Author Topic: I may take the plunge on an LED exposure unit  (Read 6297 times)

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: I may take the plunge on an LED exposure unit
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
From just what I know about LED's themselves, the tech is changing rapidly.  The local electric suppliers (3 of them) all don't even stock LED lighting as the models and availability are changing daily as they develop the technology.  I have to believe that will trickle down into stuff like LED exposure units and those will improve as well. 

I am curious to see where it goes for sure.
See us at the SGAI show and see where it really is. Its a lot further than most think. Can we say total cure in 15 seconds!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »
It's sad that a little guy has to come out with an independent product to push the industry.

LED's aren't new, they are currently being used as HIGH POWERED light sources for stage lighting and amazing things are being done with amazing colors.  This also isn't all that cutting edge either.

This is why competition is good/healthy for everyone, it keeps everyone moving forward vs resting on their laurels.

Keep on pushing!!!

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
It's sad that a little guy has to come out with an independent product to push the industry.

LED's aren't new, they are currently being used as HIGH POWERED light sources for stage lighting and amazing things are being done with amazing colors.  This also isn't all that cutting edge either.

This is why competition is good/healthy for everyone, it keeps everyone moving forward vs resting on their laurels.

Keep on pushing!!!
the LED exposure from M&R has been in the works for some time. I can't speak for others but it takes years of R&D before you see a lot of the product we build.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Keep on pushing!!!
the LED exposure from M&R has been in the works for some time. I can't speak for others but it takes years of R&D before you see a lot of the product we build.

AWESOME, keep pushing!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
MR HOFFMAN!

Is the SportsChallenge3EXG going to be at Long Beach?

If so I might actually have to attend for once.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
MR HOFFMAN!

Is the SportsChallenge3EXG going to be at Long Beach?

If so I might actually have to attend for once.
I am sorry but I dont understand. This is a mix of our names ON presses. Which one are you questioning?
Rich Hoffman

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
I think he means that new hybrid concoction you guys keep teasing us with.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
Yep, the creation referenced here:

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,9345.30.html
Oh the Noname machine! Yes it probably will make the L.B. show
Rich Hoffman

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »
Probably!

You sound like me!

I will probably make LB then...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Anyone have any updates on exposure times on emulsions they've used for large dc/wb runs?  Any breakdowns?  I spoke at length this week with one of the makers of an LED unit and when the conversation turned to diazo/dual cure emulsions and test field results by those who are running large runs of dc/wb, the conversation became comedic. There seems to be a dearth of info on this by the LED makers, presumably bc discharge and waterbase usage isn't big in comparison to plastisol usage so screen break down isn't a big concern for them to spend time and money into r&d.   Any updates from users?
Here at M&R we are testing every emulsion we can get our hands on this week. We hired an independent consultant Lon Winters to coat,digitally and with film expose on three different units we will be showing at the SGAI show this month . He will be at our facility all this week to run the test. A new Tri-Light CTS will be the benchmark for the comparison. All results will be available by the SGAI show on all types of emulsion.

Well on you guys Rich, that's the way to do it.  I too had a similarly promising and then ultimately disappointing conversation with both 2 other manufacturers of LED expo units when it came to exposing discharge and waterbase stencils.  "Oh it should work just fine." is not going to get a piece of new equipment in here.   

The hard thing with LED is that, if you are OK with the old school lamp + vac frame, shoot in the open air way of exposing, a higher powered metal halide setup is really cheap and easy to find used.  We have 2 5k watt Olec complete units, one of the higher end Olix integrators, extra bulbs, safety glass, photocells, mounts and a vac frame that shoots 25x36 or smaller 2up....it all cost about $1-2k and they may well last us forever.  Energy and space savings are the only major benefits I see with LED right now over used halide setups.  There's still a lot out there from old plate makers, etc. 

When LED starts outpacing halide in resolution (which I expect the CTS/LED combos may well do) and quality of exposure then this will have my undivided attention.