Author Topic: New shop (IF all goes well)  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
New shop (IF all goes well)
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:04 AM »
So we submitted a contract/bid to buy a new building and it's currently under contract but it looks like it's falling through.  They failed to do their inspection this past monday and only have 10 days till contract is up.  PLUS, the agent rather deal with us because my girl that has been doing all the wheeling and dealing for us isn't an agent so he doesn't have to split commission, he's still gonna give her .5% (which is 1k) so she's ecstatic, I'll throw in a $100 Ruth's Chris card as well (Amex points).

So, given we get this place... we are figuring out how to lay it out.  It's fairly well laid out already as the place was previously occupied by a uniform shop that did alterations and embroidery.  It has 3 phase power and gas already plumbed in.  Sewer is septic tank and might have some issues with plumbing, I will see.  But it's a metal roof and a brick building, can't have much go wrong there.  Oh, and the neighbors that we share a parking lot with 100' away have a fork lift!!! :) :) :)

So here is the base layout and then a couple of purposed layouts... I'd appreciate everyone/anyone's input and feel free to completely abandon what I've proposed and go crazy!

Also including the AI file which is on a 1 cm = 1 foot scale.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: New shop (IF all goes well)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:22 AM »
Guess I should add, orange is internal doors, light blue external (including two garage doors, one will not be used likely), dark blue is "service windows", one in proposed office in front will likely be sliding glass with perf on it (so we can easily talk with office manager behind counter up front and also be closed for privacy from public). green is counters/workbenches (which reminds me there are some in the two middle offices on the right walls that I forgot to put in there, but nothing that can't be pulled out.)

Purple in kitchen is cabinets.  Purple else were is proposed built walls.

Oh and Red "box" is breaker box... which is amazingly STUFFED and will likely cause me hell come inspection time.  50 circuits jammed in a 30 circuit box!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »
Looking good!!!
That showroom is almost bigger than my whole shop/basement :)

Good luck

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »
I prefer No.2 because I am concern with lint from embroidery going onto the wide format printing area.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
I prefer No.2 because I am concern with lint from embroidery going onto the wide format printing area.

I guess I should have clarified in "proposed1"... the embroidery would likely go out in the warehouse up against that blocked garage door/ computer wall... or anywhere OPPOSITE of washout booth and other potential problems... possibly building a "shield"(divider) of some sort.  We will also likely build a small closet in the warehouse for a drill press that grinds glass... have to trap that dust for SURE!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »
Hope it works out as that is that space will mean AUTO and gas dryer!!!

Is the warehouse conditioned...that HVAC location has me thinking it might be?  If not I would keep the embroidery machine in a conditioned room as there is no need to sweat it out if not necessary.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »
Hope it works out as that is that space will mean AUTO and gas dryer!!!

Is the warehouse conditioned...that HVAC location has me thinking it might be?  If not I would keep the embroidery machine in a conditioned room as there is no need to sweat it out if not necessary.

Yeah, it actually has 3 central AC units, all gas heat.  That HVAC you see in the warehouse has a duct going straight up and T'ing off and running 3/4 of the width of that wall in both directions pushing out into the space.  Not too bad.

I'll post more pics soon.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
I don't like embroidery that closed in except it's nice to baffle the noise from the rest of the shop. If you do close it in, make it a little bigger as it tends to take on a life of it's own if you put out good product, and it's often high margin stuff!. Also, a lot of the product is bulky like jackets and often require a lot of packing and unpacking.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
Your gonna need a bigger room when you buy all my SWF stuff.  Just sayin.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
Mind everyone that the walls in "AS-IS NOW" are what is there now. 

Even if I left it as two rooms now, I'd likely out grow that embroidery room and move it to the shop.  So either I do it in phases like that OR, I just go straight from the get out with the larger singular room.

I'm also likely going to bring my sand blasting cabinet in the shop which only presents a small issue where I will need to build a small closet type room for one part of that operation (part of our secret weapon there).

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
Alright... I put together this silly collage/site that shows pictures inside the shop as seen from the vantage point they are placed at on the map.

Just click on the thumbnail to see the larger version of the picture.  Warehouse has all 4 angles covered... other rooms aren't that big of a deal.

http://911pcemergency.com/Atees/ShopPics/NewShopPics.html

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
Nice! I could use a building like that. My 3400 sq/ft is crammed.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline starchild

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
Kev came to take over and conquer.. He's not playing. :) ;) 8)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
or it's a lot of time spent on a building he hasn't even put an offer on. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
or it's a lot of time spent on a building he hasn't even put an offer on. ;)

Touche', though I do enjoy the thrill of it all.

I just told the wife, if I don't get this building me and my printer are going to go into deep depression. LOL

Just a joke of course.  I'll just keep pushing through, till something happens.

But I will get with my girl tomorrow to start putting the pressure on them to sign a post dated bid/contract.  At least that will lock me in when the first one falls through.  They claim they will tell them they want to back out if they do call.  They only have till Friday.

One thing we have going for us, is that we aren't using an agent... so his agent wants to take all the commission, best way to do that is by doing our deal... and it's asking price.