Author Topic: Best Wood Screens in the Universe!  (Read 1661 times)

Offline GaryG

• !!!
Best Wood Screens in the Universe!
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
We mostly use Newmans, but had to share this.
Can't say where I got them, but they are Cadillac's!

They come with Curb Feelers!
-Just mesh sticking out-
Man- they even tell me when there is a lint ball! LOL

It's Friday....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:35:15 PM by GaryG »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Best Wood Screens in the Universe!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
You are stapling the mesh, right? Don't forget the staple tape.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
Oddly enough, I was speaking to a guy on the phone today and he was telling me that one of the guys that prints near me in Orlando does his sim process on wood frames on an auto. Whatever works!

I can't see it being the best method, but its a way. Maybe he gets low on screens and gets it done none the less.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:00:08 PM »
Our earliest CMYK work was on wood frames; nice concave sides... early '80's

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
We got these free with purchase of our Rototex 8/4 14 years ago.
As said mostly Newman's, but these are stapled and have cloth tape
so thin it's a wonder they work.

It's just a funny - don't think too hard~

Gerry-
PS- the Rototex came on a semi the day before we were moving form
our house and I looked inside the trailer to find...

One arm of the 4 cross bar bent from the crated wood bent to the truck floor!!
Not on same level as yours, but it was a very bad day. Had a metal fab co straighten
in out and has been a gem ever since.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »
I found a use for my crappy wood frames... single color black ink designs that I put on ebay.  I burn the screen and catalog it with ink still in it.  We break them out and print the pending orders twice a week.  I specifically design any ebay shirts to fit in those screens... easy money and we don't have to use expensive vinyl for the 3 or 4 shirts that need to be shipped.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
We got these free with purchase of our Rototex 8/4 14 years ago.
As said mostly Newman's, but these are stapled and have cloth tape
so thin it's a wonder they work.

It's just a funny - don't think too hard~

Gerry-
PS- the Rototex came on a semi the day before we were moving form
our house and I looked inside the trailer to find...

One arm of the 4 cross bar bent from the crated wood bent to the truck floor!!
Not on same level as yours, but it was a very bad day. Had a metal fab co straighten
in out and has been a gem ever since.
That sucks but glad it worked out for you. My search is on again for an auto. This time it's gonna be new or im driving to get it myself!

Online Admiral

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
I found a use for my crappy wood frames... single color black ink designs that I put on ebay.  I burn the screen and catalog it with ink still in it.  We break them out and print the pending orders twice a week.  I specifically design any ebay shirts to fit in those screens... easy money and we don't have to use expensive vinyl for the 3 or 4 shirts that need to be shipped.

you might want to look into DTG printing

The last of our wood screens were stolen because they were left in the trailer that was stolen which had all of our beginning equipment.  Insurance covered it at MSRP so it worked out in the end.  That's one way to get rid of crappy equipment (wasn't on purpose).

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
What is the life of a static frame? Hell I've been printing with some for over 4 years now.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »

you might want to look into DTG printing

Oh, it could definitely be useful for me... lots of small orders that want a lot of colors.  But I wouldn't say I have enough to warrant a 10k purchase, and it would have to be one with white ink.  500 shirts later it might be paid off.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
What is the life of a static frame? Hell I've been printing with some for over 4 years now.
I have a customer in Chattanooga TN with some Rema Dura screens that are wood, flat, and 20+ years old.  Rema Dura was founded b Brent Fisk who now owns Xenon.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Online Admiral

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »

We don't use statics but the Panelframes are a one time stretch then replace the mesh when the tension goes too low.  I feel like this happens at about 15-16N, anything below that and the screen prints much worse and needs replacing imo.

If you are on the manual double stroking most things tension isn't going to be as important as an auto trying to get good prints produced fast.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »

We don't use statics but the Panelframes are a one time stretch then replace the mesh when the tension goes too low.  I feel like this happens at about 15-16N, anything below that and the screen prints much worse and needs replacing imo.

If you are on the manual double stroking most things tension isn't going to be as important as an auto trying to get good prints produced fast.

Have you tried a double roll (or two) to re-tension a worn panel?

That was the only way we could get many of the original "Green Screens" to work in the first place before they went Sefar.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Admiral

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »

Have you tried a double roll (or two) to re-tension a worn panel?

That was the only way we could get many of the original "Green Screens" to work in the first place before they went Sefar.

We tried some double rolls but 50% of the time the mesh would break from it so it wasn't worth it.  For the $14 bucks we just replace with new mesh when the screen is done.  We do seem to get a year or so out of the screen before remeshing anyway.  We use way more newmans on the auto and only use those on the auto for simple jobs anyway.