Author Topic: Roller Frame Abuse  (Read 13355 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Roller Frame Abuse
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
I keep it simple. Lie to me and I found out and your gone. If something gets F'd up fess up. Sent a new guy home today who thought I was kidding. I asked him to clean out a screen for me. When I asked him if it was done he said oh yeah I did that. Walked out to the rack and guess what. Never touched it. Sent him home on the spot to think about it. We will see how we works out tomorrow. This is a seasoned guy too. 10 years in the biz. Might be why he was out of work to begin with.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
If people are hiding it from you, that's not a quality employee.  That's all I know.  I don't care what else they bring to the table, lying is lying.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
I think that sending someone home when they're really effing up bad is the best thing to do for everyone.  Gives them time to think about, pulls them out of the situation, gives you time to cool off if needed and it sends a strong message- this kind of behavior doesn't belong in this print shop.  Plus, half the time it's just a bad day/hangover day for someone and it leads to goof ups which get escalated into way more than they should be.   

Your problem Alan is you probably don't want to (or more like can't) send your whole crew home when they all start narcing each other out.  I've never had anyone in here who liked to point fingers at others when they erred...at least no one for too long.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
Might be exactly what you have to do--make sure you're ahead of schedule far enough to send everyone home if they continue to be full of it.

Shirt thing would piss me the hell off.  Almost came unglued yesterday--front print is already broken down, counting in the back--where's the 2XL?  Wasn't there when he COUNTED THEM IN.  Why are we running this if we're short shirts?  Holy crap...  Talk about not being able to put two and two together. 
We're talking about counting TO ONE. 

It might not fix your problem to hear it, but you're surely not alone...

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Roller Frame Abuse
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
When I was a manager for a wireless video company and things broke, failed or were not right I would address it in The morning meeting and ask for input as to why things are screwed up then i would say show me, if they could not offer an improvement or change or show me a defect then it was a training or people issue. If its bad screen mesh document it for me, if its a sloppy area and things are in the way, change it, if there is a reason other then gorilla hands show me and then correct it. It could be you just need to move some things around lessen the chance of damage less steps walked equals time saved. If no one can give you a reason and the shop is set up good send them all home half day unpaid or give the option to improve the way things are done. If they say nothing needs improved,,,,have a good one see ya tomorrow. No need to go crazy they need to fix the issue or they need to pause without pay. I also am a strong believer in open team meetings. First 15-20 minutes of the day go over what's being worked on, any issues and then give each member an opportunity to speak. One rule, say whatever you want in the meeting but be respectful in your delivery. It helps head off problems early. If you don't do it already I would highly suggest it.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 05:19:06 AM »
Alan sorry about your woes but I can say is holy s!@#, you have no idea how good you have it.

I thought the other guy we had doing screens was bad. The new guy....well I can't understand how he got the job.

The screens I'm handed for my press are mostly:

Filthy - ink all over the frame. Yes, the ones that were JUST COATED AND BURNED.

You can see spots of stray ink UNDER the emulsion.

Pinholes up the yazoo.

Fish eyes.

Streaks.

Ghosts.

Abrasion.

Holes. Holes everywhere. In MOST of the screens. I counted about twelve holes in one screen. (from 1/16" to about 1/2")

Missing/pinched detail.

Images burned flipped over.

Images burned in the wrong place.

Opposite colors ganged together, which means I have to wash them all when going from a front to back print.

And worst of all....LOW tension. (all statics) Maybe 12-15 newtons TOPS on the best screens in the shop. All the rest are saggy garbage. They won't buy new screens either.

And there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I went from having my own shop with meticulously maintained Newman M3's to a shop filled with pure amateur hour disgrace. Everything I say (and the other press operator says) falls on deaf ears. They won't fire the terrible screen guy and they won't train him correctly. (and I think he doesn't give a flyin f!@# anyway) I've seen him have to re-burn screens for almost every job. One 6 color job took 14 screens to get it right.

But hey....health insurance.

