring it home.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »
don't worry about used instruments; check them carefully, that's all. 90% of my instruments have been used. Truth be told, most of the finest instruments are used, think Stradivarius for a few million each. Anyway, try to get 88 keys if Piano is what you want to study. A decent work around is a used controller with weighted keys, like a Fatar SL-990, and a used piano module, probably under $500 if you shop carefully. As for learning, forget the gimmicks like lighted keys; if Ray Charles didn't need them, neither do you. I can't play my way out of a paper bag on the piano, but I have been an earnest student of the guitar since 1965, and can read, and understand basic harmony, so I understand playing music, and love to share my enthusiasm for playing. An honest half hour a day will show results like you wouldn't believe, and you'll shortly improve to the point where a half hour isn't nearly enough... just go get one, and wave your freak flag high; you can always resell it.

Steve

Ditto...I went to college on a fairly substantial music scholarship and find that consistent practice is the key.  Like working out you will often feel like no progress is being made...kind of like a plateau.  If you stick with it you will look back and be quite glad that you hung in there.