screen printing > General Screen Printing

sticky film problem

(1/4) > >>

Shanarchy:
Hey gang,

I know this has been discussed before, but I am having a major film problem. I use Fixxon's waterproof film. I know it is a humidity problem because I do not have this problem in the winter.

The problem: The coating on the print side of the film is extremely sticky. If you touch it with your finger, it will stick like it was glued to it. When you put it to the screen it will stick to the emulsion where you have to pry it off. Most of the times either pulling the emulsion (I use capillary film) to the point where you ruin the screen or the actually coating on the film will stick to the screen making washout impossible. I assume the humidity in the air is mixing with the film coating. Is this because these are low quality films? or do all films do this? I don't quite recall having this issue with other manufacturers film.

Question 1) What can I do to make these films useable. 

Question 2) If these are "waterproof" films, then why does a drop of water seem to mess with the coating?

Thanks in advance!

Shane

Frog:
Wow, just the opposite of what I usually hear and have experienced: certain sticky emulsions taking the ink off the film!
Like you say. humidity sounds like the culprit, as I use Fixxons, and have no such issue in a generally dry environment.
Have you considered asking Fixxons?
Maybe they know of a bad batch, or could say outright, oh, our film has problems above 60% relative humidity, or what ever the amount is.

Then, have you considered a dehumidifier in the problem area?

ebscreen:
I use Fixxons as well, and I have the issue of emulsion pulling
the ink off making most films one time only.

I put my films in the cabinet with my screens at %25 humidity for
a couple hours or days before exposing. They (should be) dry.

This and the d-max/min make me consider switching.

Shanarchy:

--- Quote from: Frog on July 12, 2011, 07:31:05 PM ---Wow, just the opposite of what I usually hear and have experienced: certain sticky emulsions taking the ink off the film!
Like you say. humidity sounds like the culprit, as I use Fixxons, and have no such issue in a generally dry environment.
Have you considered asking Fixxons?
Maybe they know of a bad batch, or could say outright, oh, our film has problems above 60% relative humidity, or what ever the amount is.

Then, have you considered a dehumidifier in the problem area?

--- End quote ---

Frog,

I was just about to reply back that I was planning on calling Fixxon's in the morning. Then I realized they are located in California (I'm in MA) and are still open. They confirmed it is a humidity issue. Being located on the water in Massachusetts, our summers get extremely humid. I hate the winter so when summer comes I refuse to use AC. I love the heat. However, the film does not share my sentiments. They recommend keeping it stored in a cool dark area, preferably air conditioned. I am going to test a couple of options and will report back what I find works. Unless someone has done the testing for me already and would like to share what they do.

I tell you, the the more experienced I become, the more issues with the basics I get. I swear I'm moving backwards here.

Shanarchy:

--- Quote from: ebscreen on July 12, 2011, 07:51:36 PM ---I use Fixxons as well, and I have the issue of emulsion pulling
the ink off making most films one time only.

I put my films in the cabinet with my screens at %25 humidity for
a couple hours or days before exposing. They (should be) dry.

This and the d-max/min make me consider switching.

--- End quote ---

More so than not I get the ink coming off the film onto the screen/emulsion in a couple of spots, too. Not a tone, but enough to make the film non-useable again. I don't mind that too much as I generally do not save the film. I know I am in the minority on that one, but I feel the film is less than $1 and for the lack of frequency of repeat orders of the same design it's not too big of a deal to me.

Now what is the d-min/d-max issue with the Fixxon's films?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version