*sigh*
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »
I have sent guys home before but it's been a rare occurrence, and I do think that's a great way to get a point across.  And it does suck to get lied to and that's whats happening.  I have been saving all the misprints (those have been on the rise lately) and keep track of all the mistakes in my notebook and we are going to start having meetings in the morning, I'm thinking once a week to start off and see how that goes.  I've got one guy, my printer, who is above average but he thinks he knows more than everybody else in the shop and he also thinks he knows how to handle a screen so none of the stuff that I say applies to him is how he thinks.  Then I've got two dingleberries that know what they need to do but they're just young and dumb.  They are eager to learn most of the time and they don't get along with my printer very well which nobody really does because he's such a red ass most of the time.  I'll admit I've been doing a lot of other things than hovering over them and the mistakes and problems are showing up.  I just need to spend more time in production, we do an awful lot for just 3 guys, me and an artist so spending more time out there will help some.  But the way things are in the other building and what I've been trying to do to help others out has interfered with screen printing production.  I can't give my printer an authority, he will abuse it and make everyone miserable, and the other 2 wouldn't have my printer's respect so it would be a waste of time to get someone to watch over things when I'm not back there.  We're planning on moving my office to the engraving room and putting in a few windows so I will always be able to see what's going on in production.  Right now when I'm at my desk doing something I can't see production so that's going to change in a couple of weeks and I think that will help some, but who knows how much. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
Alan, I think the meetings would help..Maybe do one on monday to start the week and let them know what you expect that week. And maybe one another time during the week. Kind of Just to give a reminder and rally the troops.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »
Sending people home... I've had it work both ways.

I sent my printer home once, I can't remember the details I'm sure he or my wife remembers them.  But he got it, loud and clear.

Then I sent our old office assistant home once.  She had spent 2 hours eating lunch and playing games (loudly) on the computer.  I asked my printer and he said "she's been doing that since you guys left".  Not that I couldn't trust his word, but I won't do that without backup, I looked through the cameras and sure enough 2 solid hours of di*king around and playing games.  I went up front and said "Why don't you go a head and clock out and go home".  This was a Friday and she responded with "Sure, works for me" and bolted.  The wife thought the message was driven home.  Her attitude seemed a LITTLE better during the next week.  Then came payday.  My wife sent my printer down the road to the restaurant where I was meeting some friends/clients/contractors he tells me that she rounded her time out that day up about 20 mins.  I'm like, you know what, I don't give a crap about 20 mins... then he tells me.  She also didn't put down that she took a lunch that day.  :o  "Ok, just fire her"  How ridiculous, I mean that is why I sent you home!!!!

So, it really depends on your employee.  My printer is a great employee now.  Granted he's only 19 so every now and then he needs a reminder to pick up the attitude (at least around customers... he's never bad to us, just a little frumpy and we don't want customers to get that vibe from him... he dates my daughter, so frumpy is expected from dealing with her ;)  ).  But 99% of the time he's great with customers and a model employee and definitely a team player.  He's coming in around noon today (his day off) because we are going look at a new facility to buy and he's as pumped about it as I am.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
I have sent guys home before but it's been a rare occurrence, and I do think that's a great way to get a point across.  And it does suck to get lied to and that's whats happening.  I have been saving all the misprints (those have been on the rise lately) and keep track of all the mistakes in my notebook and we are going to start having meetings in the morning, I'm thinking once a week to start off and see how that goes.  I've got one guy, my printer, who is above average but he thinks he knows more than everybody else in the shop and he also thinks he knows how to handle a screen so none of the stuff that I say applies to him is how he thinks.  Then I've got two dingleberries that know what they need to do but they're just young and dumb.  They are eager to learn most of the time and they don't get along with my printer very well which nobody really does because he's such a red ass most of the time.  I'll admit I've been doing a lot of other things than hovering over them and the mistakes and problems are showing up.  I just need to spend more time in production, we do an awful lot for just 3 guys, me and an artist so spending more time out there will help some.  But the way things are in the other building and what I've been trying to do to help others out has interfered with screen printing production.  I can't give my printer an authority, he will abuse it and make everyone miserable, and the other 2 wouldn't have my printer's respect so it would be a waste of time to get someone to watch over things when I'm not back there.  We're planning on moving my office to the engraving room and putting in a few windows so I will always be able to see what's going on in production.  Right now when I'm at my desk doing something I can't see production so that's going to change in a couple of weeks and I think that will help some, but who knows how much.

I do not know the dynamics of your shop so I might be just pissing in the wind. Your problem starts with the printer. Time for a reality check with that guy. If he gives you that attitude when your there what does he say to the guys when you walk away? Attitudes get check at the door here. If it walks through it gets sent right out the door.

It is not about power it is about doing what they are paid to do. They are paid to follow your rules and your procedures.

My printer a few weeks back gave me some sht over getting a color closer then where it was. Had to sit him down and let him know that if I have him change it 50 times until its right he better do it with a smile. I told him if he was willing to pay for the 7k shirts if the client rejects the color then to go ahead and run it as is. Attitude changed right then and there with an apology. I told him that I just dont tell him stuff to be bossy that it is for a reason, and that reason is important because it is part of a bigger picture. Most of these guys cant see that far or just dont care to process the big picture. If they did they would understand.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Most back room workers, don't understand. The owner is ultimately responsible for the error and sometime that can very expensive for 7,000 shirts or as little as a mesh for a screen or 2 a week. It all adds up. We call it butt cover. Safe not sorry if possible.

Shane

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Most of these guys cant see that far or just dont care to process the big picture. If they did they would understand.

BOOM!!!  That's it right there.  My guy is totally on board with this concept now.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »
Alan sorry about your woes but I can say is holy s!@#, you have no idea how good you have it.

I thought the other guy we had doing screens was bad. The new guy....well I can't understand how he got the job.

The screens I'm handed for my press are mostly:

Filthy - ink all over the frame. Yes, the ones that were JUST COATED AND BURNED.

You can see spots of stray ink UNDER the emulsion.

Pinholes up the yazoo.

Fish eyes.

Streaks.

Ghosts.

Abrasion.

Holes. Holes everywhere. In MOST of the screens. I counted about twelve holes in one screen. (from 1/16" to about 1/2")

Missing/pinched detail.

Images burned flipped over.

Images burned in the wrong place.

Opposite colors ganged together, which means I have to wash them all when going from a front to back print.

And worst of all....LOW tension. (all statics) Maybe 12-15 newtons TOPS on the best screens in the shop. All the rest are saggy garbage. They won't buy new screens either.

And there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I went from having my own shop with meticulously maintained Newman M3's to a shop filled with pure amateur hour disgrace. Everything I say (and the other press operator says) falls on deaf ears. They won't fire the terrible screen guy and they won't train him correctly. (and I think he doesn't give a flyin f!@# anyway) I've seen him have to re-burn screens for almost every job. One 6 color job took 14 screens to get it right.

But hey....health insurance.

*sigh*

Too bad you live to far north. I could put you to work.
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:29 PM »
My printer a few weeks back gave me some sht over getting a color closer then where it was. Had to sit him down and let him know that if I have him change it 50 times until its right he better do it with a smile. I told him if he was willing to pay for the 7k shirts if the client rejects the color then to go ahead and run it as is. Attitude changed right then and there with an apology. I told him that I just dont tell him stuff to be bossy that it is for a reason, and that reason is important because it is part of a bigger picture. Most of these guys cant see that far or just dont care to process the big picture. If they did they would understand.

This is one of the most important conversations you can have.   

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »
I don't believe sending people home for a day or screaming at them will work. It will only create "us vs them" mentality. If I do have to send them home, I do it quietly and tell them never to come back.

I use to scream but it did not work. So I started to hold group meetings trying to fix things. The first few months was extremely painful because they would not talk ("us vs them").
I showed them what is costing me and ask them how we can reduce that cost (rejects, quality, efficiency etc).
I got them to come up with ideas and process to improve the place. Some crazy stuff they come up with works. Makes them feel good when I am surprised.